Question for older folks

• No disrespect meant towards the younger crowd, but this is basically geared towards older Gen X on up. What do you miss the most about the past. Not personal stuff like your first kiss, date or....... well you get the idea. I mean what thing or festivity do you miss. Things like penny candy, the original 5 cent nickelodeon, phones that went through a switchboard operator, or hand cranks to start your cars. Let you memory go wild and relive some of those things of the past before life got brought into the technology era

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• Drive in movies!

Riding in the rumble seat of Dad's Dodge station wagon.

Riding our bikes to the woods with a sack lunch and staying out until dinnertime.

Dinnertime at the same table with my folks and my brother and having spelling contests during dessert as an underhanded trick to get us to learn.

The milk man delivering milk to a box on our front porch.

Riding a unicycle.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• i’m not quite that old to remember the crank start, switchboard operator‘s, or penny candy. (50 this year) But I do miss being able to sit down for dinner with the family after taking the phone off the hook so no one can bother you.

• i’m not quite that old to remember the crank start, switchboard operator‘s, or penny candy. (50 this year) But I do miss being able to sit down for dinner with the family after taking the phone off the hook so no one can bother you.

I miss sitting down for dinner and not even thinking about the phone because telephone solicitation hadn't been invented yet... lol

"If I were a Jedi, there's a 100% chance I would use the force inappropriately!"

• you could be a kid without all the worries of today...we were safe all day long...no matter where we were or what we were doing....I’m totally amazed when I see how far we used to walk or ride our bicycles....be home when the street lights come on....we ran all day....if we got thirsty you would find someones garden hose grab a drink and keep going. stop home to grab a sandwich and run some more..

• I miss when you could take a man at his word.

I miss when you could pull up to any "service" station and fill up your vehicle without first having to see the cashier.

I miss when you could listen to the news and make up your own mind about the "facts" reported.

I miss when one parent could support his family on 40hrs a week.

Yeah I miss the simpler times.

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• I miss the Main Street cruises on Friday and Saturday night in my home town. There were some NICE cars in the 50's and 60's.

I miss seeing my classmates. Most of us were together at the same school from kindergarten thru graduation. I have become the unofficial email source for the bad news when we lose a classmate. Still love those "kids" that I grew up with. You could trust them with your life back then. Still can. Comforting feeling.

I miss weekends and after school at the Sweet Shop. A hangout for the JD's and "hoods", but you were always welcome and safe. Kind of like a Cheers for 14 to 20 year olds. Dark inside, with a jukebox controller at each booth, and a pinball machine in the corner.

I do agree with Flybuddy, though. A good feeling not to have to be on somebody else's schedule.

• We're fortunate to still have a drive-in theater about 30 minutes away.

Growing up, I loved visiting my Grandparent's farm in WV. On Saturday mornings, a grocer operated a store from the back of a truck. He'd buy our farm eggs and if you needed to order something like a bag of feed, he'd have it the next Saturday. My Dad loved his Red Band brand peppermint stick candy (the soft all-sugar type) at a great price and boy was that stuff good. Several years before my Dad passed away, I stopped in Bristol, VA and bought several boxes at the factory. When I gave a couple boxes to my Dad, he looked like a kid again as he ripped open the first box. Good memories!

In 1962 we lived in Morgantown, WV while I was in 4th grade and my Dad took a sabbatical to work on his Doctorate. There was a movie theater on Main St. that had a Saturday movie where admission was 10 cents plus a can of food for the food bank (not called that in 1962). Had my first crush on a redhead named Michele. We lived near the top of one of the highest hills in town just under 1 mile from the school, and we had 1 hr to go home for lunch and get back to school. There was a candy store across from the school that sold a soda and a hot dog for 10 cents, but I rarely had money for that if I wanted to see a movie that week.

Lots of fond memories I haven't thought about in a while. Thanks for the reminder.

• you could be a kid without all the worries of today...we were safe all day long...no matter where we were or what we were doing....I’m totally amazed when I see how far we used to walk or ride our bicycles....be home when the street lights come on....we ran all day....if we got thirsty you would find someones garden hose grab a drink and keep going. stop home to grab a sandwich and run some more..

Yep - I would have to agree with this one - - I find it very sad that my grandkids will never know what it was like

To be able as a kid to take off with my friends and go outside and into the neighborhood to play and ride our bikes and go as far as they could take us with the only instruction being "be sure your back before dark"

a world where we actually looked at a stranger and assumed they were a good person

seems like that world is so far away now, at least in this country, This last January when we were in the Philippines and we went out to the provinces where my wife grew up I got a chance to see a bit of that world again - kids out playing without a care in neighborhoods where they actually had the freedom and trust that we had as kids had - small communities where everyone knows everyone and kids still actually go outside to play

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Yep, Korea is still like that, too...

"If I were a Jedi, there's a 100% chance I would use the force inappropriately!"