Help! Problems installing the ZZP Billet Hood Hinge set with Hahn turbo and MadStad Ultiate Bumper

• Turns out my problems were caused by my misinterpretation of trhe very first picture in the instructions. Following @Kyle D's correction allowed the hood hinge crossbar and mounts to fit w/o problem.

I’ve run into a problem trying to install the ZZP Billet Hood Hinges I bought during last year’s Black Friday sale. I have a Hahn turbo setup and a MadSatd Ultimate Bumper & Grill and the 2 items end up causing problems trying to install the Zzp Billet Hood Hinge set.

Looking at Pic #1, the clamps for the Hahn intercooler protrudes far enough that the ZZP hinge mounts do not place the stock Polaris hinge crossbar low enough and in front of the intercooler clamps. I had previously installed the MadStad (now Twist Dynamics) Hood hinge set which used the original stock mounts and placed the hod hinge crossbar in the correct position.

Looking at Pic #2, I placed the stock mount next to the ZZP mount and as can be seen, the ZZP hinge locates the stock hood hinge crossbar further back than the stock mounts, resulting in interference with the Hahn intercooler clamps.

Looking at Pic #3, the higher positioning of the ZZP mounts hood hinge crossbar means the front strut hits the rear strut.

With pressure, it looks like I can get the rear of the ZZP mount to line up with the frame mounting hole, or I think I could once I can get around the positioning issues caused by the MadStad Ultimate Bumper brackets (Pic #4).

As Pic #5 shows, the ZZP mount is basically at the rear of its slot because the MadStad Bumper bracket doesn’t allow the ZZP mount to be any further forward.

It looks like I need to remove some of the lower front edge of the ZZP mount and the forward edge of the rear bracket foot to clear the headlight mounting crossbar to clear the TD Bumper bracket and also need to extend the mounting slots in the ZZP mount so they go farther back and allow the stock hood hinge crossbar to clear the intercooler clamps (Areas that I think need removal/extending marked with Green lines). This would also place the latch bolt a little more forward of its current positioning (see Pic #6),

but there is enough room to move the stock latches forward to allow the latch bolt to engage the front hood latches.

Removing this extra material will not be an easy task as I don’t have any metal milling tools/capability and will probably need to just drill holes and then file everything smooth or use a saw to cut away material/extend the slots (not necessarily any easier since the mounts are so thick). Either way will be a PITA. I’d really like to use the ZZP Billet Hood Hinges since they don’t require a gas cartridge for proper operation.

Has anybody else run into this situation or have any suggestions on getting everything to fit w/o doing a lot of machining/filing?

My Daughter thinks I should try using the stock brackets first to see if I can get things to work w/o a lot of difficult work, but I'm not sure how the stock mounts might affect the hinge geometry and opening range.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• Looking at pics 3 and 5 you have the lower brackets on backwards. You need to switch sides. That set screw on there needs to be towards the front of the slingshot. That is how you adjust how vertical your hood goes. We did that because some people, including myself, have front splitters that the hood would otherwise hit so we incorporated a set screw so you can adjust it so it does not hit the splitter. I have put some pics below. Let me know if this solves the issues you are having. I'll also respond to the email you sent.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• Thanks for the clarification. That had occurred to me since having the set screw in the rear wouldn't allow it to have any adjustment on how far the hood opened,especially with the set screw in the rear it would only impact closing the hood. Here's the first pic in the install instructions from page 2 of the instructions I received via email on Dec 3, 2019 -

. Although the picture doesn't show the new strut fastened to that hole, it certainly looked to me like the strut was lined up with that hole, so I followed the pic. After examining the rest of the instructions again, I now see that the rest of the install pics show the mount and strut properly positioned. My mistake lay in misinterpreting that initial picture and then missing the difference in the rest of the install pics.:/

I'm now going to go switch everything around to match the rest of the install pics and will hopefully post success later.

I feel kind of silly having focused so much on the first pic that I didn't notice the rest of the pics. Once I ran into clearance problems, I assumed the problems were due to my combination of accessories and not my misinterpretation of that first pic.

Update - Success! The hood hinge crossbar simply slipped in place with no clearance issues! It's amazing how easy an install can be when properly following the instructions! Now all I need to do is wait for my Daughter to wake up so we can attach the hood and make final adjustments.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• Glad you got it all sorted out! Let me know if you need anything else.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• I thought I'd post a couple pics of my ZZP Hood Hinge set in operation. I forgot to retighten the setscrews that control how far the hood opens and they came loose and fell off during a ride.

Kyle D generously offered to replace them for free, but I figured my error, I'll just get something locally. I bought some 3/8x1" bolts and used lock-nuts to secure everything My hood now opens within a couple inches of my concrete garage floor. I'd recommend using a 1.5-2" bolt if a little more clearance is desired. -

The next pic show how easy it is to access stuff near the front of the Slingshot. At the left side of the pic, you can see where I added a couple hood springs to make the hood pop up above the rear latches when I pop all 4 latches (it has sometimes stuck for a while now, but the springs make everything work easily). I just need to check that the rear latches are secured before going on a ride!=O

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the ZZP Billet Hood Hinges. Work great w/o needing gas cartridge(s). I ordered mine during one of the major holiday sales, making them an especially great value!