Look at these pictures of a new OEM 2017 dash please

• Well, I agree with the above comment. Other than she's a sister to the family but I get where your going. :thumbsup:

From somebody that has been following along since before you got the slingshot, met you in Maggie Valley to see how far it had come along, until now all I can say is hang in there. There have been plenty of us, especially myself included, that have had bad mod days. But in the end those days are most definitely outweighed by the good ones. If you can make it through a bagillion little crystals this dinky little dash piece isn't going to keep you down. I know it!

• clearly those are two different dash’s .....most stamped plastic parts have a kinda clock looking thing that indicates the when and where the part was made. That might lead you somewhere as to the year and month...the line it was made on and such....my best guess is you’ve been sent the wrong part for your year.....

keep this in mind also....where ever it was shipped from could have several of those in stock with the same ID number.....if indeed they changed the design slightly from year to year but kept the number the same....they could have a lot of different years stacked in the same bin....so someone unfamiliar with the slight differences would just assume one part was the same as the next.....

So this brings up an important point regarding Buying replacement body parts. if you get it from a dealer....you can go pick it up and if you have the old piece you could do a side by side comparison .....How many times have you gone to get auto parts and what they want to give you never looks like the one you need? So now they have to drag out a bunch of things to compare your part to....

• [quote='Bigdog','https://slingshotinfo.com/index.php?thread/9121-look-at-these-pictures-of-a-new-oem-2017-dash-please/&postID=306391#post306391']

clearly those are two different dash’s .....most stamped plastic parts have a kinda clock looking thing that indicates the when and where the part was made. That might lead you somewhere as to the year and month...the line it was made on and such....my best guess is you’ve been sent the wrong part for your year.....

keep this in mind also....where ever it was shipped from could have several of those in stock with the same ID number.....if indeed they changed the design slightly from year to year but kept the number the same....they could have a lot of different years stacked in the same bin....so someone unfamiliar with the slight differences would just assume one part was the same as the next.....

So this brings up an important point regarding Buying replacement body parts. if you get it from a dealer....you can go pick it up and if you have the old piece you could do a side by side comparison .....How many times have you gone to get auto parts and what they want to give you never looks like the one you need? So now they have to drag out a bunch of things to compare your part to....

[/quote]

Try to follow the posts before jumping in and adding confusion to your point both pieces have a stamped part number in them and they match she said. The molds would have to have imprinted the wrong number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Try to follow the posts before jumping in and adding confusion to your point both pieces have a stamped part number in them and they match she said. The molds would have to have imprinted the wrong number.

Good luck WingShot . Politeness doesn't work. Logic doesn't work. Pleading doesn't work. Being a total asshole doesn't work. I know this firsthand. What does work is the block feature.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• I am giving it one last shot. I just ordered another one on Polaris' website. I was very careful to make sure to pick 2017 SLR... same part number tho. When it arrives, if it's the same problem I'm really giving up.

The current dash I was sent not only doesn't fit in the radio/switches are but it doesn't sit quite right elsewhere either. So either it's a dash from a previous model year or it is totally warped.

• Peggy.

May ask some dumb questions.....if so, just trying to help but hard to see from pictures. Please ignore.

In your side by side pictures, the new dash has a dressing (plastic panels creating a 2 layer dash) on the right and left sides. The old dash does not appear to have this dressing. Did you move those panels from the old to the new dash? If not, can those panels be removed with a couple of pins/screws? I ask because in your first pictures it appears that the dash may be catching on something up top, keeping it from dropping in like it should. If the two dressing pieces can be easily removed, I would do so and then see if the dash fits better.

I looked at the dash between model years. 2016s (early) used a different part number, then the part was rolled to 5453137 likely with 2016.5s. That should be the part number for both your two dashes, correct?

Finally, if you take your old dash and put in back in place, does it line up as it should? The first pictures to me really look like interference, you need to get the top/front of the dash to drop down some.

Just a couple of questions......the company you ordered from does sale Polaris stock parts, and if the numbers match, would be hesitant to order a new one. It is possible one got damaged if stacked etc, but.......

• No questions are ever dumb... I sure ask a lot here...

Both dashes are identical in every way. See picture.

The new dash has a plate installed under the center part that I took off from the old dash as this is what holds my windshield centerpiece on. The old dash obviously has the entire radio cavity trimmed out. That's why I need the new dash.

When laying on the floor, as from the previous pictures you can see the angle of the new dash is severely different from the old. That's where the problem is.

• Yeah, they definitely appear to be for different models. Every inch shows very subtle differences between the two moldings. I'd certainly return the new one and stick to ordering parts directly from Polaris. Hope it works out.

"If I were a Jedi, there's a 100% chance I would use the force inappropriately!"

• Those pictures help, does look like same part, as should be. Only guess was that it got stored under pressure, say stacked and the radio opening bent out. If the vendor will not take it back, I would use a heat gun to try and heat the top of the radio opening and see it I could pull it back towards correct angle, I would heat from the bottom of the dash, but right where the radio opening attached. If done slowly so you do not melt it, reasonable chance you could correct it. That said, if vendor would take it back that would be my first choice, Know you said you put a dash overlay on, so trying the heat approach may be best available approach. Good luck

• Those pictures help, does look like same part, as should be. Only guess was that it got stored under pressure, say stacked and the radio opening bent out. If the vendor will not take it back, I would use a heat gun to try and heat the top of the radio opening and see it I could pull it back towards correct angle, I would heat from the bottom of the dash, but right where the radio opening attached. If done slowly so you do not melt it, reasonable chance you could correct it. That said, if vendor would take it back that would be my first choice, Know you said you put a dash overlay on, so trying the heat approach may be best available approach. Good luck

I agree, but you shouldn't have to do anything like that to an OEM replacement part, and you shouldn't have to "mod a mod" to make it fit. If it ain't right, send it back, and if they don't make it right, never buy from them again and make sure you tell all your friends not to buy from them either.

"If I were a Jedi, there's a 100% chance I would use the force inappropriately!"

• I am giving it one last shot. I just ordered another one on Polaris' website. I was very careful to make sure to pick 2017 SLR... same part number tho. When it arrives, if it's the same problem I'm really giving up.

The current dash I was sent not only doesn't fit in the radio/switches are but it doesn't sit quite right elsewhere either. So either it's a dash from a previous model year or it is totally warped.

It could have been a production issue / wrong cycle time or removed from the mold to hot that could have deformed the part. Don't give up> frustrating mods is all part of owning a slingshot - trust me if we could swap stories you would feel a lot better!

Hang in there - and don't feed the big stray dog.

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• I got really mad at all this today and brainstormed. Decided to try something. Put the dash out in the sun most of the day (it's about 66 here today). It got more pliable.

I pushed and pulled and yanked and got it on and screwed in, but the radio area was still sticking out as before. But it was bending more easily. So I got all the weight I could find in the garage and put it on top of the dash. It pushed the radio/switches area almost in.

Then I pushed it in the rest of the way and pinned it. I'm going to leave it like this overnight and out in the sun all day tomorrow.

We will see what happens at the end of the day. If it's no better, perhaps I will try gently going back and forth with a heat gun on low and doing this again.

It's obvious at this point that it is the right dash - perhaps it was stored incorrectly. We will see what tomorrow afternoon holds.

It's just so discouraging that everything has to be so difficult.

• Peg just remember if it was easy everyone would be doing it. Yours is unique and one of a kind because YOU made it that way.

It's frustrating at times but very rewarding when you get it done. Be patient and you will overcome ;)

• maybe some people should make sure what they are talking about before shooting yourself in the foot....

might want to check the part numbers....there have been some changes.....but there is no way anyone could be confused......RIGHT?

• IIRC, the same radio was sold 2015-17 and in 2018 Polaris intro'd the new radio w/GPS/navigation and changed the button locations. The same dash should fit the 2015-2017 Slingshots. All I can think about the new dash studiopeg received is to agree that at some point, it must have had stuff piled on it to deform it. Here's hoping her current fitment manages to hold its shape. Her perseverance should be admired!

• Try to follow the posts before jumping in and adding confusion to your point both pieces have a stamped part number in them and they match she said. The molds would have to have imprinted the wrong number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

polaris or someone else changed the part numbers from one to a different one.....I’m confusing things? No TRUMP did It ...he’s responsible for everything wrong in the world...