stock speakers

• You need to let us know what year/model you have.

Presuming you have a 2015/16 with the 5.25" speakers, there are a set of Pioneers that replace pretty well for pretty cheap. Search here for "Pioneer" and my name and you'll find the thread.

If you have the 2017-2019 with the 6.5", there are plenty of good marine speakers in that range.

If you have no speaker pods, you'll probably want to go with the SSV Speaker pods that run a 6.5" (and an optional tweeter if you want).

I am running the SSV Pods with 6.5" marine Kickers off a Kenwood 300W marine amp and I think it sounds great. I also have a Kenwood head unit (non-marine), but there are bluetooth controllers and/or amps out there too.

• I am running the SSV Pods with 6.5" marine Kickers off a Kenwood 300W marine amp and I think it sounds great.

So Chav, are you giving up any leg room with those speaker pods over stock? Also, same with the amp. Are you giving up storage space for it?

I gotta do something, but I don't want to sacrifice to get a better sound.

Never trust a ConnMan!!
    (Man I love that line!)
    :00007555:

• Pods are just barely wider than the stock ones - you won't notice at all. Heck, the grills on whatever speaker stick out further than the pods to.

Most people put amps under the seats or in the storage area. I put mine under the drivers seat. Close to the battery and plenty of room. Even though I got a marine amp, I still put some spacers under it to make sure it doesn't sit in water.

• so chavey2 not wanting to hijack somebody else's question but I've meaning to get help on this as well. Trying to replace the factory speakers in my pod.

SoI bought these this week as all the dimensions looked correct. Problem was when I dropped it in the magnet hit the inside just enough to push it over where it didn't line up. So that was a bust.

So after some digging like you said I found that you used Pioneer TS-G1345R. These just dropped right in no modification necessary? Also I'm seeing they're not marine grade? Did you ever have any issues with that?

I'm also wanting to do the smaller one next to it and saw you posted a lil info on looking for that one as well. Did you ever find anything that could just be dropped in the same as the 5.25? I'm trying to reuse the factory grill and rings so cutting out and modifying the hole really isn't really the direction I want to go.

• Thanks for the info guys. I've considered swapping out the stocks with something better, but I also know from experience that better speakers usually have larger magnets and don't always fit. I like Pioneer speakers and wonder if Jensen or JBL also make a 5.25 that would fit?

"If I were a Jedi, there's a 100% chance I would use the force inappropriately!"

• Yeah, the Pioneer 5.25" should just drop right in to the 2015-16 stock pods. I think the thread was about various people searching different speakers trying to find some that would fit the stock pods but the Pioneers were the only ones. Some people even made rings to push deeper speakers out enough to fit.

The 3" ones didn't fit right so I had to glue them in from the back side. If you pull out the pods, they can be separated into front and back halves and then you can put whatever you want in. I did not use an amp on this set up so it won't get loud enough to hear at full speed.

• Thanks for the info guys. I've considered swapping out the stocks with something better, but I also know from experience that better speakers usually have larger magnets and don't always fit. I like Pioneer speakers and wonder if Jensen or JBL also make a 5.25 that would fit?

I meant to say 6.5" I forgot the speakers in the '19 SLR are larger... 🙄

"If I were a Jedi, there's a 100% chance I would use the force inappropriately!"

• Thanks. I'll order those and give them a try. Did you ever have any issues with them not being marine speakers? My passenger side pops a little and I hope this resolves it. I'm not looking for crazy over the top sound system... yet... if I ever do decide to replace the stock head unit I'll just add the inside wing speakers or pods behind the headrest to have in addition to the factory pods. I just finished them and got them put back in last week so really don't won't the work to go to waste or I'd just upgrade to the bigger ssv and be done.

• Thanks. I'll order those and give them a try. Did you ever have any issues with them not being marine speakers? My passenger side pops a little and I hope this resolves it. I'm not looking for crazy over the top sound system... yet... if I ever do decide to replace the stock head unit I'll just add the inside wing speakers or pods behind the headrest to have in addition to the factory pods. I just finished them and got them put back in last week so really don't won't the work to go to waste or I'd just upgrade to the bigger ssv and be done.

Like the speaker pod treatment, liked the valve cover too. Wonder what else got flamed :/

• Hi all, I have a 2015 SL and my speakers started popping like everybody else’s. I got a bit frustrated so I decided to see about sneaking a Pair of 6 1/2 Speakers in without any type spacer, no problem just had to do a little cutting on the speaker pod to adjust the hole of the speaker a little higher in the pod and wider. I went with the pioneer TS 600 M (from Walmart). After getting One pod done and set in place for a test listen, I noticed there was no mids and highs coming out of it. There is a crossover network installed inside the pod that needs to be bypassed to let the speaker play full range. simple process, just remove the pod and separate the 2 halfs of the enclosure, unscrew the crossover and solder the red wire from the new speaker onto the input side for the coil of the crossover to bypass it (see pictures) or you could just use a T tap on the red input wire of the crossover, I prefer soldering more of a permanent, cleaner connection imo, I also used 3M double-sided tape to seal the speaker. I am overly happy with how much difference in sound quality there is, with that being said I went ahead and ordered the matching 4 inch speakers (I think I can modify the pod to make them fit) and tweeters to finish out the pods. The 6 1/2 is surface mounted, which I did notice bumping my leg during my initial test ride. after driving a bit more, it’s not so bothersome now. Hope this information helps. Thanks to everyone in this forum for all the great advice and ideas.

• Hi all, I have a 2015 SL and my speakers started popping like everybody else’s. I got a bit frustrated so I decided to see about sneaking a Pair of 6 1/2 Speakers in without any type spacer, no problem just had to do a little cutting on the speaker pod to adjust the hole of the speaker a little higher in the pod and wider. I went with the pioneer TS 600 M (from Walmart). After getting One pod done and set in place for a test listen, I noticed there was no mids and highs coming out of it. There is a crossover network installed inside the pod that needs to be bypassed to let the speaker play full range. simple process, just remove the pod and separate the 2 halfs of the enclosure, unscrew the crossover and solder the red wire from the new speaker onto the input side for the coil of the crossover to bypass it (see pictures) or you could just use a T tap on the red input wire of the crossover, I prefer soldering more of a permanent, cleaner connection imo, I also used 3M double-sided tape to seal the speaker. I am overly happy with how much difference in sound quality there is, with that being said I went ahead and ordered the matching 4 inch speakers (I think I can modify the pod to make them fit) and tweeters to finish out the pods. The 6 1/2 is surface mounted, which I did notice bumping my leg during my initial test ride. after driving a bit more, it’s not so bothersome now. Hope this information helps. Thanks to everyone in this forum for all the great advice and ideas.

Thanks for the crash course in speaker electronics. I wouldn't have had a clue about how to bypass the crossover.

• couldn't you just take the 2 wires coming in to the crossover and hook them straight to the new speakers

Sure, you could, but then you would be eliminating the other speaker (tweeter) all together. I believe he replaced the larger speaker with either a two or three way and also wanted to continue using the stock tweeter.

• Correct Roadhawg, I wanted to keep the other speakers intact, which required leaving the crossover installed so factory speakers got the proper frequencies, the new speakers needed to be run full range because they have their own built-in crossover. When I install the other sets of speakers I will bypass the crossover completely letting the built-in crossovers of each speaker do that job. Also I will be re-wiring the pods with 12 gauge speaker wire.

I found that with the new speakers I’ve been listening to music almost at full on the radio, next upgrade is an amp and possibly radio. Oh joy, The can of worms I have opened😁

Sent from my iPad using Polaris Slingshot Info