How does the Pedal Commander work?

• I just installed a Pedal Commander on my 2016 Slingshot and....WOW! The difference is amazing.

But how does it work? Does it merely change the rate of opening the throttle body and shorten the distance the pedal has to travel to get more gas into the system? Or does it also change valve timing through the electric selenoids? does it change engine timing as well? Any insight would be great. I'm so impressed with it.

Dave

• From what I can tell from mine, combined with what I've read, it removes the baked-in latency in the throttle response. I don't think the relationship between pedal position and how far open the butterfly in the throttle body is changes. Just how fast it gets to the commanded position. IOW, without the PC, it takes X amount of time for the throttle to open fully if you slam the peddle to the floor. With the PC, it takes X minus some value based on PC setting. I think that's all it really does. I could be wrong, though. Exact technical details of it's operation from the manufacture are hard to find.

• From what I can tell from mine, combined with what I've read, it removes the baked-in latency in the throttle response. I don't think the relationship between pedal position and how far open the butterfly in the throttle body is changes. Just how fast it gets to the commanded position. IOW, without the PC, it takes X amount of time for the throttle to open fully if you slam the peddle to the floor. With the PC, it takes X minus some value based on PC setting. I think that's all it really does. I could be wrong, though. Exact technical details of it's operation from the manufacture are hard to find.

That's essentially what this review says of the Pedal Commander.

https://saferoad.org/pedal-commander-review/.

• Yea basically adjusts the throttle latency, makes it more responsive, you can dial it up or down to make it less or more sensitive from lazy to super twitchy. It doesn't add any more horsepower just makes it more sensitive so it will fell peppier but it's won't be any faster, WOT is still WOT throttle and it doesn't change any engine parameters. if you run across a turbo and SC Slingshot, don't race him, you'll still lose LOL.

2023 Graphite Blue R Manual

2022 Tesla Mode 3 Performance

2020 Toyota Supra MK5 - way to many mods

2022 Harley Davidson Apex Road King

• Yea basically adjusts the throttle latency, makes it more responsive, you can dial it up or down to make it less or more sensitive from lazy to super twitchy. It doesn't add any more horsepower just makes it more sensitive so it will fell peppier but it's won't be any faster, WOT is still WOT throttle and it doesn't change any engine parameters. if you run across a turbo and SC Slingshot, don't race him, you'll still lose LOL.

you are correct that WOT is still WOT, but with the commander it will open to WOT faster. if you mash the pedal tho the floor the electronic signal does not open it instantly there is a programmed in lag with the commander you can change that "lag" by making it less of a lag or you can get rid of it completely - - it improves reaction time so even though WOT will be the same you should be able to get off the line faster.

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• you are correct that WOT is still WOT, but with the commander it will open to WOT faster. if you mash the pedal tho the floor the electronic signal does not open it instantly there is a programmed in lag with the commander you can change that "lag" by making it less of a lag or you can get rid of it completely - - it improves reaction time so even though WOT will be the same you should be able to get off the line faster.

You are so correct, but I still wish I had never bought it. Such a waste of money

• You are so correct, but I still wish I had never bought it. Such a waste of money

You are the first person I have heard say this - - Interesting

I love mine, consider it to be one of the best bang for the buck mods I have done, It along with the DDM short shifter just improve the fun factor for me - - neither one will make the Slingshot faster, but thats okay, I like them

• You are so correct, but I still wish I had never bought it. Such a waste of money

To be honest, I'm feel sort of the same way. I guess I just don't have the fine motor skills or reaction time or whatever to really take advantage of it. Most of the time I just leave it on City. Anything higher and I have to be seriously careful with the gas and clutch when pulling away from a stop. It's nice during hard acceleration, like pedal-to-the-floor passing, etc but that's about it for me. That money probably would have been better spent on some other mod(s).

• For me ...I installed it...set it on sport and haven't touched it. Just a matter of learning how to drive it

Yep - I seem to have settled on Sport -1. seems just about perfect for most of my driving. Every now and then just for fun I turn it off and I am instantly reminded how much of a difference it really makes - peddle lag just seems HUGE in comparison.

Its easy to forget how much of a difference it really makes when you get accustomed to driving with it every day

• I think mine is set on Sport one. I even used it on the track day last year, I did not care for it on the track either.

I guess its all a matter of personal taste - - no rules or requirements, just have fun :thumbsup:

• FunCycle I think is still trying to figure out how to operate the Pedal Commander ??? All the Slingshot Riders in my area and surrounding are more than happy with theirs just as I am, even one has a turbo on his Slingshot and added the Pedal Commander afterwards and will tell you in a minute that if had known about the Pedal Commander first, he would Not have installed the Turbo???

• FunCycle I think is still trying to figure out how to operate the Pedal Commander ??? All the Slingshot Riders in my area and surrounding are more than happy with theirs just as I am, even one has a turbo on his Slingshot and added the Pedal Commander afterwards and will tell you in a minute that if had known about the Pedal Commander first, he would Not have installed the Turbo???

FunCycle knows how to smash the pedal and go fast on a NA machine so if he says its a waste of money.... you can take that to the bank.

IF the pedal commander actually did anything you would see an improved 0-60 time.... which no one has posted yet.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

I do not think that I need to learn how to operate the Pedal Commander Ga Batcycle , I think that I probably have a lot more miles on it than most of you and have also run with it on track day last year. You had better know how to use it if you are riding on the crooked roads or you can and will get in trouble real fast if you are trying to run fast. THAT IS A SAFETY NOTE FOR THOSE WHO ARE THINKING OF RIDING FAST IN THE HILLS. Just be REAL careful. MiM just back up a few threads and you will find out what I think of the pedal GIZMO.

• I was thinking a poll on the use of the pedal commander was in order here. I was one of the few hold outs on the group purchase a few months ago. Just did not feel the need back then. Intresting to see some who bought it are not thinking of it as well as before the purchase

LC