WORD OF WARNING

• RECENTLY A FRIEND OF MINE HAD HIS ANGLE DRIVE START MAKING A LOUD HOWLING AND CRUNCHING NOISE. HE IMMEDIATELY DROPPED OFF THE SS AT DEALER. 2 WEEKS LATER DEALER CONTACTED HIM AND STATED THE GEARS IN HIS ANGLE DRIVE WERE SHEERED OFF AND THE FRONT BEARING WAS DAMAGED. AND THAT POLARIS WOULD COVER REPLACEMENT OF THE BEARING UNDER WARRANTY, BUT THE GEARS WOULD NOT BE COVERED BECAUSE HE HAD THE GEAR OIL REPLACED (BY DEALER) WITH NON POLARIS BRAND OIL, AND BECAUSE HE HAD A ZZP PERFORMANCE PINION BRACE, REV TECH AIR RIDE AND LARGER THAN STOCK RIMS AND TIRES. THE REPAIR COST HIM 3700 AND CHANGE. I AM NOT AN ENGINEER BUT MY THOUGHTS ARE THIS IF THE FRONT BEARING GOES OUT THAT WOULD ALLOW THE ANGLE OF THE PINION GEAR TO BE ALTERED TO THAT OF THE RING GEAR THUS CAUSING AN INCORRECT BACK LASH AND WOULD RUIN THE GEARS? BUT POLARIS DOES NOT SEE IT THAT WAY THEY SAID IT WAS ALL CAUSED BY THE USE OF THE AFTERMARKET ITEMS AND NOT THE FAILURE OF THEIR BEARING. HE ALSO HAS THE EXTENDED WARRANTY. PLEASE DO NOT THINK I AM KNOCKING ANYONE'S PRODUCTS WITH THIS POST I HAVE THE UP MOST FAITH IN THE AFTERMARKET COMPANIES THAT PRODUCE PRODUCTS FOR OUR SS I AM JUST LETTING YOU KNOW THAT IT WOULD SEEM POLARIS IS NOT BACKING THEIR PRODUCT.:cursing::cursing::cursing:

'It's about the ride not the destination"

If out of the original factory warranty the extended warranty clearly states they can deny coverage if any non Polaris parts are installed or any parts not installed by a Polaris dealer ....

Been trying to warn owners of this for years .....

• I guess that ends up being about the dealer whether the dealer says aftermarket parts or not. With all the mods people do and not many people keep them completely stock sounds like a reason not to have the extended warranty . But again if you have a good dealer he's probably not going to tell the extended warranty people about your adidon parts unless they're really relevant to the failure.

• I guess that ends up being about the dealer whether the dealer says aftermarket parts or not. With all the mods people do and not many people keep them completely stock sounds like a reason not to have the extended warranty . But again if you have a good dealer he's probably not going to tell the extended warranty people about your adidon parts unless they're really relevant to the failure.

Polaris now requires photos of the entire Slingshot before approving an extended warranty claim.... the extended warranty falls under different rules than the original factory warranty. They can, since its outlined in the document, deny you an engine claim for an aftermarket steering wheel if they choose.

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• extended warranty is one of the reasons why I am very hesitant to do certain mods - the angle drive brace is one in particular that I considered and then decided against for exactly this reason - I figured if anything went wrong with the angle drive or if it cracked or broke like so many have and then had to be towed to the dealer that when they saw the brace they would instantly say it put stress on the case or in some other way caused the problem - - same reason why I am still debating doing the recall fuse fix myself - not sure if it could later be used against me to refuse coverage under my extended warranty

I paid good money for that extra coverage and I dont want to make any changes that mess it up

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• extended warranty is one of the reasons why I am very hesitant to do certain mods - the angle drive brace is one in particular that I considered and then decided against for exactly this reason - I figured if anything went wrong with the angle drive or if it cracked or broke like so many have and then had to be towed to the dealer that when they saw the brace they would instantly say it put stress on the case or in some other way caused the problem - - same reason why I am still debating doing the recall fuse fix myself - not sure if it could later be used against me to refuse coverage under my extended warranty

I paid good money for that extra coverage and I dont want to make any changes that mess it up

Good, sound reasoning, as far as the recall goes, as long as it does not cost anything, (once we get the SlingShot to the dealer), and Polaris will take all responsibility of it's installation, we are going to just let a dealer do it!

Bill

• Good, sound reasoning, as far as the recall goes, as long as it does not cost anything, (once we get the SlingShot to the dealer), and Polaris will take all responsibility of it's installation, we are going to just let a dealer do it!

Bill

The way I am going on making it to the dealer for the recall I cant guarantee I will even get it done before the extended warranty is up = and thats 2022 =O

• actually I would like to know how they identified the gear oil brand - - - is polaris gear oil a special color or something?

• As a side question is it possible that the pinion brace puts some type of pressure or stress on the angle drive or the bearing?

I am not an engineer, but this would seem plausible to me

• As a side question is it possible that the pinion brace puts some type of pressure or stress on the angle drive or the bearing?

I am not an engineer, but this would seem plausible to me

This is how potentially damaging conspiracy theories get started. It's posed as a simple question but in reality its not. It's a malicious statement whether it was intended to be or not. The brace is not putting pressure or stress on the drive, case, or bearing. It is simply reinforcing the case and yoke which is already there. If the drive moves at all while driving, the brace isn't adding stress to the case. Remember, it is connected to the case, not the frame. If the drive moves or rotates the braces moves with it.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• RECENTLY A FRIEND OF MINE HAD HIS ANGLE DRIVE START MAKING A LOUD HOWLING AND CRUNCHING NOISE. HE IMMEDIATELY DROPPED OFF THE SS AT DEALER. 2 WEEKS LATER DEALER CONTACTED HIM AND STATED THE GEARS IN HIS ANGLE DRIVE WERE SHEERED OFF AND THE FRONT BEARING WAS DAMAGED. AND THAT POLARIS WOULD COVER REPLACEMENT OF THE BEARING UNDER WARRANTY, BUT THE GEARS WOULD NOT BE COVERED BECAUSE HE HAD THE GEAR OIL REPLACED (BY DEALER) WITH NON POLARIS BRAND OIL, AND BECAUSE HE HAD A ZZP PERFORMANCE PINION BRACE, REV TECH AIR RIDE AND LARGER THAN STOCK RIMS AND TIRES. THE REPAIR COST HIM 3700 AND CHANGE. I AM NOT AN ENGINEER BUT MY THOUGHTS ARE THIS IF THE FRONT BEARING GOES OUT THAT WOULD ALLOW THE ANGLE OF THE PINION GEAR TO BE ALTERED TO THAT OF THE RING GEAR THUS CAUSING AN INCORRECT BACK LASH AND WOULD RUIN THE GEARS? BUT POLARIS DOES NOT SEE IT THAT WAY THEY SAID IT WAS ALL CAUSED BY THE USE OF THE AFTERMARKET ITEMS AND NOT THE FAILURE OF THEIR BEARING. HE ALSO HAS THE EXTENDED WARRANTY. PLEASE DO NOT THINK I AM KNOCKING ANYONE'S PRODUCTS WITH THIS POST I HAVE THE UP MOST FAITH IN THE AFTERMARKET COMPANIES THAT PRODUCE PRODUCTS FOR OUR SS I AM JUST LETTING YOU KNOW THAT IT WOULD SEEM POLARIS IS NOT BACKING THEIR PRODUCT.:cursing::cursing::cursing:

What I meant to say is, thanks for the information. I agree with everything Kyle said in the quote below and already knew most of that, but when something is under warranty, it really doesn't surprise me at all that Polaris would find fault with the installation of any aftermarket part, so to be on the safe side, as long as my Sling is still under warranty, I'll remove aftermarket mods that I've installed before taking it in for a repair. After the warranty expires, well, that's a different story, but in the mean time...

"If I were a Jedi, there's a 100% chance I would use the force inappropriately!"

Edited once, last by Roadhawg ().

• This is how potentially damaging conspiracy theories get started. It's posed as a simple question but in reality its not. It's a malicious statement whether it was intended to be or not. The brace is not putting pressure or stress on the drive, case, or bearing. It is simply reinforcing the case and yoke which is already there. If the drive moves at all while driving, the brace isn't adding stress to the case. Remember, it is connected to the case, not the frame. If the drive moves or rotates the braces moves with it.

hey - sorry was not intending anything bad - - just asking - like I said I am no engineer and it seems like a reasonable question.

looking at it to me it looks like tightening the clamp around where the bearing is could put sideways pressure on that area toward the plate that is bolted to the side of the case - and it also looks like it could, if over tightened, squeeze the part where the bearing is putting excess pressure there - - like I said, I am not an engineering and I have no knowledge about the dynamics of things like this, this is why I asked.

just to be clear to anyone reading this or my original question - PLEASE do not take these posts as any kind of accusation that the brace is in anyway a risk - - - I want to make it very clear I HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE ON SUCH THINGS

the only reason for my question was to better understand what the people who denied the warranty claim might have been thinking

Kyle D - - sorry for any issues you think I may have caused with my question and I hope this post will make it clear to others that it was not my intent to start any rumors - - Thank you for clarifying this

Edited 2 times, last by Edward Neal ().

All I have to say on this subject is that the friend got screwed BIG time by a Slingshot dealer that should be driven out of business? WHY? A complete new angle drive assembly from Polaris retails for $1599. So even if Polaris didn't pay anything towards the repair, was he charged $2100 in LABOR to do this job? I guess their techs are social distancing from home and instructing blind people on how to change out the angle drive. it sure would be nice to know who the dealer is so we all can stay away from them

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• That's a good theory, Edward, but I don't think the case metal is that soft. I think the brace simply helps prevent the case from exploding outward as a result of internal forces pushing out on it. I don't believe the brace squeezes the case enough to cause it to collapse inward on the bearing. If it did, I would be standing on Polaris' desk demanding to know why they used such inferior metal in the construction. Kyle D is correct. The brace isn't attached to anything that would prevent natural flexing in the drive train, but I'm sure Polaris would argue the point in defense of not paying for a repair that would normally be covered under warranty.

"If I were a Jedi, there's a 100% chance I would use the force inappropriately!"

• You have to admit and I don't believe anyone would disagree too badly with me when I say that in my very humble opinion, I believe the Slingshot was neither designed nor built to handle the stress of being souped-up and driven the way some of you crazy cats do, but I say that with a smile on my face and don't mean any hard feelings. I'm not an engineer either... ;)

• That's a good theory, Edward, but I don't think the case metal is that soft. I think the brace simply helps prevent the case from exploding outward as a result of internal forces pushing out on it. I don't believe the brace squeezes the case enough to cause it to collapse inward on the bearing. If it did, I would be standing on Polaris' desk demanding to know why they used such inferior metal in the construction. Kyle D is correct. The brace isn't attached to anything that would prevent natural flexing in the drive train, but I'm sure Polaris would argue the point in defense of not paying for a repair that would normally be covered under warranty.

thank you for helping - like I said my question was only intended to better my understanding of such things - - one semester of high school metal shop 50 years ago and the only part I remember was making brass pipes for smoking - - - whatever - - - not really enough to help me understand such things all this time later