Extended Performance Mobil One Synthetic

• Curious what my family here thinks of so called extended performance / extended range motor oils like The Mobil One Extended Performance - - - they advertise that you can go up to 15,000 miles between oil changes "guaranteed" - - - - last few oil changes I have been using this product and changing it every 5,000 just like I would with regular Mobil One and I fully intend to keep following the owners manual and changing every 5,000 (changing it this weekend)

I am just curious to know what you think of oils like this? Would you feel comfortable running them as advertised for a good amount longer that normal Mobil One? or do you think it all just marketing hype for what is probably exactly the same synthetic in a different bottle

Also if you did run it longer would you also wait to change the oil filter or would you still do this at the normal recommended times?

I must admit when I do change my oil it still looks pretty darn good - even when it has been 5000 miles it can be hard to read the dipstick in bad light - - not at all like the old days where the oil got black as tar

So anyway - what say thee"

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Edward Neal

Changed the title of the thread from “Extended Oerformance Mobil One Synthetic” to “Extended Performance Mobil One Synthetic”.
  • I change my oil and filter every 5 thousand miles myself......And i use Polaris oil and filter [synthetic]

I do use the Mobil 1 and filter in my wife Suzuki SUV And change the oil and filter once a year ...

Milage 7 to 8 thousand miles....

Some times a Cigar is just a Cigar.......

• Mobil 1 at one time advertised 25000 miles or 1 year. If forced, I wouldn't be afraid to try it . . . BUT oil is cheap compared to engines. Today's dino oil is good enough that most of it would probably go a year or 25000. Am I going to do it in MY stuff? Nope. 5 or 6 thousand with conventional oil, 10 to 12 thousand with synthetic is my personal limit.

If I had a bottomless bank account, I would really like to try 100,000 on a fill and a filter. Just as a test. Not going to happen. Anybody else?

• 2001 VW Jetta coming up on 400,000 miles, changing the oil every 10,000 miles, no issues. Mobil 1 5W-40 Turbo-Diesel Truck. Our 2019 Honda Ridgeline gets it's oil changed every 5,000 miles, but that is on the dealer's dime since it came with a lifetime oil change. The SlingShot is averaging about 5,000 miles per year, so it gets it's oil changed around New Years.

Bill

• Mobil 1 at one time advertised 25000 miles or 1 year. If forced, I wouldn't be afraid to try it . . . BUT oil is cheap compared to engines. Today's dino oil is good enough that most of it would probably go a year or 25000. Am I going to do it in MY stuff? Nope. 5 or 6 thousand with conventional oil, 10 to 12 thousand with synthetic is my personal limit.

If I had a bottomless bank account, I would really like to try 100,000 on a fill and a filter. Just as a test. Not going to happen. Anybody else?

Years ago my dad got lazy and didn't change his oil in a 1984 crown vic with the 302 v8. It lasted 27k miles before the pump siezed. Luckily, that's all that went out. Car had about 75k miles on it, was healthy otherwise. We changed the oil pump and they drove it for another 10 years.

IIRC, he was using standard 10w30 oil, quaker state. No synthetic, he was always too cheap for it.

• I use mobile 1 and change every 3500 miles. My brother is a retired mechanic, always said "regular oil change is the cheapest extended service insurance you can buy."

I also consider the way most of us drive our slings to be "extreme duty", high speeds, hard acceleration, most of the run time in warm/hot/dry/dusty weather. Virtually every manufacturer recommends more frequent oil change schedules for this.

Don't neglect your air filter either. I clean & relube my K&N filter each time I change the oil.

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• Edward Neal I run regular Mobil 1 in everything and when my Raptor hit 70,000 miles i started using Mobil 1 High Mileage version in it.

Do i think its better than other synthetic oiis??? Probably not....

The reason i run it is simply because i am not always able to change my oil at 5000 or 7500 miles. And i feel like Mobil 1 will help carry me to 10,000 or whatever i hit before i get it serviced. Its just like buying a little extra time just in case .....

One other thing.... oil threads on a forum are like political and biblical topics.....everyone has a different opinion..... So please people dont start posting why you like Amsoil and why you like Redline and you like Royal Purple and so on and on and on ............. Its all good stuff........ i will go as far as to bet if you used the cheapest oil at a dollar store and kept it changed every 4000 miles you wouldnt have a single issue with it.

• Some of us don't bother recording mileage between oil changes. I just change my oil every time I change the rear tire. That works out to every 3 to 4 thousand miles anyway. I just wish someone who come out with an extended mileage rear tire for the Slingshot

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• Anyone changing the oil before the recommended time in the service manual or owners manual is just throwing money down the drain but whatever makes you feel good...

Most oil change recommendations are mandated by the government (you know the guys who are smarter than all of us) Granted the newer synthetic oils are much better and last longer but for some of us old habits never die. With my driving habits and running a turbo I feel it is cheaper than another motor.

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• Some of us don't bother recording mileage between oil changes. I just change my oil every time I change the rear tire. That works out to every 3 to 4 thousand miles anyway. I just wish someone who come out with an extended mileage rear tire for the Slingshot

Now that is a statement I can relate to!

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

an extend mileage rear tire that actually had traction would be very nice

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies