Assault Thread

• Do you have an Assault Fender on your Slingshot? Have you had issues with yours? I have had one (several) on my Slingshot since fall of 2015 with broken front braces and cracked spokes.

Following the lead of a good friend FunCycle and his design I think we have developed a front brace that will hold up. If interested let me know. I have two extra fenders that were broken that are going thru a rework and will have new braces for them. I am also having the old front braces repaired so they will be available. I have the proto type on my slingshot now and I think it will work great. Hard to take pictures with it all installed --- but will get some tomorrow. When I get the the other two fenders I will be able to take a picture that will make a little sense. Found some material and have some of the front rubber 'mud flaps'.

• May 2020 Rebuilding Assault Fender --- sandwich spokes with 2 x 1/8 Alum and bolted with stainless and lock nuts and new designed (by FunCycle) front brace... these pictures of proto type on my Slingshot, as two other fenders are repaired will have pictures that are better to see design.
    Spokes braced

Front brace from right side.

Front brace from left side attached to swing arm using predrilled top hole on right and drilling and tapping a 6mm spot on left two angle braces bolted and attached to fender with 1/4 in rubber 'mud flap' between brace and fender   

• It appears that you will not be able to keep the Welter rear dual exhaust with the brace. Is that correct?

I have the OEM exhaust system and don't plan on changing it. I don't think that the brace we made for the fender to the swing are would interfere with the Welter system. Haven't looked at that system close enough cause I didn't want one. I know 'Jeff' thinks I should want one.

• It appears that you will not be able to keep the Welter rear dual exhaust with the brace. Is that correct?

It will work with the Welter Dual exhaust, matter of fact this brace works with the Welter Dual exhaust better than the original bracket. I had also made a replacement for the original Assault bracket with an offset for the Welter pipe and a little more heavy duty. But it did not last any longer than the original bracket.

• I have a different rear fender with the same bracket mounting points....it also snapped off....the rear wheels has slightly over 5” of up and down travel....that puts a lot of stress on the bracket...especially if you are on rough road...a one sided bracket isn’t the best way to mount it because of that pounding....

my bracket was hollow tubing....the tubing broke right above the welds.....I made it solid round bar...

The bracket you have there looks really good......do you think it could be adapted to a different fender?

• Assault Fender ‘rework’ 2 x 1/8 aluminum sandwiched the ‘spokes’ 1/4 x 20 SS bolts with locking nuts 17 May 2020

Redesigned brace for the front of fender to swing arm, 3 pieces and rubber mud flap, and 6 – ¼ x 20 ss bolts and locking nuts, 2 M6 1in ss blots for connecting to swing arm. Top hole on swing arm is drilled and tapper (M6) end needs to be drilled and tapped.

The redesigned Front Brace is the brain child of FunCycle, built by Mike Strieter, Rolling Prairie, IN for Ej Ford, La Porte, IN

I have 2 completer Assault Fenders (reworked) --- need to be painted.

• Looks good EjFord