What was today's Sling project-Mods , goodies....?

• Second 3D printer project I’m working on, going to test my fiberglass and Bondo skills with this one. Need to make a new hood plate to mount the scoop on, then try to figure out how to make it functional.

Before cutting your hood, I recommend taping some 6" yarn or paper pieces in a consistent pattern all over the hood and then taking a ride, recording the movement of the pieces in the different areas of the hood. Areas w/o much movement of the pieces would not be good locations to place a hood scoop since they represent areas of low pressure (assuming you want to force air into the hood scoop), while areas with lots of movement of the pieces should be prime locations for scoop placement since those locations should force more air into the hood scoop. That way you can position and size your hood scoop to maximize its performance. If you want the hood scoop to draw air out of the engine compartment, then best placement would probably be in the areas where there is minimal air disturbance on the top of the hood since these areas would most likely have lower pressure, thereby drawing air out from under the hood.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• Goats_Hogs Quick question I see the header is in your goodies list at the bottom of your posts. Did you install an exhaust system as well or just a header? And if just the header are you Satisfied with it? I have never owned a motorcycle without changing the exhaust system. A little more performance would be nice but I would like the candy of a better sound possibility as well.

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• Goats_Hogs Quick question I see the header is in your goodies list at the bottom of your posts. Did you install an exhaust system as well or just a header? And if just the header are you Satisfied with it? I have never owned a motorcycle without changing the exhaust system. A little more performance would be nice but I would like the candy of a better sound possibility as well.

With stock muffler and a CAT delete, it will change the tone slightly. Not much at idle, but a bit louder when under load or higher RPM. With header and CAT delete, it was about as perfect as I thought a 4 cyl could get. Then I bought a different SS from a close friend and since my opinion has changed a bit.

I got the different SS last Sept/Oct. Not sure of the exact date, but it all started at Mayhem in the Mountains at Bristol. Long story shorter (but honorable mention to Painter and SlingRider and of course Bu11sh1t..... not to forget to mention bjk81 ), I installed the Welter FSX (Front, Side, eXit) on it. I'm now supercharged, with header/WelterFSX. I could not be happier with the end result! This exhaust is what I wanted it to sound like! Boosted sounds the same, only a tad more intense! There is a video of it below (this one isn't boosted). Next to this exhaust, I'd choose the stock muffler with a CAT delete and Header. If nothing else, it flows better, and gets rid of the rusty cast iron manifold (and that one holds heat).

https://www.bing.com/videos/se…4BA&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

I am not boosted on either Slingshot, Sling I has the Welter Dual with the cat delete and the 1320 header it also has the tune. Sling II has the cat delete and the 1320 header with the stock muffler that I have also bypassed the internal cat. It is not hard to bypass the internal cat you just need a grinding wheel to cut the stock muffler open, a vari bit to drill the internal panel and then weld the stock muffler back up. Yes, I still like the sound of this modified stock muffler

• Picked up my American Racing wheels and tires from RevDynamics yesterday. Just finished my second coat of F11. Thanks Mitch for your help! 255/35/20 fronts, 305/30/20 rear.

Thanks for the business and hope you love them. Been really happy with those tires and those wheels look great. Hope to see you guys again soon.

• Goats_Hogs . Next to this exhaust, I'd choose the stock muffler with a CAT delete and Header. If nothing else, it flows better, and gets rid of the rusty cast iron manifold (and that one holds heat).

Truth be told I have never done any candy under the hood but every time I raise the hood and look at that giant piece of rusted cast-iron I am seriously considering the stainless header. If for no other reason just to get rid of the ugly factor . Getting some better flow and possibly a few more ponies would be nice too.

FunCycle do you have or has someone posted that you know of the cat delete surgery? Thank you everybody once again for some great info as Santa Claus is rumored to be coming to town🎅🏼

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• Goats_Hogs . Next to this exhaust, I'd choose the stock muffler with a CAT delete and Header. If nothing else, it flows better, and gets rid of the rusty cast iron manifold (and that one holds heat).

Truth be told I have never done any candy under the hood but every time I raise the hood and look at that giant piece of rusted cast-iron I am seriously considering the stainless header. If for no other reason just to get rid of the ugly factor . Getting some better flow and possibly a few more ponies would be nice too.

FunCycle do you have or has someone posted that you know of the cat delete surgery? Thank you everybody once again for some great info as Santa Claus is rumored to be coming to town🎅🏼

Most people delete the cat in the pipe and don't bother the muffler myself included.

Ruptured Duck And FunCycle are the ones I'm aware of doing this. I've done the cai ,header, and cat delete but feel it still takes a aftermarket tune to get the most from those mods. Think it through and if you have any thoughts of going boosted keep that in mind on what you do

Yes, I think that I posted it in the DIY section. It is also easy to change out the muffler, make loops out of ty-raps to pull the springs back in place. If you can find another muffler to use and make the mod. If you have the muffler in your hands turn it so that the exhaust end is pointed toward you and up. Now imagine a 4 inch cut out in the top right corner, in the more or less flat area. Cut this out and you will be looking at an internal panel with the cat just to the left. Take your 1/2 to 5/8 uni drill bit and drill a bunch of holes in this internal panel and then you just weld the 4 inch piece you cut out back in and you are done.

• With stock muffler and a CAT delete, it will change the tone slightly. Not much at idle, but a bit louder when under load or higher RPM. With header and CAT delete, it was about as perfect as I thought a 4 cyl could get. Then I bought a different SS from a close friend and since my opinion has changed a bit.

I got the different SS last Sept/Oct. Not sure of the exact date, but it all started at Mayhem in the Mountains at Bristol. Long story shorter (but honorable mention to Painter and SlingRider and of course Bu11sh1t..... not to forget to mention bjk81 ), I installed the Welter FSX (Front, Side, eXit) on it. I'm now supercharged, with header/WelterFSX. I could not be happier with the end result! This exhaust is what I wanted it to sound like! Boosted sounds the same, only a tad more intense! There is a video of it below (this one isn't boosted). Next to this exhaust, I'd choose the stock muffler with a CAT delete and Header. If nothing else, it flows better, and gets rid of the rusty cast iron manifold (and that one holds heat).

https://www.bing.com/videos/se…4BA&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Sounds pretty nice

SoCal - if its looks that your interested in and if you have no plans on going boosted then you might want to consider the header that Full Blown motorsports sells - it is a long tube equal length design that they say gives a 17 hp gain - I dont know if that is true, but it looks amazing Full Blown Motorsports - (this would be my choice if I ever decide to get a header and I might get their matching exhaust as well)

I could be wrong, but from what I understand because of the longer tubes this header does not allow enough room for it to be used in boosted applications - -

img_3050_1.jpg

slingshot_header.jpg

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

Edited once, last by Edward Neal ().

• I went to the website.

Do you know if it deletes the the CAT and bolts up to the stock exhaust?

I believe the header will bolt right up the the stock exhaust but I think you would need a cat delete pipe if you want to get rid of the cat or you could also get their exhaust to go with the header - - if you want to know for sure you should contact full blown motorsports - their contact info is in the link in my post

• It bolts up to the engine and also deletes the cat

I think ConnMan was asking about just the header and not the entire system

• It does not bolt up to the stock exhaust!

good to know - - I thought it looked like it might

and I figured that when they say " FBM headers are direct bolt-on upgrades for your Slingshot exhaust system" that it was a direct replacement for the stock exhaust manifold that would bolt right to head and the stock cat and muffler

thanks for letting me know it is not

edit - I e-mailed Full blown and asked about using with stock exhaust - see post below

Edited once, last by Edward Neal ().

• just to answer my own question I e-mailed Full Blown to ask them about using the header with the stock exhaust - here is a screen grab of the reply

i-QwDTDPR-XL.jpg

• just to answer my own question I e-mailed Full Blown to ask them about using the header with the stock exhaust

Thanks Ed!!

I'm probably in the minority, but I was in a Slingshot with a CAT Delete pipe. The smell of the exhaust drove me nuts. That's why I never did anything with it.

Never trust a ConnMan!!
    (Man I love that line!)
    :00007555: