WORD OF WARNING

• thank you for helping - like I said my question was only intended to better my understanding of such things - - one semester of high school metal shop 50 years ago and the only part I remember was making brass pipes for smoking - - - whatever - - - not really enough to help me understand such things all this time later

Hey! You still got any of those pipes laying around? We'll need them if I ever get over to the Springs... lol :D

"If I were a Jedi, there's a 100% chance I would use the force inappropriately!"

• You have to admit and I don't believe anyone would disagree too badly with me when I say that in my very humble opinion, I believe the Slingshot was neither designed nor built to handle the stress of being souped-up and driven the way some of you crazy cats do, but I say that with a smile on my face and don't mean any hard feelings. I'm not an engineer either... ;)

considering the stress that a setup like rabtech has must put on the angle drive and the belt I personally am very impressed that he doesnt go through both on an almost daily basis - - - - probably a very good thing that he cant get any real solid traction 8|

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Hey! You still got any of those pipes laying around? We'll need them if I ever get over to the Springs... lol :D

that s#it is legal here now, but I never much cared for it anyway - - back in my high school days a nice brass pipe turned on the lathe got me extra money for gas and smokes - - at 35 cents gallon the extra money came in handy

oh and that was for the ethyl

• considering the stress that a setup like rabtech has must put on the angle drive and the belt I personally am very impressed that he doesnt go through both on an almost daily basis - - - - probably a very good thing that he cant get any real solid traction 8|

He's running one of these braces also. He got one prior to release. Since we are both making the same amount of power, I figured he'd be a good beta tester. The belts are strong. I just ran a 1/4mi a couple weeks ago on a fully prepped track with a full slick and the belt was popping on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts but I did not break any teeth off the belt. I can post the video in a different thread so not to derail the OPs thread here.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• He's running one of these braces also. He got one prior to release. Since we are both making the same amount of power, I figured he'd be a good beta tester. The belts are strong. I just ran a 1/4mi a couple weeks ago on a fully prepped track with a full slick and the belt was popping on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts but I did not break any teeth off the belt. I can post the video in a different thread so not to derail the OPs thread here.

look forward to seeing that - the power you guys run is very impressive =O

• Edward, speaking from my experience your doubts are well founded and you should not be ridiculed. Having worked for an aircraft manufacturing company it was not uncommon where we would have a problem with a component cracking. The engineer(s) would plan out a fix, we would apply the fix, just to have new cracks arise elsewhere because of unforeseen transfer of stresses created by the "fix."

Bill

• Edward, speaking from my experience your doubts are well founded and you should not be ridiculed. Having worked for an aircraft manufacturing company it was not uncommon where we would have a problem with a component cracking. The engineer(s) would plan out a fix, we would apply the fix, just to have new cracks arise elsewhere because of unforeseen transfer of stresses created by the "fix."

Bill

I do appreciate the support Bill, but I also understand Kyle's concern that my question could be taken in a negative way

anyway I think Kyle D and I are all good now and I never took his reply as being ridicule

anyway thanks - 8o

Bill

Nobody is "ridiculing" anyone. Wording is extremely important when phrasing things, especially in a forum setting where everything is typed. We're all just keyboard warriors. There can be a lot lost in text and intent can be blurry. We aren't sitting in a back yard around a camp fire having a drink together. Although I'm never opposed to that. It's noble to stick up for your friend but I have no issues with Edward. I've had a couple experiences with people on this forum where they were talking about my turbo kit and what does and does not come with it and they were wrong on many accounts. But it was worded in a way that made it seem like it was semi bashing, made it sound like it was not a complete kit, there were no options for anything, and that was simply not true. I spoke up then also because had I not, someone else new to the forum could have stumbled across that and have had the impression that certain things were not available and there were additional things that needed to be purchased but in reality were part of the kit. Again, phrasing and context is important and I have no issue with Edward but the way the question was presented had the potential for turning a very successful product sideways. And as the vendor of said product, it is my right and my job to protect it and set the record straight when needed. Hope this clears things up a little bit and there are no hard feelings.

• Oil can be looked at under a

Microscope to see the molecules. Or using a spectrometer. They can tell exactly whose oil it was. But he said the dealer added the non Polaris oil. So who bought the nonpolaris oil? Him or Polaris dealer.
    after reading this and having just bought the brace I’ll be careful when torquing everything Correctly and uniformly.
    a bearing failure sounds like a factory issue. But was the nonpolaris oil crappy? Which caused the bearing to fail?

too many questions to draw a good conclusion.

• Back to the Original Post.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act covers warranties for any consumer product. One of the things I saw claimed was that Polaris denied coverage because they did not use Polaris-BRANDED oil. This is one of the things specially called out and prevented by the MMWA. Additionally, Polaris must show that any aftermarket goods caused the damage to deny claim. Simply having aftermarket accessories does not invalidate any warranty.

I am NOT an expert in the MMWA, but I do have to deal with it in my job on a routine basis. I suggest your friend consult an attorney (being that it is above $750, it is no longer just Small Claims). They can also contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) for more information.

• This is how potentially damaging conspiracy theories get started. It's posed as a simple question but in reality its not. It's a malicious statement whether it was intended to be or not. The brace is not putting pressure or stress on the drive, case, or bearing. It is simply reinforcing the case and yoke which is already there. If the drive moves at all while driving, the brace isn't adding stress to the case. Remember, it is connected to the case, not the frame. If the drive moves or rotates the braces moves with it.

I apologize, Kyle, I hear what you are saying but by what you are saying I believe that your statements are not entirely accurate. For the brace to be functional, it must be exerting a force changing how the angle drive is allowed to react to any pressure being exerted upon it, or else it would be serving no purpose as a brace. Now, can this "reinforcing the case and yoke" be detrimental to the original design? I believe this to be a valid question and concern from Polaris' point of view.

Bill

• [quote='chavey2','https://slingshotinfo.com/index.php?thread/9219-word-of-warning/&postID=310273#post310273']

Back to the Original Post.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act covers warranties for any consumer product. One of the things I saw claimed was that Polaris denied coverage because they did not use Polaris-BRANDED oil. This is one of the things specially called out and prevented by the MMWA. Additionally, Polaris must show that any aftermarket goods caused the damage to deny claim. Simply having aftermarket accessories does not invalidate any warranty.

I am NOT an expert in the MMWA, but I do have to deal with it in my job on a routine basis. I suggest your friend consult an attorney (being that it is above $750, it is no longer just Small Claims). They can also contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) for more information.

[/quote]

See post # 3. It explains why MMWA doesn’t apply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The MMWA does not apply to an optional extended "warranty" offered by a manufacturer, only the original factory warranty. The manufacturer sets whatever terms they want as it is classed the same as an insurance policy. Please download the actual extended "warranty" text I linked in my original reply and you can read the terms for yourself. If you purchased it you agreed to them.

..... nerd-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• I apologize, Kyle, I hear what you are saying but by what you are saying I believe that your statements are not entirely accurate. For the brace to be functional, it must be exerting a force changing how the angle drive is allowed to react to any pressure being exerted upon it, or else it would be serving no purpose as a brace. Now, can this "reinforcing the case and yoke" be detrimental to the original design, I believe this to be a valid question and concern from Polaris' point of view.

Bill

The angle drives all break in the same spot from all the ones I have seen. If you look directly at the yoke and put a clock face on it, most seem to break between 10 and 12. It breaks the yoke and the case as well usually. When I said it moves with the drive, I mean as a whole. When they break it is cause by the upward shocking motion of the driveshaft caused when you do a burnout, get off and right back on the gas again, etc. Our brace is there encompassing and reinforcing that fragile area and not applying pressure. Now, if we are talking about the "brace" below this guy made using sheet metal and a muffler clamp where he is just going around a small portion of the yoke and running the nuts on the back home to achieve the tightness, then yes I would agree that a brace of that style could be a cause for concern. I appreciate your feedback.

Extended warranties are not subject to the MMWA and can be pretty much voided on a whim if you have ANY aftermarket anywhere in the vehicle, also the MMWA doesn't say that they have to prove that the aftermarket part caused the problem but that it LIKELY caused the problem and that is how they get you if they get one of their techs to write up that the failure is likely due to inappropriate installation or aftermarket parts installed then they can void the warranty.

In the case of the angle drive there are many slings getting hammered and their angle drives are fine, the ones failing are(for now) far and few in between and likely just defective units but if they suddenly find a 3rd party brace there whether or not the brace really cause damage we will never know without a detailed forensic analysis but is questionable enough that they can use that to void the warranty.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• THE REPAIR WAS DONE AT MAXIM CYCLE IN MERRIVILLE INDIANA WHERE HE PURCHASED THE SS. AND I JUST CONFIRMED WITH HIM THE COST AND THAT THAT WAS ALL THEY REPAIRED.

'It's about the ride not the destination"