exhaust fumes with baker deflectors

• There's a video floating round here somewhere that I posted of us riding beside larry on the 4 lane between Decatur and Huntsville. We were running 65mph or so and both the flags he had mounted at the back of his rear deck were flying toward the cockpit. Proof of the huge backdraft toward the cockpit of the Sling from the rear. There are as many solutions as there are different setups. Each one is different and requires a different approach.

I remember that picture. Early on riding behind Bubblehead his two flags were flying sideways, I think that was right after he installed the top.

• Interesting OEM set up and NO fums.....

Larry's ride had a top and I don't know whether or not Larry had/has any issues at all with fumes, I just know that at 65mph there was/is a serious flow of air from the back of the back deck toward the cockpit. We have battled fumes every time we've made a change and for now we are good.

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• We have the mean sling sport top, and also the bassani side exit exhaust with the 1320 v2 header. We have no issues with fumes what so ever, but my sniffer is not what it used to be...

• One of the reasons I have held off on installing a cat-delete pipe is a fear that it will cause unwanted fumes/smells - - heck even with no top and OEM double bubble windshields I still get exhaust smells every now and then - and I am not sure they are even from my slingshot with the other traffic that is around - - - - I much prefer it on my early morning drive into the office when I pass local restaurants and get hit with the smell of bacon cooking

from what I have seen the power gains to be had just dont seem worth the potential smells =O

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I’m not sure we’re all this exhaust stuff in this thread is coming from,,but I haven’t read all the thread but I can only suggest and give my situation on my set up, I’m not boosted other than the header and side exhaust...

But if I was boosted with turbo or supercharger I can’t give accurate information if it would be any different..

But just to say, if the boss lady would come off the funds I would have already been boosted..!!!!! Would love the fill of more power.....!!!

• We have the mean sling sport top, and also the bassani side exit exhaust with the 1320 v2 header. We have no issues with fumes what so ever, but my sniffer is not what it used to be...

Is that going forward or backwards?

I just had to ask????? !!!!

Keep Three Wheels Down

• One of the reasons I have held off on installing a cat-delete pipe is a fear that it will cause unwanted fumes/smells - - heck even with no top and OEM double bubble windshields I still get exhaust smells every now and then - and I am not sure they are even from my slingshot with the other traffic that is around - - - - I much prefer it on my early morning drive into the office when I pass local restaurants and get hit with the smell of bacon cooking

from what I have seen the power gains to be had just dont seem worth the potential smells =O

I seem to remember one of the shops posted a pretty detailed assessment of the stock and common performance upgrades and I remember that they said that the stock CAT was actually pretty good in terms of flow. I only remember because at that time I was getting ready to buy a header and a CAT delete and instead just did the header.

FB - North Alabama Polaris Slingshot Owners - (Huntsville)

• I seem to remember one of the shops posted a pretty detailed assessment of the stock and common performance upgrades and I remember that they said that the stock CAT was actually pretty good in terms of flow. I only remember because at that time I was getting ready to buy a header and a CAT delete and instead just did the header.

I believe you might be referencing this - The truth about NA power and what makes what

this is a quote from post 27 of that thread where the first thing they changed and tested was the cat delete pipe

"This should surprise the shit out of all of you. Putting in the catless DP we only picked up .2whp. and 1 ft-lb tq This tells us that the cat being used by Polaris is clearly not much of restriction."

thats "point two" from 163.5 to 163.7 - - and one ft-lb of torque - - - - in the end for me that really doesnt seem to be worth the $$ involved and more importantly the smells - I know there was another post here where a member re installed a high flow cat because removing it had made the smells in the cockpit to much for him to want to put up with

• Have you ever looked at the cat in the pipe? I just happen to have three of them sitting on the floor. I installed the cat delete pipe and the Alpha CAI early on and picked up seat of the pants power and jumped from 30 mpg to 34 mpg. Then I installed the Welter Dual and Bob's tune on the same day in Maggie Valley and for some reason I lost that 4 mpg gain. Just remember that all my mileage was figured on 1,500 to 2,500 miles while on trips.

• Have you ever looked at the cat in the pipe? I just happen to have three of them sitting on the floor. I installed the cat delete pipe and the Alpha CAI early on and picked up seat of the pants power and jumped from 30 mpg to 34 mpg. Then I installed the Welter Dual and Bob's tune on the same day in Maggie Valley and for some reason I lost that 4 mpg gain. Just remember that all my mileage was figured on 1,500 to 2,500 miles while on trips.

Yes, - thanks for the information

As a side note, I don't know why but, I have never really worried about MPG with the slingshot, Up 4 ,down 4 - - I would probably never notice

• Yes, - thanks for the information

As a side note, I don't know why but, I have never really worried about MPG with the slingshot, Up 4 ,down 4 - - I would probably never notice

To add another element to your comment that you may, or may not, have noticed is that we have found that our SlingShot appears to loose about 3 MPG when we install the top...........................

By the way, stock exhaust, Madstad single blade wind screen, no fumes!

Bill

• To add another element to your comment that you may, or may not, have noticed is that we have found that our SlingShot appears to loose about 3 MPG when we install the top...........................

Bill

I noticed that right away, had it installed in Maggie valley and comparing my trip there to the return trip home I lost 4 mpg. Well worth it to me.

• To add another element to your comment that you may, or may not, have noticed is that we have found that our SlingShot appears to loose about 3 MPG when we install the top...........................

Bill

hehehe - havn't had the top on enough to notice - since getting the Sport Top the only real decent ride its been installed for was the ride last year with my wife up to the slingshot event in Fallbrook - - other than that with a few minor exceptions its been hung in my garage

• hehehe - havn't had the top on enough to notice - since getting the Sport Top the only real decent ride its been installed for was the ride last year with my wife up to the slingshot event in Fallbrook - - other than that with a few minor exceptions its been hung in my garage

With the coming of spring/summer weather, unless we plan on doing an extended ride on the Interstate, that is where our top will be residing until next fall! :thumbsup:

Bill