Stock Premium Intake vs Aftermarket

• Hey all,

I have a question regarding the stock premium intake vs the aftermarket injen or ddm. I currently have the stock intake with a K&N filter. Will swapping this out for one of the aftermarket yield any real performer gains or is this more to be asthetically pleasing?

thanks for any replies!

• IMO, Cold Air Intake systems generally do not bring a lot of HP and seem to primarily achieve a psychological impact through their (usually) noticeably louder air intake sound. Bob's NA ECU reflash reportedly will improve performance when used with an aftermarket CAI, but otherwise, I feel they just make more noise that usually sounds good!

• We did some testing on the NA Slingshot on our dyno. For intakes we testing the Polaris premium intake, the stock air box from my 2015, and our ZZP cold air intake which you can see here https://zzperformance.com/coll…slingshot-cold-air-intake While the differences were not much, the Polaris premium intake made the least amount of power out of the 3. We've tested some other intakes since then all of them seem to flow about the same. If you're interested in the write up, you can find there here https://zzperformance.com/coll…slingshot-cold-air-intake Hope that helps.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• Thanks for the quick responses. Very interesting that the SLR intake performs worse than the stock air box. I guess there is also ambient temp and air density at play as well. I live in the high desert in California 2700ft elevation and it’s hot as hell so sometimes things behave differently, turbos especially since the air is thinner. I just want to make sure my machine breathes well but sounds like I shouldn’t sweat it unless I move past bolt-ons based on your data

• Thanks for the quick responses. Very interesting that the SLR intake performs worse than the stock air box. I guess there is also ambient temp and air density at play as well. I live in the high desert in California 2700ft elevation and it’s hot as hell so sometimes things behave differently, turbos especially since the air is thinner. I just want to make sure my machine breathes well but sounds like I shouldn’t sweat it unless I move past bolt-ons based on your data

Hi derichio02 I was about to direct you to Kyle D but I see he beat me to the punch. Anyway nice to meet another So Cal desert rat - - I live over here in the low desert - Palm Springs to be exact - - anyway just wanted to say Hi

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• sounds like I shouldn’t sweat it unless I move past bolt-ons based on your data

Yeah the bolt ons, regardless of which company you shop with, are all going to gain you about the same amount of power. Depending on what your end goal is, one thing to consider, is that by the time you spend money on all the bolt ons and gained about 10whp, you've spent at least half of the cost of a turbo kit which will give you 100whp. The turbo kit we sell replaces the intake, the stock exhaust manifold or aftermarket header and replaces it with a cast stainless turbo manifold, and comes with its on exhaust that exits in the same location as stock or we also offer a rear exit exhaust which is by far the best on the market and costs a lot less than the other companies out there. Just some food for thought when considering what your overall goal for your slingshot is. You can also feel free to reach out directly with any questions to my email which is Kyle@zzperformance.com or my office number which is 616.421.4296. Hope this helps.

• Hi derichio02 I was about to direct you to Kyle D but I see he beat me to the punch. Anyway nice to meet another So Cal desert rat - - I live over here in the low desert - Palm Springs to be exact - - anyway just wanted to say Hi

Thanks nice to meet you sir! I was just in Palm Springs staying at the Del Marcos for my anniversary in late Feb. I’m up in the Palmdale/Lancaster area and just did a round trip to Castaic over the Memorial Day weekend. Next ride is to Lake Isabella and Kernville

• Yeah the bolt ons, regardless of which company you shop with, are all going to gain you about the same amount of power. Depending on what your end goal is, one thing to consider, is that by the time you spend money on all the bolt ons and gained about 10whp, you've spent at least half of the cost of a turbo kit which will give you 100whp. The turbo kit we sell replaces the intake, the stock exhaust manifold or aftermarket header and replaces it with a cast stainless turbo manifold, and comes with its on exhaust that exits in the same location as stock or we also offer a rear exit exhaust which is by far the best on the market and costs a lot less than the other companies out there. Just some food for thought when considering what your overall goal for your slingshot is. You can also feel free to reach out directly with any questions to my email which is Kyle@zzperformance.com or my office number which is 616.421.4296. Hope this helps.

I just took a look at the site. Sound like I need to start saving my pennies!

• Thanks nice to meet you sir! I was just in Palm Springs staying at the Del Marcos for my anniversary in late Feb. I’m up in the Palmdale/Lancaster area and just did a round trip to Castaic over the Memorial Day weekend. Next ride is to Lake Isabella and Kernville

Hey been up in your area many many times - - been a Southern California boy for all my life. grew up in Arcadia if you know where that is

• Yeah the bolt ons, regardless of which company you shop with, are all going to gain you about the same amount of power. Depending on what your end goal is, one thing to consider, is that by the time you spend money on all the bolt ons and gained about 10whp, you've spent at least half of the cost of a turbo kit which will give you 100whp. The turbo kit we sell replaces the intake, the stock exhaust manifold or aftermarket header and replaces it with a cast stainless turbo manifold, and comes with its on exhaust that exits in the same location as stock or we also offer a rear exit exhaust which is by far the best on the market and costs a lot less than the other companies out there. Just some food for thought when considering what your overall goal for your slingshot is. You can also feel free to reach out directly with any questions to my email which is Kyle@zzperformance.com or my office number which is 616.421.4296. Hope this helps.

All I know is, I have the stock intake and a K&N Filter on my '19 SLR and when my wife and I crest the Mule Mountain Pass in Bisbee at 5,000 feet, I have to make sure there's plenty of room on the road for cars to pass us because the Sling is suckin' air and crawling... lol

"If I were a Jedi, there's a 100% chance I would use the force inappropriately!"

• Back in 2001 I used to run a clothing store in the Arcadia shopping center. I liked that area.

which shopping center is that (street / cross street) - - I moved down here to the desert in 1987 - - a great deal has changed - - - =O

• All I know is, I have the stock intake and a K&N Filter on my '19 SLR and when my wife and I crest the Mule Mountain Pass in Bisbee at 5,000 feet, I have to make sure there's plenty of room on the road for cars to pass us because the Sling is suckin' air and crawling... lol

I had a similar experience last year in Maggie Valley. I'm tuned at sea level and when we got to 5000' of elevation it started feeling like it was a little down on power. By the time I got to 6500' it was so down on power I thought I had kicked off a rocker or 2 beating on it. But as soon as we got back down into town it ran fine.

• I had a similar experience last year in Maggie Valley. I'm tuned at sea level and when we got to 5000' of elevation it started feeling like it was a little down on power. By the time I got to 6500' it was so down on power I thought I had kicked off a rocker or 2 beating on it. But as soon as we got back down into town it ran fine.

Yep! That's right. I'm looking forward to driving mine to San Diego one day and see how it runs at sea level. I'm anticipating a very noticeable difference.

"If I were a Jedi, there's a 100% chance I would use the force inappropriately!"