Welter Rear Dual Performance exhaust on the way

• getting a 2.5" pipe routed past the transmission is tough. I seem to recall that the R&D one goes under the frame, instead of through it. That bugs some people, others it doesn't.

Welter is tucked under, going along side the transmission and drive shaft. Great when you want to work on other things not related. PITA when you need to work on something that it's blocking.

• I think R&D goes through the bottom of the tunnel and the exhaust hangs below the rear panels. Remember the exhaust of the Welter also has to go under the rear panels to go up to the mufflers. I'm sure the Welter performs well I just don't like the pipes going up the back of the sling

• i got the 2”, apparently much easier to work with. It’s arriving tomorrow so we’ll probably give it a go this weekend. Gonna figure out how to lift the slingshot high enough (safely) to be able to work under it. The rest looks pretty straightforward on the install video they have on youtube. Im pretty excited, been wanting this exhaust ever since I got the bike 1 year ago.

• i got the 2”, apparently much easier to work with. It’s arriving tomorrow so we’ll probably give it a go this weekend. Gonna figure out how to lift the slingshot high enough (safely) to be able to work under it. The rest looks pretty straightforward on the install video they have on youtube. Im pretty excited, been wanting this exhaust ever since I got the bike 1 year ago.

6 ton jack stands are high enough if you have nothing else. OH! You have to have the big floor jack

Get a quick Jack they work great on slingshot

• Lol no worries! The only thing you can’t trust this forum for is saving you money! Quick question, i’ve noticed that some Exhausts have the side WP decals in red/white on the tips while others (like yours) do not. Do they come with the decals included in the package as optional ? Would really like to add the decals on the tips. See this pic

They are/were just stickers. I opted to not put them on.

Joey | 2016.5 Base Black :BLACKSS:
    "Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor" | "Si Ego Certiorem Faciam... Mihi Tu Delendus Eris"

"Dating a skinny chick is fun until you hit 110mph in the Slingshot and she flies out like a napkin... thumbsup.png" - 2W2X1

• getting a 2.5" pipe routed past the transmission is tough. I seem to recall that the R&D one goes under the frame, instead of through it. That bugs some people, others it doesn't.

Welter is tucked under, going along side the transmission and drive shaft. Great when you want to work on other things not related. PITA when you need to work on something that it's blocking.

Not on the rear dual version they offer. It is above frame. One bend near the engine if not properly in place can stick below the frame.

"Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor" | "Si Ego Certiorem Faciam... Mihi Tu Delendus Eris"

"Dating a skinny chick is fun until you hit 110mph in the Slingshot and she flies out like a napkin... thumbsup.png" - 2W2X1

• I think we were saying the same thing, I just worded it wrong. You and I both know how they are run :)

I wasn't as clear either. The Thermal R&D dual rear (upper mounted) exhaust is close to completely above frame. The lower mounted version is not and can not be made above frame as they have the exhaust exiting below the frame at the rear.

• Of all the exhaust installs I have done... WP can't be beat. Best MFG out there and they flat out install with ease. I never have to modify it.

I will place one caveat: The original version of the dual rear WP exhaust has some QA variances and some require a pipe trim to ensure the rear Y pipe is within specs with regards to how close it is to the rear plastic. Some of the early adopters had tire rubbing issues even with stock wheels and suspension. But I have documented that fix well for all. It is a DIY that shouldn't take more than 30 mins if you have all the right tools. A pipe cutter being the main tool for the fix.

The 2" is much easier to work with if you have a sling year that didn't require a trans mount swap. That is a royal PITA... Easier if you have a smaller cutoff wheel. You can do it with a typical 4" cutoff tool, but a pneumatic driven 2" is best.

• Just my opinion, I've only messed with the Welter on the slings, but it could be improved by using v-band connectors instead of the clamps that are used. Would make the install easier. Of course, it would cost a bit more, and I think we can all agree they are a bit expensive as is.

However, Mandrel pipe benders aren't cheap.

• Just my opinion, I've only messed with the Welter on the slings, but it could be improved by using v-band connectors instead of the clamps that are used. Would make the install easier.

I agree 1000%.

however... there may be some trade offs. Using V-band claps you best ensure your QA is on point. Won’t provide any adjustability. And we all know no two slings are the same. Trying to compensate for Polaris’ lack of QA may be the reason Jeff Welter decided against them.

• The 2" is much easier to work with if you have a sling year that didn't require a trans mount swap. That is a royal PITA... Easier if you have a smaller cutoff wheel. You can do it with a typical 4" cutoff tool, but a pneumatic driven 2" is best.

The welded on hanger in that last pipe section dictates the distance from the panel. I ran with the Assault fender for a long time other than the brace breaking after repairing bracket 3 times I have not got around to building the new bracket. We already have one installed. So the fender is just laying in the play room

• The 2" is much easier to work with if you have a sling year that didn't require a trans mount swap. That is a royal PITA... Easier if you have a smaller cutoff wheel. You can do it with a typical 4" cutoff tool, but a pneumatic driven 2" is best.

mines a 17 SLR. Exhaust only has one year so its the newer ones (i assume). Here is a pic