Turbo Experiences

• [quote='Dzemboc77','https://slingshotinfo.com/index.php?thread/8918-turbo-experiences/&postID=306927#post306927']

Nothing in the mail today =(

Should have just sent it priority.... Wasted $150 to have it overnighted both ways.

[/quote]

I’d ask for a partial refund.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Got everything today, fired it up and had a coolant line leaking. Took it off and the flare was cracked. DDM overnighting me another one so hopefully I can fire it up tomorrow before the blizzard this weekend lol. Anyways installed my AEM failsafe tonight. Configuring the gauge what is the ideal AFR for boosted slingshot engines 12-15 ? Not looking for the perfect number just range from idle to load.

Thanks guys

Post some pics maybe a video when I get it all together. ..... maybe tomorrow.

• Got everything today, fired it up and had a coolant line leaking. Took it off and the flare was cracked. DDM overnighting me another one so hopefully I can fire it up tomorrow before the blizzard this weekend lol. Anyways installed my AEM failsafe tonight. Configuring the gauge what is the ideal AFR for boosted slingshot engines 12-15 ? Not looking for the perfect number just range from idle to load.

Thanks guys

If you don't a have an engine built for boost, I'd try to avoid going higher than 10 lbs boost or so. I have a Hahn Turbo kit set for Stage 2 which tops out around the 7-8 lbs boost range. I deliberately chose to go with less than max boost my system can generate. Here's a post from Dave@DDMWorks about boost levels - Forced induction Questions and Such for the Slingshot.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• [quote='BKL','https://slingshotinfo.com/index.php?thread/8918-turbo-experiences/&postID=307171#post307171']

Got everything today, fired it up and had a coolant line leaking. Took it off and the flare was cracked. DDM overnighting me another one so hopefully I can fire it up tomorrow before the blizzard this weekend lol. Anyways installed my AEM failsafe tonight. Configuring the gauge what is the ideal AFR for boosted slingshot engines 12-15 ? Not looking for the perfect number just range from idle to load.

Thanks guys

If you don't a have an engine built for boost, I'd try to avoid going higher than 10 lbs boost or so. I have a Hahn Turbo kit set for Stage 2 which tops out in the 7-8 lbs boost range. I deliberately chose to go with less than max boost my system can generate. Here's a post from Dave@DDMWorks about boost levels - Forced induction Questions and Such for the Slingshot.

[/quote]

He is asking about air/fuel ratio not boost pressure.
    They hunt 14.7 until boost so I think your numbers are close for the range

Thanks guys

On that failsafe gauge, we usually set 12.5:1 AFR and 5psi for the start monitoring pressure on that gauge.

• He is asking about air/fuel ratio not boost pressure.
    They hunt 14.7 until boost so I think your numbers are close for the range

Thanks for the correction as I had misread his post. Rereading it, I don't know how I misunderstood his post.:/

MyY Innovate SCG-1 typically reads 16-17 until boost starts and then drops down to the 12-15 range depending on boost and sometimes drops even lower under hard acceleration. The main thing I use the gauge for is to check I don't see lean numbers under boost.

• As I started this thread back on March 8th I was still doing some research and looking to hear from others experiences. If you have not read by now I did end up going with the DDMWorks stage 1 turbo kit.

There were a few things that lead me down that road over other vendors. One was the overall High community recommendations for them based on experience, not only the quality of builds but the level of customer service. Big shout out to Dave as he stepped up big in my mind at resolving any issues I had. 1 was a cracked fitting which possibly could have been done when we installed it. He sent not 1 but 2 replacements to me over night. The first 1 got lost and never showed up so he sent me another one Last night that came today. When starting the install Angie had told me he was traveling when I called with some other non related questions. Not only did he answer my txt I'm pretty sure he gave me a call at some point as well while at the airport. Overall all I would rate my technical skill set in the garage 6/10 and I had no issues installing this kit. Directions were clear as can be with pictures. So again THANKS DAVE!!!!!!!

For anyone else looking into a turbo the other reason I went with DDMWorks over other vendors came down to Exhaust options. My wife last year did nothing but complain about exhaust fumes. When I bought the bike used, it came with a Alpha exhaust with electronic baffle. So I ordered a Welter Rear exhaust for this kit. However after installing and firing up the one that came with the kit I ended up canceling that order. It sounds great with the DDMWorks exhaust and also during the install I noticed that Alpha exhaust sat flush with the underside of the slingshot. The DDMworks exit sits probably 2 inches lower.

All I have left to do is put the hood back on which I'll probably do tonight or tomorrow. Even though we got some Snow last night I still took it out briefly today and OMG what a difference. I can't imagine the people running Stage 2 kits with tuned motors. I can now in 4-5th gear give it the gas and she will actually go. Before as others have complained it really lacked some passing power in the higher gears at low RPMs. Hopefully tomorrow since its going to be almost 60 I'll take it out for a longer ride.

If anyone has questions feel free to reach out. I attached some pictures of the finished install.

• Hat's off to Dzemboc77 for taking the time to post all of this and hats off to Dave@DDMWorks for taking such great care of him and all of us. I will be doing exactly the same thing with the exact same turbo in the fall. I can't wait. Dzemboc77 it has been a pleasure to follow this thread. Keep us updated.

2018 SLR LE
    Bullet Speed Top

Hawk 5.0 Pads

My girlfriend loves SS more than me but can't drive a manual laugh-squaredlaugh-squared Lucky me!!!

• Hat's off to Dzemboc77 for taking the time to post all of this and hats off to Dave@DDMWorks for taking such great care of him and all of us. I will be doing exactly the same thing with the exact same turbo in the fall. I can't wait. Dzemboc77 it has been a pleasure to follow this thread. Keep us updated.

123hotdog
    I had the DDM stage 1 turbo installed in early February this year and have been loving it ever since. It is a blast to drive with a lot more power and the sound of the turbo is sweet. Dave@DDMWorks installed mine and the fit and finish of the turbo kit is just amazing. I am returning to DDM this Monday to have Dave install the oil cooler. If you are looking for a turbo, you can’t go wrong with this setup and the service and support from Dave@DDMWorks is outstanding! Nice write up on your install Dzemboc77. 😎

• 123hotdog
    I had the DDM stage 1 turbo installed in early February this year and have been loving it ever since. It is a blast to drive with a lot more power and the sound of the turbo is sweet. Dave@DDMWorks installed mine and the fit and finish of the turbo kit is just amazing. I am returning to DDM this Monday to have Dave install the oil cooler. If you are looking for a turbo, you can’t go wrong with this setup and the service and support from Dave@DDMWorks is outstanding! Nice write up on your install Dzemboc77. 😎

When my business slows in the fall, I'm in for a Stage 1

2018 SLR LE
    Bullet Speed Top

Hawk 5.0 Pads

My girlfriend loves SS more than me but can't drive a manual laugh-squaredlaugh-squared Lucky me!!!

• Install looks great, really hope you get out and enjoy it! Thanks for hanging in there with the weird UPS delivery issue! If there is anything else we can answer or help you with, just let us know!

Dave

• Dzemboc77

AEM Failsafe Range

Is this just a AFR gauge?

Dave@DDMWorks and others, please correct me if I'm wrong.

AFR can go from 10-20+ while driving. Not sure how you can set a standalone failsafe, unless perhaps this is a AEM ECU (replacing stock ECU). Like BKL mentioned, generally you glance to see you are running 11-13 AFR while at boost, to keep things cooled off.

There may be the capability of a Haltech or other aftermarket ECU to provide warnings when AFR exceed tolerance limits referenced from the Fuel Map.

Note, my AFR far exceeds 20:1 (my wideband gauge only goes up to 20:1) after my Throttle Position Sensor TPS rapidly drops to 0% (from 100%).

DDM Stage 3 Turbo / Intercooler / Fuel Rail / Track Clutch

Magnaflow Short Exhaust / GM 2 Bar MAP Sensor / 60# Fuel Injectors / AEM Air/fuel Gauge / Glow Shift Boost Gauge

Stock: Radiator, Coolant Resevoir, ECU with Tune, Intake Manifold, Suspension, Brakes

Stock: 305/45R18 Nitto NT555R not enough traction

• I've actually seen AFRs as high as 22 when traveling at just under 70 mph and taking my foot completely off the gas and using engine-braking to slow down for an exit on the Interstate. Just a little pressure on the gas pedal will see the AFR drop down to around 13 or so.

Here's a good video that explains the capabilities of the AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost gauge -

I have the Innovate SCG-1 AFR/Boost gauge which is supposed to be able to detect and react to unsafe Boost/AFR situations, but I never tried to implement that after reading that people were not having success setting up that feature (this was back in 2017/18 and I didn't keep following it since my turbo setup seemed to be doing fine and the AFR/Boost numbers never seemed in conflict where they posed a danger to my engine.

There seem to be more folks successfully using the AEM Failsafe gauge.

• Pretty nice gauge!

That seems like it may be reliable, without showing false warnings. 🤔

It may be useless at low pressure/vacuum, considering my AFR goes far above nominal at those pressures, but might work great under boost!

Use the software to adjust the MAP vs AFR accordingly :)

DDM Stage 3 Turbo / Intercooler / Fuel Rail / Track Clutch

Magnaflow Short Exhaust / GM 2 Bar MAP Sensor / 60# Fuel Injectors / AEM Air/fuel Gauge / Glow Shift Boost Gauge

Stock: Radiator, Coolant Resevoir, ECU with Tune, Intake Manifold, Suspension, Brakes

Stock: 305/45R18 Nitto NT555R not enough traction