Turbo Experiences

• I guess for me the only last option I need to figure out is the exhaust. My wife refuses to ride with my now due to the fumes from the current exhaust. While I can smell them at lower speeds it doesn’t bother me as much but I do say after a long ride I can smell my jacket or clothes later and they really do reek hours later. I’m looking for either a front side or rear exiting system. I guess this is where the deciding factor might come into play for example Hanns kits are bit more expensive but with the $900 side exhaust option it’s cheaper then getting the zzp or ddm and 2.5 wp dual exhaust. The concern for me again is very little videos out there about how these setups sound with different exhaust . I don’t want this to sound like a Honda Civic with a fart can especially if I drop $2k on the exhaust. Any input guys , Vendors do you have any custom options not listed on your websites ? For example does the zzp kits even fit the wp exhaust. Anyone use the wp exhaust ??

We have a rear exit exhaust that will be ready in a couple weeks and as an option for our turbo kit. It's got a nice throaty sound to it. Definitely does not sound like a fart can. I can take a video later and post it. I'm not sure what the additional cost to the turbo kit will be. We have had 4 slingshots here that had welter exhausts on them and we made down pipes for all of them and adapted them to our turbo kit. So while it would not be a direct fit since we use V bands for connecting everything it is easily adaptable. Our rear exit uses a 3" down pipe which no other company does and necks down to 2.5" as it moves through the trans tunnel.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• Dzemboc77

I have been caught in traffic jam and had my SS in many parades, My wife is with me about 50 % of the time Other wise THEO (See Pic) is with me and neither of them have complained about fuel smell or exhaust smell, I have never had a heat issue from motor (even on a 104 degree day in a parade for over 2 hours) or in the cockpit.

'It's about the ride not the destination"

• I guess for me the only last option I need to figure out is the exhaust. My wife refuses to ride with my now due to the fumes from the current exhaust. While I can smell them at lower speeds it doesn’t bother me as much but I do say after a long ride I can smell my jacket or clothes later and they really do reek hours later. I’m looking for either a front side or rear exiting system. I guess this is where the deciding factor might come into play for example Hanns kits are bit more expensive but with the $900 side exhaust option it’s cheaper then getting the zzp or ddm and 2.5 wp dual exhaust. The concern for me again is very little videos out there about how these setups sound with different exhaust . I don’t want this to sound like a Honda Civic with a fart can especially if I drop $2k on the exhaust. Any input guys , Vendors do you have any custom options not listed on your websites ? For example does the zzp kits even fit the wp exhaust. Anyone use the wp exhaust ??

I believe that Kyle D at ZZP is developing a nifty rear exit exhaust system. We saw it leaked in the video he posted in the Haltech C7 electronic dash!

I'm in line for one! :*

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• I've had my Hahn Stage 2 turbo setup for 2 years and 20,000 miles now, but if I were adding a turbo now, I'd probably go with ZZP as the best combo of performance vs cost, especially if their upcoming rear exhaust is as competitively priced as their turbo kit.

Update - After reading the posts below from wokka and Kyle D, I went back and checked the webpages for both ZZP and DDM Works' turbo kits and realized that both kits are much closer in what they offer. Somehow, I had missed that the DDM Works kit included an exhaust, although I think I'd prefer having a blow-off valve even though I'm sure DDM Works long experience with turboing the Ecotec motor would mean they have a well-engineered setup. All-in-all, I think I'd still prefer the ZZP kit with their new rear exhaust based on the projected costs I've seen, since I have a top and a tall windshield and I think the rear exhaust would be better for reducing exhaust gases getting into the cockpit.

Overall, I feel Hahn, DDM Works and ZZP all offer good turbo kits based on experience with the Ecotec motor, but I'd weigh the exhaust noise, turbo features like water-cooled vs oil-cooled, and total cost in making my final decision if I were buying my first turbo now.

Edited 2 times, last by BKL ().

• If I were putting a turbo in today on a base setup, I'd still go with DDM, here's a comparison :

http://www.ddmworks.com/DDMWor…ris-Slingshot-_p_905.html

https://zzperformance.com/coll…laris-slingshot-turbo-kit

DDM gives the option of a replacement oil pan instead of trying to tap your existing one, it's $175 option, but worth it.

It also comes with a MefiBurn tune included, a $400 - 500 option if you went straight to Bob. Also included is a custom gasket for the oil pan, making it much easier to reinstall the oil pan, whether you choose to get one pre-drilled or not.

ZZP has a custom header and their exhaust with it, if you have an existing header, it will not work (correct me if I'm wrong here please Kyle) and the ZZP manifold replaces your custom header. For a custom tune, you have to upgrade to the Stage 2. So the base cost has no tune or custom gasket. Kyle noted in a reply that you don't need to drop the oil pan in his new setup, looking forward to seeing details about that. Also, a stage 1 tune is included with the kit.

These may seem like small items in the grand scheme of things, but trying to compare apples to apples. Both kits are listed at $2995 (ZZP is a penny cheaper).

Just my $0.02 worth

• For the oil pan, initially, I offered to do the drilling and tapping of the pan free of charge for anyone that was uncomfortable doing it themselves. However, our kit was recently redesigned and no longer requires dropping and tapping the oil pan. This now cuts a couple hours off the install time of the kit. This is now included in the kit at no extra charge and this revision will be shipping with all kits starting in 2-3 weeks once all of the parts are finished.

Tuning is included in our kit as well. It says that right on our product page so I'm not sure where you got that notion from. It was made here in house on our Mustang dyno. We do not send a kit without tune and/or make you pay extra for a tune for the turbo kit you just bought. Your phrasing makes it sound like we do not include a tune which is simply an untrue statement. If you go to our stage 2 kit we will reflash the PCM for you because the stage 2 kit comes with larger injectors. We do not use larger injectors in the base kit because they are not needed. People will argue this point back and forth all day long but I've proven our kit makes just as much power reliably like all the other kits that have been out but on the stock injectors. We aren't initially selling you parts you do not need. Initially, all of the flashing of our PCMs was done for us by CBM out in CA. I have been able to do the flashing here in house for about a year and depending on where someone is located, give them the option to send the PCM to CBM or to me to cut down on in transit time for them. I also offer a core charge option and will send a PCM out with the kit if the customer wants to do that as well.

On the exhaust side of things we use a turbo manifold vs using a header and an adapter plate. Either way works and different people design things differently. Again, the way you are phrasing it is a little misleading and makes it seem like if you have a header you cannot use our kit which is untrue. We are replacing your header (OEM or aftermarket) with a better part in my opinion. Our kit is a complete kit and has all of the parts needed to complete the install from start to finish.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• My apologies Kyle. I misunderstood this line "Stage 2 Upgrade which adds a PCM update" to mean that the PCM update came with the stage 2 upgrade only.

My point about the header wasn't meant to be misleading, just stating that your kit replaces any custom headers people may have. If they have upgraded to a 1320 header or another brand, your kit replaces that.

I'll edit my post accordingly. Thanks for the clarification

• So Phil just so everyone understands not only does Dave make great product backed by great support

He can get rid of crickets!

Just amazing how versatile that guy is!

Hello Mitch. I'm poking around in this thread for a reason. It's time. It will be 2020!!!!!!

2018 SLR LE
    Bullet Speed Top

Hawk 5.0 Pads

My girlfriend loves SS more than me but can't drive a manual laugh-squaredlaugh-squared Lucky me!!!

• My little woman is NOT getting an auto!!! She's getting distressed solid hickory kitchen cabinets and a copper sink. I'm getting the turbo. Cabinets won't be nowhere near as pretty or fun as the turbo. She can't get an auto. If she does I will have outlived my usefulness.

2018 SLR LE
    Bullet Speed Top

Hawk 5.0 Pads

My girlfriend loves SS more than me but can't drive a manual laugh-squaredlaugh-squared Lucky me!!!

• My little woman is NOT getting an auto!!! She's getting distressed solid hickory kitchen cabinets and a copper sink. I'm getting the turbo. Cabinets won't be nowhere near as pretty or fun as the turbo. She can't get an auto. If she does I will have outlived my usefulness.

She will still need someone to mow the lawn and take out the garbage!!!!!!!!!!

• After a bad accident a man wakes up in the hospital.
    Dr says good news and bad news.
    Bad news is your penis was severed off at the base and lost.
    Good news is we have a new process to implant a new one but it is very expensive.
    It cost $1000 an inch. Good news is your insurance paid you $10k cash.
    Dr said talk it over with your wife and see how many inches she prefers because not all women can handle 10 inches.
    Next day Dr comes in and asks the man what his wife said.
    The man replies:

She said we are getting new Granite Counter tops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• nope gotta wait for the ECU to come back. Probably wont be able to fire it up till Tuesday or Wednesday at the earliest.

A word of warning!!!

You need to be sure and do a couple things before trying it out.

#1 Brush your teeth!!

#2 Locate that full face helmet burried somewhere in your closet!

I know these two things may seem a little strange for testing your sling but it will all be clear soon enough! LOL

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868