Garage Floor Coatings

• Does anybody have any experience with coating their garage floor? Getting ready to move and right now the garage is completely empty. Figured I would take this time to try and improve the floor before I started putting everything in there.

Looking at the rust oleum rocksolid or epoxyshield. I'm seeing mixed reviews on doing it period. I know good results will mainly depend on the prep work. I've seen some that looked like a car show room and some that looked like spilled paint spread all over the place. Just looking to see if anybody here has any experience good or bad trying to do it.

• We used the Rust-Oleum Epoxyshield on the shop side of our building about 6 years ago now, it has held up extremely well considering what we have put it through. I am actually going to use it at the house also in the next month or so.

2 things that I would definitely recommend though - the prep definitely makes a big difference on how well it sticks. We used a surface grinder thing (not sure the technical name anymore) that roughed up the surface a little bit, rented it through Home Depot also. We also did the Acid etch and cleaned the surface very well before applying the coating.

The other thing I wish we would have done is applied the clear gloss finish. It was not part of our kit, but a friend that applied the same kit with the gloss coat after looks amazing.

Hope that helps,

Dave

• With a garage, be careful because some of those coatings can be slippery when wet.

I built my shop in 1990, and painted the floor before I moved the machines in. 15 years later, I decided to look for a heavy duty epoxy coating, because some of the paint was starting to lift.

While searching, I found a snap together vinyl floor system. 2'X2' tiles assembled using a rubber mallet. Looks amazing, and I don't get the leg fatigue from standing on concrete. It's a little pricey, but for a garage it won't break the bank. It never gets slippery, and cleans up easy. It comes in a variety of colors as well.

Works well for your vehicles also, because it works as a vapor barrier at the same time.

I highly recommend it!!

Never trust a ConnMan!!
    (Man I love that line!)
    :00007555:

• I have worked in coated and uncoated shops. No! I will not paint or epoxy coat mine, one drop of water or oil, need I say more. I have thought about the snap together flooring, but too late in life to even do that. I can think of better things to do with my money now as EjFord says I would rather buy gas.

• I've never seen a snap together floor for the garage. I'm looking up some info on that now.

There are some nice stuff out there, you can even do designs. I think RaceDecks.com is one of them. I almost did the Race Deck back in the early 90's after seeing them at the Turkey Rod Run in Daytona. But it would have got to deep in my play money at the time.

• I have the Race Deck brand that is one of the snap together floors. It works as ConnMan describes. If there are a lot of cracks or uneven surfaces there is an epoxy that uses small stones. There is a company around here called Nature Stone. They apply small stones in epoxy with an optional clear gloss coat. Water will flow to the drain and can be hosed off to clean. The plastic tiles are a lot easier to keep clean. The stones will show any oil or other fluids that drip and will take more effort to clean. (unless you place a drip pan underneath)

Weak people revenge.:evil:

Strong people forgive.:saint:

Intelligent people ignore.:P

Albert Einstein

• Thank you FunCycle I'm on their site now. I was on a similar site when you first mentioned it. I saw the tile stuff when I was looking up the epoxy. At first glance it just seemed strange. Didn't seem like it would be right driving on or walking on. But it does seem to get really good reviews.

• Does anybody have any experience with coating their garage floor? Getting ready to move and right now the garage is completely empty. Figured I would take this time to try and improve the floor before I started putting everything in there.

Looking at the rust oleum rocksolid or epoxyshield. I'm seeing mixed reviews on doing it period. I know good results will mainly depend on the prep work. I've seen some that looked like a car show room and some that looked like spilled paint spread all over the place. Just looking to see if anybody here has any experience good or bad trying to do it.

My mom had this done to her garage and driveway - professionally done that is. Looked great, lasted for many years, protected from oil & other spills.

I would recommend adding a non-slip grit. Mom's was smooth and could be slippery when wet.

Don't know about the cost - that probably varies quite a bit by region.

Good luck! Post photos when you're done!

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• As a Residential Painting Contractor I do everything I can to talk people out of any paint coating on a garage floor. The failure rate is to great. Once it's painted it need to go at least 30 days with NOTHING sitting or driving on it. It would be dry enough to walk on but that's all you want for 30 days. Cost of products $$$,$$$.$$

• I guy in my motorcycle club used truck bed coating on his garage floor. It’s non-slip and tuff as nails. I know it stood up well for two years, then he moved and I don’t know if it is still on the floor or not. He bought it online in a blue color.

• As a Residential Painting Contractor I do everything I can to talk people out of any paint coating on a garage floor. The failure rate is to great. Once it's painted it need to go at least 30 days with NOTHING sitting or driving on it. It would be dry enough to walk on but that's all you want for 30 days. Cost of products $$$,$$$.$$

Yeah we were talking about you just the other day. Sure wish you lived/worked closer. It's been a nightmare trying to find someone to paint. The wife and mother in law have taken it on their self since we closed. I've had to work the last month straight with everything going on so all I've been able to do is supply the paint and wish them luck.

• It is a harder plastic and very durable. The colors I used are black and silver (not white) with a blue boarder. Make sure you use the ramp transitions at the overhead doors and leave 1/2 inch gap all the way around the edges. When exposed to direct sunlight it will expand a little bit. Easy to clean with a mop and not overly slippery when wet.

2016 Bluefire LE, the fastest color. :D:BLUESS:

• There are a number of different options you can use on the floor. As mentioned in previous posts anything you put on the floor insofar as paint or epoxy can be slippery when wet. Proper prep and the concrete moisture level play a major role in adhesion. There are ways to address your concerns. As an applicator myself I'd suggest you seek out a reputable contractor that does this. You'll find that it's not going to cost you an awful lot more money than it will to do it yourself.

Here is the company's product I use. https://www.elitecrete.com/

They have trained independent contractors all over the US. If you want you can buy the product from them as well but as I said it's better to hire someone to do it. It will be money well spent in the end. Check around though there are guys out there that price this stuff way above what is should cost.

• I've had racedeck on my garage floor for about 10 years. Easy to keep clean and way easier on the feet and knees than concrete.

Wow talk about the progression of things in a pic.....we start with a bicycle...graduate to a slingshot and end up in a wheel chair!!!=O

Ps floor looks great!!

SSREAPER

:BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS: