exhaust fumes with baker deflectors

• I searched for this problem but could not find it. I have a 2015 with a 1320 header & muffler (no cat), stock windshield, and baker wings. Yesterday I installed Baker windshield deflectors (on the top of the windshield, after we both got bees in the face). I loved the quiet, less air, etc. BUT, we both immediately noticed a lot of exhaust in the cockpit, at any speed. Anyone else have this problem and hopefully a cure? I really don't want a rear exhaust, no matter how careful I am there are some driveway and parking lot curbs it's almost impossible not to scrape a little.

• I searched for this problem but could not find it. I have a 2015 with a 1320 header & muffler (no cat), stock windshield, and baker wings. Yesterday I installed Baker windshield deflectors (on the top of the windshield, after we both got bees in the face). I loved the quiet, less air, etc. BUT, we both immediately noticed a lot of exhaust in the cockpit, at any speed. Anyone else have this problem and hopefully a cure? I really don't want a rear exhaust, no matter how careful I am there are some driveway and parking lot curbs it's almost impossible not to scrape a little.

All of the rear exhaust systems do not go below the Slings frame

• It's the low pressure area generated from the windshield and the deflectors, sucking the fumes in. If you had a cat, it would be a lot less noticeable.

with the Welter duals, you'd possibly still have the same issue.

If you went with the Welter Sidekick, it's possible that you wouldn't have the problem, since it's at the rear, and low down. and as FC said, he goes above the frame, so nothing below to drag.

• All of the rear exhaust systems do not go below the Slings frame

The Welter 2.5" is tucked up above the frame rails all the way back. The Thermal research rear exit though does sit below the frame rails in the back -

Not sure if it is just the prototype, but the pictures of ZZP's rear exhaust also show it lower than the frame, Kyle D can answer that though for sure -

The 1320 rear exit exhaust also sits slightly below the frame -

Hope that helps,

Dave

• I appreciate the quick responses. I'm not sure I even have my cat any longer. I do know that the exhaust made a huge difference. We are in AZ, and my wife's feet melted in the summer before we got rid of the cat. And I'm a big guy (320 lbs with a paunch, but I was a 300 lb linebacker so I can't lose too much). Fully loaded with wife and gear I'm over the supposed cargo capacity. I'm not worried about that, but there was a huge difference with the header/exhaust. Off the line, and pulling hills in a higher gear than I could before (we live at a mile above sea level). I don't think I can give that up.....

• I appreciate the quick responses. I'm not sure I even have my cat any longer. I do know that the exhaust made a huge difference. We are in AZ, and my wife's feet melted in the summer before we got rid of the cat. And I'm a big guy (320 lbs with a paunch, but I was a 300 lb linebacker so I can't lose too much). Fully loaded with wife and gear I'm over the supposed cargo capacity. I'm not worried about that, but there was a huge difference with the header/exhaust. Off the line, and pulling hills in a higher gear than I could before (we live at a mile above sea level). I don't think I can give that up.....

Do you have the 1320 header and 1320 rear exit exhaust?

If so, you do not have a catalytic converter any longer for sure.

There have been some people that have had luck with the rear deck spoiler decreasing fumes in the cabin also, not sure if you have seen those. Also, Welter used to have some small flaps that they ran under the Slingshot that created some turbulence and help eliminate fumes also you could check into.

I am running a 2016 Slingshot --- OEM exhaust system. I have run a F4 tinted 5+ Windshield with Baker 'Air Wings' Side mount for 85,000+ miles. NO exhaust problems. I also and funneling fresh air into the cockpit on both side and well as with the Baker 'Air Wings. (No top).

The taller windshield will well with the 'bees' and such.

• Do you have the 1320 header and 1320 rear exit exhaust?

If so, you do not have a catalytic converter any longer for sure.

There have been some people that have had luck with the rear deck spoiler decreasing fumes in the cabin also, not sure if you have seen those. Also, Welter used to have some small flaps that they ran under the Slingshot that created some turbulence and help eliminate fumes also you could check into.

I have had those flapsthingymajigger for close to 2 years and after many miles they did not improve fumes to the degree that would prevent gf from complaining, I thought they did but GF says otherwise and since fumes never bothered me to begin with I will take her word.

Just my 2 cents based on my setup(stock blade windshield) with welter dual no cat.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• I have the welter duals with a TD top and madstadd windshield. I literally had to buy a catalytic converter because the fumes were almost unbearable (and i have fairly high tolerance. Cat decreased smell by about 90%. Sounds much better as well.

• If you want to run the taller windshields baker air wings ect you must be prepared to do battle with the ever elusive "exhaust fumes".

From the the time I made the first change to my sling it was a battle. I'd get it under control then decide to make an additional change and then the battle would start over. At the moment I have no issues with exhaust fumes but rest assured that if I change something it'll be on again. We run the "Nascar" style tall windshield, Polaris SlingShade top, 2.5in custom exhaust all the way out the back and turned 90* to drivers side, custom made rear windscreen. The cockpit is very comfortable with plenty ventilation so for now we are happy. Soon we will be changing the drive train and while doing so I would like to put a muffler on the exhaust exiting the rear and add a cut out straight pipe out the side behind the front passenger tire that opens up on boost. That way it runs quiet until the boost comes on and at that point fumes won't be a concern.

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• Increase your cabin pressure.

Windshield vents, purchased from an aircraft supply company online. Google is your friend for this.

And push some air in from the front

Go to Lowes get the vaccum cleaner hose kit, use one floor piece for the intake and the other for the out flow. I cut a slot under the cowl in behind the glove box for the outflow. I think I'll try a bigger intake scoop in the near future. My wife likes the cooler air on her feet and up her side of the cabin. You might even do one for your side, I did not feel the need, yet.

LC

• Just do not try to pick any air up from the fender holes or behind the fender. There is not enough air flow there to make it worth while. Been there and done that. Something that will work if you remove the fenders is the air vent sold on E-Bay and mounts thru a 3 inch hole into the foot well. If you look around you may find a picture of the air vent that I made that mounts on the mirror stalk and uses vaccum cleaner hose. This is the only set up that really dumps air into the foot well. Believe me, I have tried everything. I have three different things going on to get air into the cockpit now and believe me I do not have a low pressure area in the cockpit any more.

• There's a video floating round here somewhere that I posted of us riding beside larry on the 4 lane between Decatur and Huntsville. We were running 65mph or so and both the flags he had mounted at the back of his rear deck were flying toward the cockpit. Proof of the huge backdraft toward the cockpit of the Sling from the rear. There are as many solutions as there are different setups. Each one is different and requires a different approach.

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• There's a video floating round here somewhere that I posted of us riding beside larry on the 4 lane between Decatur and Huntsville. We were running 65mph or so and both the flags he had mounted at the back of his rear deck were flying toward the cockpit. Proof of the huge backdraft toward the cockpit of the Sling from the rear. There are as many solutions as there are different setups. Each one is different and requires a different approach.

Interesting OEM set up and NO fums.....