What was today's Sling project-Mods , goodies....?

• @ed, it was a warranty problem, not an actual recall.....but you can read about it here...Sorry it took so long had a job to do today.... away from home...

https://www.slingshotforums.co…d-pad-warranty-set.10532/

I Have a 2015 don’t know what the exact issue was....But you can see the Round button bumpers on the pictures and you can look on yours to see what you have on yours.

yes, thank you, I was aware that it had been an issue with the pads falling off and that the fix was to replace them with the round bumpers - - other than having to replace all three of the missing factory pads I havent had any complaints - and the slingmod pads have stayed on perfectly even through 2 full summers - cleaned the mounting points well before the install and they havent budged

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Once again we spent another Saturday with Erica and Stacy’s so Erica could fix my lights.

I had a separate remote control that controlled my upper and lower eyebrow lights. The remote stop working. I haven’t had these lights for three months now.

I was going to order all new lights when Erica said no don’t. Just order the XK Glow controller and she would rewire my old lights to run off this new controller and I could control the lights from a app on my phone. No more remote...YAY

I can’t speak highly enough of Erica’s wiring expertises. Not only did she get my lights working again, she also decided I needed more lights under the passenger and driver seats and behind each speaker in the footwells.

With the new controller the lights are on two different channels. So I can control the inside lights independently from the outside lights or simultaneously.

She had to hand make all new quick disconnects. Each one was four pin so four different pins had to be soldered to four different wires for just one quick disconnect. She had eight to do.

Then she added a power switch to kill the power to all the lights with just one switch. Then we can power it up and it defaults to purple. 

Now as Erica was doing my lights, Stacy was building a table top for her router to sit under like a table saw blade does. Then with the crank of a handle it raises up to whatever height she needs. Her talents are beyond amazing.

Overall just two amazingly talented people. Pictures does not do this justice. The lights can do all kinds of things with this new controller but I like just one solid color. Purple. Now for parades and other special events I’ll change it up but for now it’s just simple.

Between the new amp and now these lights, I say thank you so very much to Erica and Stacy. Give them both a shout out if you ever need any type of work done.

Thank you ladies.

• Global materials. Means the put the kit together using craftsman (sears) Chinese parts. I’m pretty sure there is a town named Connecticut in China. LOL they must have had a good lawyer to write that ad.

Years ago when Japanese junk started to saturate our markets they actually named a town USA. So they could say it was made in USA.

• Put the UP Top back on Sling I. I have not plugged the firewall holes on Sling II yet. On these hot days the difference is night and day between Sling I and Sling II

I blocked the dash cubby area from engine compartment heat, but still feel a lot of heat round my legs in the cockpit.

Do you have a short list or thread on what you blocked?

• I blocked the dash cubby area from engine compartment heat, but still feel a lot of heat round my legs in the cockpit.

Do you have a short list or thread on what you blocked?

I made a pattern of the holes around the pedals and used the rubber molding that was used around the windshield in the 1930's to 40's. Using silicone rubber to hold the pieces in. I did not remember how much hot air comes thru there until riding around in this heat in Sling II. I pulled out the radio and cut foam rubber to fit (2 layers). Also I measured and cut foam rubber to fill in the two holes in the console beside the shifter on both sides. Passenger side has two layers of insulation plus carpet on the front of the foot well. I used regular house insulation around the steering wheel shaft. I have already bought the rubber for Sling II but have not gotten around to the install yet. With the cockpit mods that I have done I no longer have a low pressure area in the cockpit

• BKL have you brought any 'fresh air' into the cockpit area?
    these are pictures of what we did on Harvey's Slingshot

11/4 shop vac hose tucked thru the fender

Funnel gets a little more air

Hose tucks into the cockpit

I have this set up on both sides of the Slingshot

and also a 3/4 hose that come into the hole around
    the clutch
    peddle. Not very fancy but no one sees

unless you point it out to them and dose keep
    air movement where there is not much.

• BKL have you brought any 'fresh air' into the cockpit area?
    these are pictures of what we did on Harvey's Slingshot

I have this set up on both sides of the Slingshot

and also a 3/4 hose that come into the hole around
    the clutch
    peddle. Not very fancy but no one sees

unless you point it out to them and dose keep
    air movement where there is not much.

I can't remember who first did it, but I have a small 2" gauge pod and an AC vent installed under the driver side splash-guard (misplaced my supplies so I haven't done the passenger side yet), but I still get a significant amount of hot air in the cockpit. I've been thinking about trying an intake hose thru the top holes in the splash-guard, but just haven't gotten around to it.

• I can't remember who first did it, but I have a small 2" gauge pod and an AC vent installed under the driver side splash-guard (misplaced my supplies so I haven't done the passenger side yet), but I still get a significant amount of hot air in the cockpit. I've been thinking about trying an intake hose thru the top holes in the splash-guard, but just haven't gotten around to it.

Number of different ways to get air in...sometimes it's good for those who have been around a little to share some of this stuff so the new guys can get a clue.

• I can't remember who first did it, but I have a small 2" gauge pod and an AC vent installed under the driver side splash-guard (misplaced my supplies so I haven't done the passenger side yet), but I still get a significant amount of hot air in the cockpit. I've been thinking about trying an intake hose thru the top holes in the splash-guard, but just haven't gotten around to it.

I built a scoop to cover all of the top holes there. It was not worth the effort, there is very little air there. I got very little air flow there. The system that I made using the mirror stalks to mount really does work and gives you plenty of air. Pictures are on here somewhere. Made from a 20 degree 1 1/2 inch coupling a straight coupling and a couple of real short straight sections to connect those and the vac hose. Attached to the mirror stalks with zip tyes. It works like RAM AIR.

• I built a scoop to cover all of the top holes there. It was not worth the effort, there is very little air there. I got very little air flow there. The system that I made using the mirror stalks to mount really does work and gives you plenty of air. Pictures are on here somewhere. Made from a 20 degree 1 1/2 inch coupling a straight coupling and a couple of real short straight sections to connect those and the vac hose. Attached to the mirror stalks with zip tyes. It works like RAM AIR.

If I remember right FunCycle used 'hot pink' pipe to make his system...really looks good.

• I built a scoop to cover all of the top holes there. It was not worth the effort, there is very little air there. I got very little air flow there. The system that I made using the mirror stalks to mount really does work and gives you plenty of air. Pictures are on here somewhere. Made from a 20 degree 1 1/2 inch coupling a straight coupling and a couple of real short straight sections to connect those and the vac hose. Attached to the mirror stalks with zip tyes. It works like RAM AIR.

I think I remember seeing a pic of those, but I am now using regular motorcycle mirrors and don't have the structure of the OEM mirror stalks to hold the tubes. I may try something similar anyway.

• I think I remember seeing a pic of those, but I am now using regular motorcycle mirrors and don't have the structure of the OEM mirror stalks to hold the tubes. I may try something similar anyway.

At one time I was going to do something similar to EjFord but I could not make up the front mount without a lot of trouble and it would have worked as good or better as the mirror mount.

• I think I remember seeing a pic of those, but I am now using regular motorcycle mirrors and don't have the structure of the OEM mirror stalks to hold the tubes. I may try something similar anyway.

You have motorcycle mirrors? I'd love to see a pic of those. You have one posted somewhere?

"If I were a Jedi, there's a 100% chance I would use the force inappropriately!"

• You have motorcycle mirrors? I'd love to see a pic of those. You have one posted somewhere?

Here's my most recent pic -

Here's a link to the mirrors - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KM9139Q/, but they're currently listed as Unavailable. Due to their design, they tend to want to stick up along the stem, but that doesn't bother me. I was looking for mirrors that didn't seem so bulky and when these seemed to fit my need, I didn't bother looking for anything better.

I'll go grab a pic in the carport with my TD Top now in place. I grabbed a pic, but it didn't come out too well in the dark. Not enough detail to warrant uploading.

The only real drawback to the mirrors is they are cheap and the black paint has allowed some rust, so they could use a repaint, but the sliding cover over the locknut at the base doesn't come off, making it a little harder to touch up. With my NASCAR style windshield's tilt to match the general tilt of the TD tops' frame, the passenger mirror is visible between the top's tilted front frame tube and the right edge of the windshield, but it still provides me enough visibility, especially since I have a 4-panel multi-mirror mounted to the front crossbar of the top which just about eliminates a need for side mirrors with its wide field of view.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• Here's my most recent pic -

Here's a link to the mirrors - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KM9139Q/, but they're currently listed as Unavailable. Due to their design, they tend to want to stick up along the stem, but that doesn't bother me. I was looking for mirrors that didn't seem so bulky and when these seemed to fit my need, I didn't bother looking for anything better.

I'll go grab a pic in the carport with my TD Top now in place.

Those look great. Thanks for sharing.

"If I were a Jedi, there's a 100% chance I would use the force inappropriately!"

• I have the MeanSling mirror extenders which are basically a metal plate that bolts down to the factory mirror mount and then has a hole at the other end where you reattach the mirror with a bolt and a nut

because of the way this extension is designed you could easily attach just about any motorcycle mirror in place of the factory mirrors. Anyway for anyone looking into the idea of changing to motorcycle mirrors you might consider making a simple extension like the meansling extensions - I suspect this is something most of us have the skill to do, just cut piece of 1/4" X 1" flat steel cut into 2 pieces each about 3" long and drill 2 holes, 1 to bolt it down where the stock mirror mount and the other to attach a new mirror - - - The ones from Patrick of course are perfectly finished with rounded ends and powder coating a little filing or grinding and some paint would probably do just fine

anyway just thought this might b helpful for anyone who would like to change mirrors - having a mount that is simply a hole like this would make it very easy

here you can see the extension with only the Sport top A arm installed - as you can see just about any motorcycle mirror would probably bolt right on

i-DMZKxCM-X2.jpg

i-2dP4tm2-X2.jpg

And this is with the stock mirror mounted

i-d8H98r8-X2.jpg

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies