Fast charging can ruin batteries in as little as 25 cycles

• lots of heat warps the lead plates and could melt the plastic...

making things worse is they started to use thinner lead plates making them very delicate to heat.

I bought 3 new car batteries (3 different vehicles) last year and I’ll probably need another one this year. And that doesn’t count if the slingshot will need one.

• With Lithiums it's all in the programming....Tesla data, which is extensive, shows a 10% degradation after 160,000 miles. On the flip side, the Nissan Leaf had serious battery degradation problems for a while till they changed their programming. The Leaf never had a fast charge option, where the majority of the Teslas do. I doubt the few college engineers doing the study had anywhere near the level of expertise that Tesla engineers have in doing a charging algorithm which is critical.

• With Lithiums it's all in the programming....Tesla data, which is extensive, shows a 10% degradation after 160,000 miles. On the flip side, the Nissan Leaf had serious battery degradation problems for a while till they changed their programming. The Leaf never had a fast charge option, where the majority of the Teslas do. I doubt the few college engineers doing the study had anywhere near the level of expertise that Tesla engineers have in doing a charging algorithm which is critical.

the biggest drawback about electric cars is the battery issue and recharging speed.....I really doubt they are worried about your battery needing replaced every year...as long as it charges fast....

I’ll keep buying gas vehicles thank you...I know how long and where I can “charge” it up.

I don’t have to buy myself more electrical aggravation...

• Electric vehicle battery packs generally come with excellent warranties and are very reliable. At the point that Chevy had sold 100,000 Volts (shocking :)), there hadn't been one pack failure (8 years). There are very good onboard systems that completely regulate the charge cycle and battery temps, which have their own liquid cooling.

UCRiverside is a premier engineering school, on a par with MIT and Caltech in the engineering department.

I have no doubt that Tesla is as slick about batteries as Google is about hard drives. But as more non-Tesla fast charging companies enter the market, will all of them follow the Tesla protocol?

The research is interesting never the less.

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• Cell phones get fast charged 365 times a year. Some more often than that. My Motorola Droid is over 3 years old, so more than 1000 fast charges. Gets warm enough to heat coffee (well, almost). Still going strong.

I just put a new battery in my 2009 Yamaha Majesty. It has been on a Battery Tender Jr for 10 years. The old battery still started the 400cc motor, but I decided to replace it before all I got was CLICK when I'm 50 miles from home. You can't push start a CVT drive system.

• Actually, most cell phones are not high amperage charges. They just have smaller batteries, so they charge faster than something like a car with a ton of batteries.

I know my iphone has a fast charge option, if I connect it to a 65w power adapter. I normally only use a 5w adapter that it came with.

At least, that's how I understand it.

• Cell phones get fast charged 365 times a year. Some more often than that. My Motorola Droid is over 3 years old, so more than 1000 fast charges. Gets warm enough to heat coffee (well, almost). Still going strong.

I just put a new battery in my 2009 Yamaha Majesty. It has been on a Battery Tender Jr for 10 years. The old battery still started the 400cc motor, but I decided to replace it before all I got was CLICK when I'm 50 miles from home. You can't push start a CVT drive system.

Cell phones don't get anything like the voltage or power put through them that a EV does.

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.