What was today's Sling project-Mods , goodies....?

• Here is the procedure I used for the painting of the calipers. I used
    Dupli-color engine enamel with ceramic. 3-4 coats. No primer but it is available should you want to go there. I did not use it on my prior calipers on my last sling and it stayed on and looked great. Also a can of Duple-color clear in the high heat as well. Two finish coats. Both go to 500 degrees. Dries fast. One can of each.

Materials are some masking tape, plastic wrap or a trash bag, a large can of break cleaner. Depending on the condition of your calipers and how clean they are to start you may wish to have a small toothbrush or the like to spray - scrub - spray. I did on my last SS just pull the wheels and use a scrub brush and soap and water to start. Spend the time, get ‘em clean, let them dry and start taping.

The blue painters tape I used worked but the tack was a little low. Using a tape that had a bit more stick would have been nice. I used a 1” tape. Having a 1/2” roll as well would be nice too. The little rubber boots are just under an inch so you have to tear the tape to go around nice. There are 3-4 bolt heads, two rubber boots and the nipple for the fluid to tape around. I stopped the tape where the spring for the rear break starts and made my line around there. Take the plastic wrap and pull it tight and in-between the rotor and pad works great.

The hole in the center of the caliber back means you will have some over spray on the rotor. When done and all the tape is off rotate the rotor and clean off with some paint thinner. All in all the rear break took about 2 hours to complete. Spend the time to tape off your bolts and make sure you put plastic out enough so there is no over spray.

Very important! This paint is thin. Make your first coat very light. Just a shade. Then get a little more on the second coat then you can be more aggressive on the third. This paint will run and drip if you try to get to much on. Go slow, take your time with prep and painting and you will not be disappointed! Having the bolt heads taped off and the rubber boot makes it look like you took them off to paint.

Lastly and I think we all know this but it is good to hammer home. Use Jack stands,
    Put wood blocks under the frame. Leave the jack snug under the frame. You will be putting your head in the wheel wells and taping off spots that are "in the sling” so having the SS triple protected with Blocks, jack stands, and jack WITH 2x4’s behind the wheels I think is a must! I did the rear wheel first - left the front wheels on and blocked both in front and rear on a level surface. Blocked the frame on both sides and left the jack on too. YOU CAN’T BE TOO SAFE!

Have fun - I really like how this came out!

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

Edited once, last by SoCal ().

• Yed but you need a 2.5" exhaust. Your kit probably came with a 110. You can get 100 or smaller. I'm sticking with the 110 because it's safe for the engine and I haven't seen a 2.5 exhaust I like. If you go smaller than100 I think it's recommended to beef up the engine.

thanks for the input. I am running a 2.5 exhaust but really don't want to beef the engine up unless I really have to.

:flag_United_States::BLACKSS::COLDAIRSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS::SUPERCHARGERSS::COILOVERSS:

S O G Member - TRAKHAMR

• Yeah but I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed and I have no idea where to cut and drill.

If you have a spare muffler turn the exhaust toward your stomach with the pipe on the top. Mark you a 4 inch inch in the right hand corner away from you and cut out. You will see the cat to the left. To the right with a drill motor and a uni bit cut you a large hole just to the right of the converter. Then weld the 4 cut out back up.

• If you have a spare muffler turn the exhaust toward your stomach with the pipe on the top. Mark you a 4 inch inch in the right hand corner away from you and cut out. You will see the cat to the left. To the right with a drill motor and a uni bit cut you a large hole just to the right of the converter. Then weld the 4 cut out back up.

EricRedSL I still have my stock muffler if you want it Sir.

:flag_United_States::BLACKSS::COLDAIRSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS::SUPERCHARGERSS::COILOVERSS:

S O G Member - TRAKHAMR

• Well, have my wheels all done and I’m happy with it.

While I had the rear wheel off it was painfully obvious that I did not have that little mudflap on the swing arm. I had some really nice 1/6 inch thick rubber so made one.

Got my tufskinz stickers on my rear brake lights and the side panels.

Strange how when you’re a child stickers are free - not so much these days

My daughter gets home from work around 1 o’clock so it’s a father daughter ride day😎

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• Bravo.......nice job, love that color