What would you do

• Thought I'd start this thread so others might ask for advice and maybe a little moral redemption for myself.

Like the title says What Would You Do.

I was supposed to meet up for a group ride with a few friends this morning. Two I rode with a couple of weeks ago but one I haven't seen since fall. They are staying in a hotel about 50 miles from my house so I had planned to meet up this morning before heading out for the ride. At departure time it was 56 degrees and raining so I cancelled on the morning and said I would try to catch up after the rain. Now keep in mind that I'm retired and can ride pretty much any day I want but not with friends. It's been a couple hours now and still lite rain but looks like it should be a dry afternoon. I've been caught and rode in the rain many times but don't like leaving home in the rain much less 56 and raining. So let's hear it...did I wimp out or would you have done the same thing?:/

• Yes and yes. I'll ride all day long in the rain - on my quad. Motorcycle or Sling - no thanks. I don't like spending two days to clean up from a 2 hour ride. Sounds like you might still catch up to your friends - right call!

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• if the temperature is warm enough ....but I look out and see the street in front of my house is wet....I stay home....that’s not to say I haven’t been caught in many downpours.......when my street is dry ...I ride....

As a side note I always ride with my weather radar on My phone.....And tire pressure displayed....I read too many spin out stories on this forum..

• Personally, we probably would have gone with the conditions that you described, but we live in Oregon where it rains six months out of the year and rain gear resides permanently in the SlingShot. But, more importantly, this is us, if you are not comfortable with the temperature and the rain, then why go if you are not going to enjoy yourself? You made the correct call.

Bill

• I ride in Florida all winter and Midwest all summer so I get lots of riding time. When my friends come to visit we skip the rainy times and go when dry. We have been caught out a few times but that can happen. I would have done the same as you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• I've always told the people I ride with " if you're not comfortable with the speed or conditions don't go". I've seen the outcome of somebody riding beyond their ability to make other people happy. One reason I'm not a fan of open charity rides.

If you're leading and don't think it's a good idea step away. If others want to go they can go without you.

• I bailed out of a long ride just a couple weeks ago. Started out in "light rain", but the weather got worse - lots worse. I ended up sliding off the freeway into a crappy motel 8, staying just a few hours, then heading home - through the rain again.

It was miserable, and my wife worried about me all day. I won't do it again. Its not that I don't know how to drive in the rain, its just that I don't want to risk it. Not to mention the other idiots that don't know how to drive properly.

Just my opinion, but there it is.

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• DER If you are good with yourself then all is ok. In my opinion you were right. You can ride anytime and if you want to make a long ride, come on down here. I promise to give you plenty of hotness. Again if you live to ride another day it is right.

Keep Three Wheels Down

• Yeah came out wrong, thanks for correcting. I mean it will be damn hot outside for next 3 to 4 months. Your invited also if you can stand the hotness outside.

I can do hot! We've cancelled our summer travel plans and are looking at domestic destinations. I really need to stretch my legs a bit...

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• We got the Sling for FUN. Cold and wet is not fun.

We have a RAV, Civic and Mazda pickup. They have roofs, windows, heaters, radios you can hear and AC.

Getting too old to bang my head against a wall because it feels good when I stop.

• Personally I would have skipped the ride in the sling but would have ridden a cage so I could spend time with friends, personally I care more about the camaraderie and companionship rather than what people ride in.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• Thanks all for the replies, just to update you my friends changed their ride plans trying to avoid the rain so by afternoon the rain had stopped here but was still between us . I bailed and went to the campground for the evening and enjoyed a nice fire and the DJ .

Meet up with friends this morning and got to ride till lunch so not a total loss.

• DER If you are good with yourself then all is ok. In my opinion you were right. You can ride anytime and if you want to make a long ride, come on down here. I promise to give you plenty of hotness. Again if you live to ride another day it is right.

I may just take you up on that :)