Aftermarket stereo and backup camera trigger

• Hello,

I'm virtually done with an aftermarket stereo install. The camera button on the Kenwood stereo works fine. I spliced into the white wire on the polaris reverse switch and ran that to the stereo. The camera only comes on when going into neutral from reverse. Do I need to use the black wire on the trigger? I could also put both splices into the single switch wire on the stereo. I know slingmods sells a kit for this but I already bought an ssv amp kit that already had a harness for the radio (minus backup camera).

I appreciate any help. This is the last step before I can put everything back together. If it is too complicated I'm ok just using the camera button on the stereo.

I have attached a pic of the harness. I spliced into the white wire. The other wire is black.

• I watched the slingmods install video for their harness. I assume I need to take wires from the reverse switch going to the tranny and pass them through a relay to turn the negative signal into a positive signal. I'm still open to advice and if someone knows how to wire to the relay it would be greatly appreciated. In the video they tapped the red ignition wire for the +12v. I'll keep researching and report back on my findings to help the nest person out.

• chavey2 ? Can you help here? I know you've messed around with your cameras...

Yeah, I ended up just replacing the stock camera with an aftermarket one when I went to the Pioneer stereo. <$15 off Amazon. Hardest part was running the RCA cable up to the front.

But I think his question was slightly different. I think samowens44 has better information about making the stock camera work with others.

Here's the Camera I bought off Amazon. It fits right into the stock mount - no drilling required.

BTW, you probably will also need a parking brake bypass, also off Amazon (I spend a lot of money with Amazon!).

• I figured it out. I read through other threads that the reverse switch outputs a negative 12v signal. That needs to be positive 12v in order for the stereo to interpret it correctly. To accomplish that buy a relay switch from your autoparts store. Splice into the white wire transmission reverse switch. Then splice into the acc wire (12v when the ignition is on). That one splice needs to be split again via another splice or pig tail [you could make a jumper wire as well on the relay]. The white wire will go into 86 or 85 and one of the 12v splices will go into the opposite side. The other 12v will go into 87. Finally the 30 is the output wire that goes to the purple reverse camera wire on the back of the stereo. You're essentially creating a switch via a relay that changes -12v to +12v. Look for how to reverse polarity using a relay for more detailed information.

• Thanks rabtech I just finished everything but the camera reverse wire today on a kenwood dmx7706s . Camera works when hitting the cam button manually but I was just about to go give in and order the slingmods harness after I already hooked everything else up the hard way , AND THAT WOULD REALLY PISS ME OFF LOL then I saw this , I'll whip over and grab a relay tomorrow . the white reverse switch wire I found is #4 on the #1 ecu harness , but it didn't work when I tied it to the purple. now I know why, 12 v negative , WTH !! Now I know what to do.

• kev you must have seen the panda avatar and thought it was me. It was Cman that posted your info. I havent had a chance to go back to my original avatar yet... i made the panda avatar for people that join and.want an avatar but dont have time or the knowhow to make one. I am going to make a girl panda and a few more avatars for people to pick.

I am.not sure yet what im going to pick. Yall keep watching for mine to change. I will do it today...

• Hi Dave . the right side of the transmission has the reverse switch mounted there, you want the white wire, its your 12 volt reverse switch trigger but it's the negative one . so follow posts above, or if you don't want to go underneath , its pin #4 in the first of the three plugs on your Mefi Ecm , you can tap into the white on that harness (the shorter plug closest to firewall )

Hate to admit it but the easiest way to hook up an aftermarket head unit is to buy this adapter harness from slingmods , that relay looking harness on the left ties into your reverse switch on he side of the tranny