Defunding the Police

• I totally agree with SlingLow can we keep the forum drama free or as close to that as we can, nothing political can ever have a good ending.

Yes I could ignore this thread but going forward it would suck to just ignore threads based on who is posting just because it might be political, anything political keep it to the one thread so it can be easily avoided by those of us who would rather not participate in the fiasco.

I also want to be clear that I don't mean that only slingshot related discussions should be posted but use your judgement and try to avoid whatever they are talking on cnn/fox, if you heard it on tmz then it is ok to post it lol. :00008356:

Threads should be about making people laugh or smile at the very least, we all get enough of the RL BS during the day, lets not bring it here too.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• I haven't read the entire thread, so if anyone else mentioned Camden, NJ restructuring of their police force, my apologies. Here's an article about their efforts and impacts - https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/09…ew-jersey-trnd/index.html. Bloomberg has a good article on this, but the website is limited to a certain number of free articles - https://www.bloomberg.com/news…med-its-police-department.

• I have to take girlfriends mother to the doctor today and right on cue.....there Is a protest scheduled right near her house blocking the main road and next to the turnpike entrance.....it’s one of the busiest intersections in the the state...

Now I have to figure out a back way around this mess. the worst part is there is a big hospital right on that corner..and another one a mile down the road...might delay any ambulances that have to get in there....

And now they want to take away tear gas, rubber bullets and other non lethal items to control the crowds......if they take away their purses the cops will have nothing....The next law will be....protesters must be given a time out......so police must provide Comfortable couch’s To accommodate them.....they must also provide foot massages and counselors will be on hand to help The snowflakes To deal with hurt feelings....

I'm for peaceful protesting. Blocking public roads is not peaceful protesting. The reason above explains everything that needs to be said. What happens in an emergency. Isn't blocking public streets against the law?

• I haven't read the entire thread, so if anyone else mentioned Camden, NJ restructuring of their police force, my apologies. Here's an article about their efforts and impacts - https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/09…ew-jersey-trnd/index.html. Bloomberg has a good article on this, but the website is limited to a certain number of free articles - https://www.bloomberg.com/news…med-its-police-department.

I'll bet they helped, I think they are great ideas. I live about 10 miles outside Camden. In my opinion (again I don't live there) the revitalization of the waterfront (Battleship NJ, Camden Aquarium etc.) has played a big part along with Camden and surrounding areas being designated an opportunity zone, Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017. Creating jobs goes a long way in sustaining a community for long periods. My wife still won't go anywhere near Camden. The waterfront is OK. I'm not sure of the numbers. I stopped watching news from the Philly area.

https://www.camdencounty.com/s…hority/opportunity-zones/

"The Camden County Improvement Authority is executed to assist investors who are interested in projects located in any of the four Camden County Opportunity Zones."

Opportunity Zones (“OZ”) were added to the tax code by the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act 2017 on December 22, 2017. These Opportunity Zones are designed to spur economic development by providing tax benefits to investors.

• Here in Denver there has been talk of Defunding the Police... not getting rid of the Police, but defunding. Some of the ideas that were thrown around were.. why do we need a Police man or a Sheriff to be a dog catcher? Do we need a Police man or a Sheriff to validate VIN's, Denver Public Schools is talking about removing Police from all schools... and stuff like that... Not getting rid of Police, but defunding some of the functions and putting that money in the community... (Not sure I agree)

They said for the City and Country of Denver (which I don't live in) that 45% of the total budget goes to "Public Safety".... What my question is and has been for some time is that if there is that much money going to Public Safety why do they still need to have fund raisers to buy the Police and Sheriffs and protective vests and other gear to help make their job safer? The whole thing is a $$ mess and does need to be addressed.

When I called the State Patrol to ask if I had to wear a seat belt in the Sling, I was transferred to a "Trooper" and his reply was "What do you think?"... which I took as a smart ass response, so I said "If I knew the answer to that I sure wouldn't be calling you".. He then looked up the law (or so he said) and stated that the law for Colorado says wear the seatbelt. I called because I could not find that answer online any where.

My point was he was an ass over the phone, he probably would be an ass in person if I didn't have a seat belt on. Maybe that position could be defunded and a person who just answers questions be put in that position... I know it is a tough job, but just like being in the military.. They are getting paid to do it and have chosen to do it.

Wow... all that but I did add some Sling related stuff... :)

When the going gets tough.... Downshift.

• I have a thin blue line American flag on my slingshot and on my daily ride to and from work I wave at every police person I see. It’s actually gotten to the point where often times they wave before I can get my hand out. I support them and show it whenever possible and around here they know it

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Info

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Supporting first responders does not mean I am not open to rethinking how the job should be done. And as I said in my op it’s not political it’s simply a matter of trying to think of changes that make it safer for the police and also improve the relationship between them and the public.

• I have a thin blue line American flag on my slingshot and on my daily ride to and from work I wave at every police person I see. It’s actually gotten to the point where often times they wave before I can get my hand out. I support them and show it whenever possible and around here they know it

Just think how it would be if we could get more people to do the same

I have Back the Blue decal as well and I am very respectful every time they pull me over... I know most of the local LEO's because I work security for our outdoor concert series and they always are on hand because we serve beer and wine. Most live locally

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• I’ve heard when you go to court for a ticket most of the time one of the questions asked by the judge is.....was mr. offender respectful during your encounter. If the answer is yes you are more than likely shown some leniency.

Yesterday I was in my SS at a red light. Mr. texter was still sitting there after the light was green. I blew the horn and he flips me the bird. So because he’s an idiot I was he bad guy. That’s part of the problem. Nobody takes responsibility. In his little brain he was not the problem. It was that guy behind me. How does his illegal action become my fault?

Cops deal with idiots like him all day long.

• so I just found out the protest in monroeville PA yesterday that. I had to skirt was organized by a 16 year old girl because she thought her voice should be heard....don’t know her race....but she held it in front of a strip mall....I’m sure those businesses lost thousands of dollars....

Thankfully it didn’t get violent....but who would have been responsible? If I did it and it got violent I’d be charged with inciting a riot, risking a catastrophe ...and probably other charges...

if she wanted to be heard she could have written a letter to the editor.....if she can write...

Next who gave her the authority to hold a protest.....why would we cave in to the wishes of a 16 year old? Who made that decision? And why? Who pays the store owners! Who paid for the large police presence ....I saw multiple state troupers hidden (Staged) by the turnpike entrance...1/2 mile from the protest.. those used to be called flash mobs....

What’s next 8 year olds protesting more milk and cookies....We are descending into the abyss I hope we can recover some normalcy...before it’s too late ..

• I’ve heard when you go to court for a ticket most of the time one of the questions asked by the judge is.....was mr. offender respectful during your encounter. If the answer is yes you are more than likely shown some leniency.

Yesterday I was in my SS at a red light. Mr. texter was still sitting there after the light was green. I blew the horn and he flips me the bird. So because he’s an idiot I was he bad guy. That’s part of the problem. Nobody takes responsibility. In his little brain he was not the problem. It was that guy behind me. How does his illegal action become my fault?

Cops deal with idiots like him all day long.

And this is an area I think could be open to some type of realignment - what if there were a well marked division of the police who's sole duty and authority was limited to enforcing traffic laws? - before you answer think about this - a division in cars marked "traffic control" that was only authorized to deal with enforcing traffic laws, they only watched traffic and issued tickets when needed - - -these officers would probably be much safer when they pulled someone over because the person being pulled over would know it was only a traffic ticket even if they had drugs in the car or a warrant for something else they would know that this was a "traffic cop" - - - these days cops are worried about getting shot when they pull someone over because the guy might be afraid its something more - - with a specific well market traffic division this problem could be minimized / eliminated - also this job could be given to the least experienced officers and could free up more experienced officers for investigating the more serious non-traffic related crimes.

I just think that right now the way our society has become there have to be changes that could be made, some as simple as what I suggested above, that could make it much safer for our police and at the same time minimizing the negative feelings that so many people seem to get whenever they see a cop

fear of the unknown - - - it creates tension between police and civilians - - so why not make any changes we can to eliminate as much as possible the unknowns?

• a lot of the time the traffic offender turns out to be someone with warrants or just committed a crime....This and domestic calls are probably the most dangerous....

they are working on changes.....we will have to wait to see the final results.

as long as there is crime and people willing to commit them....we need a policing agency.....maybe tougher penalties for crime is the better answer....take away the incentive.

resisting arrest Should have mandatory penalties. Running from a traffic stop should have mandatory penalties...no plea deals no negotiation.... you do this....you get this...let the police be the final determination of guilt and innocence.....issue body cameras that can not be turned off...If there is not camera footage...charge the cop.

• a lot of the time the traffic offender turns out to be someone with warrants or just committed a crime....This and domestic calls are probably the most dangerous....

they are working on changes.....we will have to wait to see the final results.

as long as there is crime and people willing to commit them....we need a policing agency.....maybe tougher penalties for crime is the better answer....take away the incentive.

resisting arrest Should have mandatory penalties. Running from a traffic stop should have mandatory penalties...no plea deals no negotiation.... you do this....you get this...let the police be the final determination of guilt and innocence.....issue body cameras that can not be turned off...If there is not camera footage...charge the cop.

your missing the point - - allot of the time the cop ends up shot because the offender just committed a crime or had a warrant and the cop wasn't even pulling them over for that- - if it was purely a traffic cop this might not happen and other non traffic cops could deal with that other crime later - - - - less risk to cops only wanting to give a speeding ticket or a fix it ticket - - - unknowns kill cops and make perps over react

• this might not happen

And there is the problem, That most powerful word "MIGHT".

IF that criminal would not have tried to pass off counterfeit money.....

THAT cop would not have been sent to that business....

THAT criminal would not have resisted arrest...

causing THAT cop to go "Hands On" and restrain him with force...

In MY opinion, the only way to stop all the bullshit happening in the country, a country supposedly founded on rules and laws to ensure civilized citizens can live in a civilized society is to ENFORCE those laws 100% with no regard to religion, race, age or economic standing.

No plea bargaining, no deals, no reduced sentences, no early release.

If you do "this" crime, you get "this" time. And NO concurrent sentences.

To combat corruption in politics, term limits of 2 terms, PERIOD. After which no more public office, ANY OFFICE.

Once done, you have NO ACCESS to government from your private job, no Advisory bull shit.

NO "full" or "lifetime" retirement benefits.

All you get is a 401K Match up to 3% or 6%, whatever.

• The Police Chief in my little burg (pop. 3500) lives two blocks up the street. My wife and I walk our dog twice a day and go by his house. He has 4 younger kids. His daughter, maybe 3 or 4 years old, always waves and says HI. (I think she's probably talking to our dog.) If she is inside when we go by, she taps on the front window and waves. We have told her mother, "She makes the day for a couple of old coots!"

Even before he became Chief, whenever we would see him, I would say, "Remember, there are crazies out there. These kids need you to come home."

If we see a cop while walking the dog, we wave and they wave back.

I love living in the backwater of "civilization". Does anyone know if Dewey or Truman won the election? We haven't gotten the latest news yet.

• I would agree with most everything you said except not being able to hold ANY public office after 2 terms. I am in agreement with 2 terms at any given position to never be repeated but I believe if they did a good enough job in those 2 terms then they could be eligible for a higher office for 2 terms. Let’s say they were the mayor of a city then they were elected to the office of Governor then they ran for President. I am definitely against these folks that sit in the same office for years and years.

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• The Police Chief in my little burg (pop. 3500) lives two blocks up the street. My wife and I walk our dog twice a day and go by his house. He has 4 younger kids. His daughter, maybe 3 or 4 years old, always waves and says HI. (I think she's probably talking to our dog.) If she is inside when we go by, she taps on the front window and waves. We have told her mother, "She makes the day for a couple of old coots!"

Even before he became Chief, whenever we would see him, I would say, "Remember, there are crazies out there. These kids need you to come home."

If we see a cop while walking the dog, we wave and they wave back.

I love living in the backwater of "civilization". Does anyone know if Dewey or Truman won the election? We haven't gotten the latest news yet.

I must agree that I too love living in a more rural area - - I really dislike big cities, never saw the attraction that some people see in places like NYC or San Francisco - - - I mean its okay to visit, but way to fast and hectic for me to deal with on a daily basis