Texas State Vehicle Inspection for "Autocycle" - No ODBII Failure?

• So, went to get my SS inspected today to re-register it for the new year. Just went to the local JiffyLube since I didn't want to sit and wait or drop off at the dealer. Even called them before to make sure they could do the SS.

When I got there, he went to plug in the ODBII for emissions testing. I didn't think we had an OBDII and knew that the plug under the steering wheel was different. So of course he says he has plug in somewhere. I opened the hood and showed him the ECM. I even questioned him because I know it is registered as a Motorcycle and I didn't think they needed emissions testing (verified they don't when I got home). Any ways, after hemming and hawing for a while, he figured out that since the SS is only a year old, it didn't need emissions testing anyways - in Texas that's only for vehicles 2+ yrs old. So got my "passed" inspection and he didn't even charge me the $7 because he never done a SS before.

I got home and started checking the TxDPS laws. Of course, there is nothing about "autocycles". And their website still claims that a "motorcycle" has a saddle seat.

So my question is: Does anyone know if the SS needs emissions testing to pass in Texas or not?

• No it does not, take it to any motorcycle dealer that does inspections. Car folk don't understand that this is technically a motorcycle, even those of us who have 4 wheels.

Mine has expired, I need to take it in and get it inspected, but plan to take it to a motorcycle shop here in town that sells slingshots ( not a polaris dealer)

• From what I have seen every definition of what an "autocycle" is starts out be saying it is a type of motorcycle - - - even the proposed federal definition which has been sitting in congress for some time says the same thing

We are fortunate here in California that there is no type of testing for motorcycles smog or otherwise - - - its one thing California got right

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• From what I have seen every definition of what an "autocycle" is starts out be saying it is a type of motorcycle - - - even the proposed federal definition which has been sitting in congress for some time says the same thing

We are fortunate here in California that there is no type of testing for motorcycles smog or otherwise - - - its one thing California got right

Oregon is the same, where an autocycle is described as a motorcycle in which a motorcycle endorsement is not required, but a helmet still is. Another note is an autocycle is described as a three-wheeled vehicle.

Gee, I have not done this for quite a while now:

I am assuming that this placard is still being put on between the seats? (with dealers becoming so scarce in this neck of the woods, and thus SlingShots themselves, I do not recall even seeing an '18, '19, or '20 yet?)

Bill

• Why do you still have it on your Slingshot?

• Went and had my SS inspected, used a local motorcycle dealer that also sells slingshots (not a polaris dealer) and had no issues. He checked mileage, tires, horn and lights, didn't even ask me to crank it up.

Of course he had a lot of questions about my mods.

Registration cost me $122, but $70 of that is my custom plate, so without that, it would have been $52. State inspection fee is $7.00, which I paid to the dealer.

One thing though, there dealership is a big hang out, so is the local Harley, both were packed, and these bikers are not understanding social distancing. The staff at the one I went to understand, and are keeping their distance, etc, but dang.

$1.83 for premium gas, am liking that a lot, filled it up while I was in town, been doing too many back roads where no gas stations are in my neck of the woods.