Defunding the Police

• Defunding the Police - - This is a something that we all have been hearing people on the left yelling both in public opinion pieces and at these protests that have been happening - - This got me to thinking - - when you take away all of the political BS, all of the racial component and all of the other right vs left garbage - - is there a way that we could do things differently that would be better for everyone?

so all politics aside tell me - - do you feel that the police keep you safe? After all isnt that what we have police for?

When I think about it to me I am not really very sure that I am much safer because of the fact that there are police driving around "patrolling" - - what are the odds of them actually being in the right place at the right time to actually stop a crime - - - yes the fact that people know they can get arrested does serve as a deterrent to some degree, but wouldn't that same deterrent still be there if all of the officers were at the station all day?

Dont get me wrong, I love the police and I respect the job they do - hell I even have a thin blue line American flag on my Slingshot

I am just wondering out loud and asking you here if perhaps we have moved to a point in time where the traditional idea of how a police force is implemented is no longer current or effective

Do we need police walking a beat or out patrolling like the sheriff would have done in the old west - - looking for trouble? Do they actually stop any measurable amount of crime doing this? - do they make YOU feel safer?

Perhaps instead of doing this they could simply be stationed in multiple small staging offices scattered around town where they were ready to be deployed as quickly as possible to reported crimes - - right now if I call 911 it could be a very long time before I got help, on the other hand if my neighborhood had its own pair of officers located centrally to the neighborhood they could probably get here in a minute or 2

We call them "Law Enforcement", but is that what you think they really do? to they "enforce" anything or are they mostly, 99% just there after the fact? - - do you think it might be time to rethink how a police are used? is the model of the 1800's old west with the sheriff patrolling looking for trouble out of date?

what do you think? pretty sure we all agree that defunding is not the answer. but is it time for an extreme makeover?

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Sorry to disagree with you sir but maybe you should take a long look at who is pushing this. It is all about creating chaos and breaking down the fabric of society. They have been laying in wait for just such an opportunity to move this forward. Do you honestly believe this was a spontaneous response. Nope - have you looked at just how organized they are. Plus they are backed by the media who are backed by the same people. This honestly has nothing to do with police.

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• Did you read my post all the way to the end? Because you are not even addressing it. Seems as if all you read was the title

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Info

• What did I say that you disagree with?

• Yes maybe I jumped the gun a bit but this shit is wearing my on patience.

We just have so many good men and women putting their life on the line and I hate to see them disrespected. I know we both stand on the same ground and guess like you i was trying to make a point - maybe the same point in a different way. My apology is in the mail.

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• I read the whole thing myself. You cannot get rid of the police in any form and or have them on stand-by. It is kind of like the robber breaking into your house, do you for one minute think that the robber will break in knowing that you are at home and armed. Think about it! Why do we have police, sheriff's, state troopers and federal officers to start with. It would be open season for the lawless.

• I never suggested getting rid of police. I am talking about perhaps changing / updating how they work. Around here a 911 call will almost never stop a crime. Hell it could take 30 minutes or more for them to even get here because they are out driving around looking for crime that never seem to find. I don’t feel like I am any safer in my home because of their patrol. Do you? I would rather they skip the patrol which might bust a traffic violator and actually be available to get to a 911 call in 5 minutes.

• I have guns, one of the reasons why I have guns is because I know the police as they are set up today can not protect me.

• seriously - - do you think the way the police system is set up in this country is the best way possible?

could it be reconfigured so that officers time was more focused on protecting people before crime happened?

I dont know about other areas, but even here in my peaceful little valley almost all of our police commanders / chiefs are imported from out of the valley - - its how they seem to do the hiring - - is that the best way to serve the community or would it be better if all police in a community came from within that community?

where my wife comes from in the Philippines each little neighborhood has their own "police captain" who is from within that neighborhood and is in charge of watching over than neighborhood - - - could something like that be done here? and if your own neighbor was the captain over your little area would you like it better that how it is done now?

Like I said in my OP, I am not for getting rid of police nor am I for any kind of defunding, But I do think that running things the way we do, which hasnt been changed in 100's of years just might be outdated - - - bringing in outside "enforcers" into neighborhoods just seems to me like a problem waiting to happen and personally it does not make me feel particularly safe

So now - would you change anything? do you think its perfect the way it is? - - if not what do you think might make it better? what could they change that might make you think you dont need a gun toprotect your family?

• there are many factors to this question....

there is a psychological Safety aspect to Know the police are just a phone call away....24/7.

first of all there is an increasing lack of respect for police...and it started many years ago....in the hippy days....So how do we change that? It has to start at home and in schools...
    policing is becoming an increasingly dangerous profession. why?

It’s not the fault of the police if people they are arresting resist arrest. Or run from a traffic stop. There are rules we all learned as children.. obey the law. Obey the police. Comply with commands. Show respect when stopped. If you just turn around and let them cuff you....why would you get hurt. You aren’t threatening them....you aren’t putting them in danger....

I would say 99% of the time police are pursuing criminals that have already been in trouble..So the chances of the “actor” getting violent and resisting goes way up. They don’t want to go back to jail. This makes them more dangerous.

That said several years ago police brutality was being blamed on “roid rage” from them using steroids to increase muscle mass....to give them a physical advantage of over perps. Steroids causes mental imbalances and anger issues....

Also an increase in drug use by criminals gives them drug muscles....making them feel invincible...so fighting to resist arrest increases.

Perhaps more money is needed to educate the population on respect...of authority. But it needs to start young. Remember the scared stiff programs? They took at risk kids into prisons to show them what jail is like and the prisoners acted as mentors......what happened to that.

Defunding the police will demoralize them and future applicants. They need Full community support And appreciation. Better training couldn’t hurt on both sides of the issue...

if the police aren’t there to protect us then who? It doesn’t matter what you call them....it will still be the same job. Protecting the public from criminal elements. We can’t have everyone running rampant....unless they want to go back to the old west days and everyone straps on a gun.....maybe that’s the answer....force everyone to wear a sidearm... If the criminals know everyone has a gun...And compleat authority to protect themselves..... things might settle down....Bring back wanted posters...with a reward...dead or alive....

But we definitely need authority figures In our towns and cities....with guns and the power to arrest. Whatever you want to call them...

• I think technology could also play a larger roll than it currently is - I think all police should have body cameras, they can protect the good cops from false accusations and also help weeding out the not so good cops.
    Also how do you people feel about the use of drones or other surveillance tech? I certainly wouldn't want them invading my personal privacy at home, but I do think the tech could be used to patrol and watch hi risk public areas - - this could make the police safer reduce misunderstandings and also free up officers to be available to respond and help at other locations.

Just trying to think outside the box - - keeping cops safe and improving the relationship between cops and the public - - - - - - living where I do we done have the inner city type of interaction between police and the public that seems to lead to so many conflicts - - what ideas do you have?

• I think one thing that would be fairly easy that could make a huge difference would be if police forces tried as best as possible to have the police that are out on the ground to actually be from and live in the neighborhoods they are responsible for protecting - - I would think just this alone would greatly improve the relationship between the police and the people - - - having the cop be the guy who lives down the street, the guy who's kids play with your kid has to work better than having a cop who is viewed as an outsider who doesn't even know the personality of the neighborhood

• I think technology could also play a larger roll than it currently is - I think all police should have body cameras, they can protect the good cops from false accusations and also help weeding out the not so good cops.
    Also how do you people feel about the use of drones or other surveillance tech? I certainly wouldn't want them invading my personal privacy at home, but I do think the tech could be used to patrol and watch hi risk public areas - - this could make the police safer reduce misunderstandings and also free up officers to be available to respond and help at other locations.

Just trying to think outside the box - - keeping cops safe and improving the relationship between cops and the public - - - - - - living where I do we done have the inner city type of interaction between police and the public that seems to lead to so many conflicts - - what ideas do you have?

Sounds like Big Brother watching over us to me

• Sounds like Big Brother watching over us to me

if a cop is standing there watching isnt big brother watching? - - its called public, from a legal point of view there is no right to an expectation of privacy when you are out in public. Legally I can stand there with a telephoto lens and take pictures of every person and it is 100% legal and if anyone tries to stop me they are the one breaking the law - - - as an ex professional photographer this is something that is well known and regularly upheld in courts - - if not there would be no street photography

I guess with my photography background I just dont see how the police using cameras or drones really changes much - - if the law says anyone on public property has the right to take pictures of anyone else on public property and this right has been upheld in the courts - - whats the point of worrying if its the cops camera or where that camera is mounted

• I think one thing that would be fairly easy that could make a huge difference would be if police forces tried as best as possible to have the police that are out on the ground to actually be from and live in the neighborhoods they are responsible for protecting - - I would think just this alone would greatly improve the relationship between the police and the people - - - having the cop be the guy who lives down the street, the guy who's kids play with your kid has to work better than having a cop who is viewed as an outsider who doesn't even know the personality of the neighborhood

That would be "neighborhood" policing sort of. I am a Constable in Alabama and we are required to live in the precinct where we are elected. Although we can and do go anywhere in the county we are really only responsible for our own precinct. On one side of the coin it normally works well because I live in a rural area and know "MOST" of the people who live in my precinct. That might not work so well in bigger cities where that are many thousands of people within a given precinct. I can see where having your family at risk for someone seeking revenge for the job you do being a concern. Yes my family does face the same possibilities but from much fewer folks and most of them are known to us so they/we are not as likely to be blindsided. The fact still remains when you apprehend and arrest someone and they have to go away for a long time the possibility of them or some of their family and friends seeking revenge is real. That is one reason why some cops prefer not to have their families live where they police.

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• Edward Neal let me tell you, in most jurisdictions cops don't "patrol" they are completely call driven these days. Cops are told today that " there were calls holding when you came on and will be go home". It has been this way since the land bust in the late 80s. When I started we had 6 sectors, each divided up into 10 districts each staffed by one officer. Officers had ownership of their district and took exception to crime occurring in their district. In the 90s they tried to split the sector up in to 4 large districts staffed by 2 officers each. This was disastrous . No one had any responsibility. We finally got it switched back but by then we were so understaffed that we could only cover half the districts and officer were still just going call to call to call. We tried to go to the public showing them how many districts were uncovered. The city response? We went back to 4 districts so the city could say there is an officer in every district. When I started we did have time to "patrol" and yes we did catch a lot of people in the act. I'm afraid that is a lost art now. I don't think we can ever get back

Sent from my iPad using Polaris Slingshot Info