Minor Accident Today, Autodrive is a little clumsy on quick start/stops

• So my wife was a driving the 2020 today and I was on my Triumph Bobber. We came to stop sign to make a right, my buddy up front took off but there wasn’t enough room for me to get her and I out, I stopped, she was looking left and thought I went, hit the gas realized I was still there and jammed the brakes. Now to be clear this was entirely her fault so I’m not blaming the SS, but it probably wouldn’t have happened the way it did or as hard as it did if the autodrive hadn’t bucked. She bumped into my rear tire and pushed me over and I fell down on top of the bike,

The challenge with the Autodrive is on quick gas/brake or even just slowing down the system bucks a little bit. It can’t move as fast with the clutch in/out as say a DCT would. So when she jumped on the brake the SS bucked, jumped forward and right into me. Yes she was too close to me had she been a few feet back and paying more attention she would have stopped in time, but she’s still learning the SS and it’s a little clumsy on the start stop type scenarios. The combo of the two put me on my ass.

Damage. Well me and my buddy were able to disassemble the front end somewhat, find all the brackets that were bent, remove them, bang them straight again and then with our trusty tape measure get everything back into spec. the only issue now is one of the tabs is broken on the passenger piece below the headlight (the black/blue part that connects to the lower spoiler) and the hood panel has a couple scratches and gouges. Some gonna try to order those new panels and just replace them and it should look as if nothing happened to it. It did push the passenger front corner up and back about 2” and bent a bunch of little brackets. We got that sorted pretty well though.

The Bobber thankfully I had crash bars on it or it would have really been screwed up. It needs both brake levers, a mirror and some paint touch up on the exhaust and crash bar (which we had to bend back into shape). Overall it coulda been much worse. I’m a little scraped up but nothing big and thank God for helmets. A big scratch mark in the back shows where i would have smashed my head on the ground. I know my head hit the ground but with my helmet on I never actually felt it at all.

One takeaway I would say for anyone with the automatic is give your self some room in front of you, this thing kinda bucks and jumps when coming to a stop, it’s not as smooth as a DCT or regular automatic or even as smooth as someone who’s experienced driving a stick. it’s a little clumsy and bucks around a bit so give yourself a few extra feet just to be safe...

A couple pics

• Sorry for your troubles but glad you are going to be fine. The bikes can be fixed or replaced! Thanks for the heads up about the auto's tendency to buck in situations like that.

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• Glad you're not hurt Phantomx ! One of the reasons I don't like to tow my own vehicles is the fear of wrecking two at once.

I'm wondering if this is something you should put 'on the record' with Polaris in case it becomes an ongoing issue with this brand new system.

As an aside, would you be willing to compare the roll hoops on your '20 with your '18 to determine if they are the same or have been changed with the new model year? I make luggage racks that attach to the hoops and am wondering if I'll need to modify the mounts to work on the '20s.

By the way, that's a pretty impressive list of vehicles! Keep the sunny side up.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Thanks guys, appreciate it. SlingLow the bars as far as I can tell are exactly the same. I put the Twist big wing on the new SS and it bolted right up no issues as did the Twist Roof. So two big pieces that use different parts of the roll hoop fit perfectly.

2023 Graphite Blue R Manual

2022 Tesla Mode 3 Performance

2020 Toyota Supra MK5 - way to many mods

2022 Harley Davidson Apex Road King

• OrangeSlingFL yes I pointed that out in my post several times. Had she been back further it would have been no issue. As stated though the auto drive is clumsy in slow speed scenarios and the machine does lurch about so give yourself a few feet

2023 Graphite Blue R Manual

2022 Tesla Mode 3 Performance

2020 Toyota Supra MK5 - way to many mods

2022 Harley Davidson Apex Road King

• Thanks guys, appreciate it. SlingLow the bars as far as I can tell are exactly the same. I put the Twist big wing on the new SS and it bolted right up no issues as did the Twist Roof. So two big pieces that use different parts of the roll hoop fit perfectly.

Phantomx I'm wondering if you'd do me a huge favor and post up a detailed pic of one of your 2020 roll hoops from the rear. I have a potential customer for my luggage racks with a 2020 and I'm trying to get 100% confidence that the hoops haven't changed from the earlier models. Anyone else with a 2020, feel free to jump in here.

Thanks guys!

• Phantomx I'm wondering if you'd do me a huge favor and post up a detailed pic of one of your 2020 roll hoops from the rear. I have a potential customer for my luggage racks with a 2020 and I'm trying to get 100% confidence that the hoops haven't changed from the earlier models. Anyone else with a 2020, feel free to jump in here.

Thanks guys!

Dave@DDMWorks can you help the brother out?

:BLUESS:
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
    ~Mark Twain~

• Awesome! Thanks Dave@DDMWorks , you continue to step up to help the common (and uncommon) man. Phantomx the pics show me that the size and shape of the lower slots that I use are the same as the 2017-19 hoops. To absolutely confirm this, just the diagonal measurement from the lowest point on the bottom to the highest point on the opposite side of the top would confirm that.

BTW my local dealer in Portland, OR has at least one 2020 in their showroom now. There isn't a large number of Slings around here so I'm wondering when I'll see the 1st one in the wild.

• What a great community :)

SlingLow you gotta love it !

If everyone operated like our forum members there would be no problems in this world. Except, you know, where to get another tank of fuel - without pictures of pretty animals that you're supposedly killing (reference to another of today's threads).