Cell Phone Providers

• Thinking of going with Consumer Cellular for a provider. Had Verizon, Sprint, and a small one that got absorbed into SouthWest Bell.

Questions are....

1. Has anybody had experiences with Consumer? 2. Who do they lease airtime from, who's antennas are they using works toward coverage. 3. Any other insights.

Thanks

LC

• quick search came up with this

What network does Consumer Cellular use?

Consumer Cellular piggybacks on two GSM-based networks: AT&T and T-Mobile. That gives the carrier nationwide reach and fairly dependable service, as both AT&T and T-Mobile rated highly in our recent survey of network speed tests. Consumer Cellular offers full LTE speeds, so your data won't be slowed. Should you use more than 20GB of data in a given month — that's the upper limit of Consumer Cellular's data plans — you will see your speed throttled, though that's not an uncommon practice for carriers.

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• If considering going to 5G, T Mobile claims it's included in their pricing. Other carriers aren't as clear.

my wife and I switched from AT-T to T-mobile a year or so ago - -two things that made made a big difference is that their published pricing is actually the final price - no added on fees or taxes or any other bs - - the second is their plans for seniors - we have their T-Mobil One Unlimited 55+ plan its a flat $60 per month for 2 lines with unlimited everything included even free data when we were in the Philippines - - -and like I said its $60 every month no added BS and no contract - - - Seriously if you are over 55 look at T-Mobil - - Their senior plans are the best deal we have found

• We've had Sprint for 20+ years, mainly because of their Unlimited plans. A year or so ago, I switched to their Veteran/Military plan and now have 4 phones unlimited text, calls and data for under $160. The only thing I lost from the change was a streaming music plan and maybe Hulu, neither of which I ever used. I believe Sprint still covers my AAA Basic membership, but can't remember for sure.

• If considering going to 5G, T Mobile claims it's included in their pricing. Other carriers aren't as clear.

one thing I should have noted - the t-mobile unlimited 55 plan that we have is now called the "magenta" plan - its changed since we signed up - - $70 for 2 lines, but if you set it up on their auto pay its $60 - - and like I said, thats the final actual price

when we signed up it was the only senior plan - now it looks as if there are three levels one above "magenta plus" and one below "essentials" only real difference I can se between the :"magenta" and the "magenta plus" is faster data and texting when you are out of the country

• One thing to double check when changing companies is to make sure you see an actual coverage map to see if where you live and travel is covered. don't listen to the "98% of US covered" BS. they mean 98% of the population, not 98% geographically. ATT and T-Mobile go up as far as Bangor Maine, then stop. no coverage at all, not even shared with another company.

• Thanks for the good input. Wife's iphone camera died and I replaced the camera but it still does not work. I think the innards of the phone are dying because other things in it are acting funny. So while replacing her phone I thought I would see if we could do better on our service. Not sure if we will do it while in Oregon or wait til we get back home to Oklahoma.

LC

• Had Verizon for 20 years. Switched to Consumer Cellular 3 years ago. After a couple of months of only having service if we were in a city, we went back to Verizon.

Yes it's more expensive, but I know when I pick up my phone, no matter where I am, it will connect.

• One thing to double check when changing companies is to make sure you see an actual coverage map to see if where you live and travel is covered. don't listen to the "98% of US covered" BS. they mean 98% of the population, not 98% geographically. ATT and T-Mobile go up as far as Bangor Maine, then stop. no coverage at all, not even shared with another company.

couldn't agree more - best coverage in the world isn't worth a darn if the spots that are not good are where you actually will use it most

As a side note - another thing I like about T-mobil is that you can set the phone to use wifi as an actual cell spot - - when I walk into my house my cell automatically switches to my wifi as if it were just another cell tower - this is also an included feature - - AT&T can do this as well but with them it is an option (at least it was when we left them)

My house sits in a small dead spot so this feature is a life saver for us

Edited once, last by Edward Neal ().

• It has some limitations when it comes to phones but Google FI has the best coverage both in the US and out, it uses the towers of almost every carrier, so anywhere where t-mobile,us cellular or spring reach, you will have coverage since Google FI automatically switches to the strongest signal from networks at the location you are at the moment.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• I work for a Telco and Google Fi cannot be beat.

3 carriers with one provider.

Supported in 135 countries.

No contracts and great TEC support.

I have been with them for 4+ years now and would never switch.

https://fi.google.com/

.::. Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it .::.