Need help with Alpha adjustable exhaust install

• Hi all. Hoping someone that has one of these mufflers might be able to help. I bought a used one, but the cig lighter plug has been cut off. I plan to power it to my Fuze block, but does anyone know which wire on the 4 wire plug to the control box is the hot wire? Hoping maybe someone hard wired theirs and knows which. I always guess wrong...

• CHIEFP

I think your know which 2 wire go to the actuator, maybe?

1 of the lighter plug wires is negative, which might always be connected to the actuator negative wire. You may be able to use an ohm meter (at 0 ohms) to test which of the 2 lighter plug wires is negative.

The positive wire is likely on a switch (or infinite ohms). If both wire conduct to the actuator wires, let me know and I may be able to think of something else.

Some photos may help also. :)

DDM Stage 3 Turbo / Intercooler / Fuel Rail / Track Clutch

Magnaflow Short Exhaust / GM 2 Bar MAP Sensor / 60# Fuel Injectors / AEM Air/fuel Gauge / Glow Shift Boost Gauge

Stock: Radiator, Coolant Resevoir, ECU with Tune, Intake Manifold, Suspension, Brakes

Stock: 305/45R18 Nitto NT555R not enough traction

• Hi all. Hoping someone that has one of these mufflers might be able to help. I bought a used one, but the cig lighter plug has been cut off. I plan to power it to my Fuze block, but does anyone know which wire on the 4 wire plug to the control box is the hot wire? Hoping maybe someone hard wired theirs and knows which. I always guess wrong...

Hey men i am sorry to rain on your parade but those exhaust had/have? so many issues that allegedly made Alpha go out of business, they were poorly made and rattle(internally) like you wouldn't believe and based on every disgruntled owner here in the forums I would say it isn't worth the hassle of installing it.

Hopefully you got it for a good deal( or for free really) whoever sold that exhaust to you is definitely not a friend unless they did a full disclosure of the nightmare that you were getting yourself into, the slingshot rattles a lot as it is due to it being an open cockpit no need to add more.

Search for "Alpha variable exhaust" here and a plethora of post with the experience of those who paid full retail and had nothing but issues should pop up.

Good luck.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• As an exowner of the Alpha Variable the original plastic encased motor housing exhausts did have issues. Alpha or I should say Varex fixed the issue with a metal encased motor housing. I ran the variable exhaust for the better part of three years on a supercharged Slingshot without any issues and it is now on another Slingshot.

Also, let's be real. That exhaust did not put Alpha out of business. It was the rest of the crap he tried to pull on costumer's that got him in the end. He was borrowing money from fellow Slingshot owners to keep him afloat and then abandoned them when he got his restaurant.

When life knocks you down, calmly get back up, smile, and very politely say, "Is that all you've got?

• here's the 4 terminal box. The right 2 terminals go to the actuator and left 2 are the cut lighter plug. No markings on anything.

• Yep, read several threads, several positive, but enough that I wouldn't have risked $700 on one. But for $50, I don't think it qualifies as a "nightmare." It looks like an easy install (minus the wiring Q). If it works, great. if it doesn't or if as others said, I don't like the sound, that's OK too. Just put the stocker back on.

These things sure do squeak, rattle and roll...but I have a $3,600 sound system. Come to think of it, I don't hear the exhaust anyway :thumbsup:

• Yep, read several threads, several positive, but enough that I wouldn't have risked $700 on one. But for $50, I don't think it qualifies as a "nightmare." It looks like an easy install (minus the wiring Q). If it works, great. if it doesn't or if as others said, I don't like the sound, that's OK too. Just put the stocker back on.

These things sure do squeak, rattle and roll...but I have a $3,600 sound system. Come to think of it, I don't hear the exhaust anyway :thumbsup:

Volume control on stereo handles most exhaust problems....

• Still running the Alpha Variable exhaust with no issues yet. Before you install it look through the bottom and make sure the welds on the butterfly are still intact. That's the common source for the rattle. Mine still has the plug end on it.

• This is a couple pics of an Alpha muffler

Don’t know if you want to try it now, but I got no satisfaction from Alpha, he closed shop before I could contact.

JUST SAYIN

Keep Three Wheels Down