What was today's Sling project-Mods , goodies....?

• Edward Neal It was faster. :)

I didn't like leaving $14,000 of electronics in the rain while parked at work. There were 200+ wires not shown in the photos... Plus I had 6 gallons of fuel strapped between a 2,000 amp spark throwing brushed DC motor and half a mega watt of dynamite lithium ion batteries. LOL

P.S. Those big black hoses are actually 4/0 deisel locomotive wire :)

Eventually decided to go with Dave@DDMWorks Stage 3.

DDM Stage 3 Turbo / Intercooler / Fuel Rail / Track Clutch

Magnaflow Short Exhaust / GM 2 Bar MAP Sensor / 60# Fuel Injectors / AEM Air/fuel Gauge / Glow Shift Boost Gauge

Stock: Radiator, Coolant Resevoir, ECU with Tune, Intake Manifold, Suspension, Brakes

Stock: 305/45R18 Nitto NT555R not enough traction

• That is a wicked project! Pretty awesome to see someone start experimenting with really outside the box ideas.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• are you planning on making it street legal?

• are you planning on making it street legal?

If I am not mistaken this is a prior version - the version he is running now has a DDM stage 3 turbo and I am pretty sure he is running it on the streets - - - Airborne if you could post up some current pictures taken in good light I would love to get a really good look at what you have done - the prior pictures I saw seemed to be shot in a parking structure in low light and I had trouble seeing all the detail - Thanks

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Bigdog

I didn't know it was illegal to save the planet with my electric hybrid! LOL

Magnaflow Short Exhaust / GM 2 Bar MAP Sensor / 60# Fuel Injectors / AEM Air/fuel Gauge / Glow Shift Boost Gauge

Stock: Radiator, Coolant Resevoir, ECU with Tune, Intake Manifold, Suspension, Brakes

• Edward Neal

These are pretty current, without 400,000 watts of electricity...

Note: I changed the radiator fluid from green to orange, this is old photo. Some of you will know what I'm talking about. LOL

• I do like it, have you considered swapping out the roll hoops for some of the Assault Industries cobra style hoops? - - If I had the discretionary $$ the chrome hoops would be very high on my list and the black ones would go great with the look of your setup

polaris-slingshot-cobra-style-roll-hoops-assault-industries-5b.jpg

polaris-slingshot-cobra-style-roll-hoops-assault-industries-4.jpg

• Edward Neal

These are pretty current, without 400,000 watts of electricity...

Airborne, How do you like those motorcycle LED headlights? Do they fit specific motorcycle models or will they fit in a generic motorcycle headlight bucket? How does their light output compare to stock?

As far as the Nitto 555 G2 reviews go, they are very common on Mustangs and presumably other high performance cars, so most reviewers are going to have tire/wheel loadings at least 50% higher than we Slingshot owners see. I bought an American Muscle 17x10.5" +28mm Offset Mustang wheel designed to fit 94-04 Mustangs so I could try a Nitto 555 G2 315/35ZR17 tire since it was the cheapest way to try such a wide tire. Overall I like it. Yes, my Stage 2 turbo kit can cause it to spin, but I feel part of the performance challenge is trying to accelerate as quickly as possible w/o spinning the rear. I've been running around 28psi in the rear tire and should probably try some lower pressures to see how they affect tread life and traction.

For those looking for the maximum bang for the buck for a larger tire, you might consider the Achilles ATR Sport 2. It comes in stock Slingshot tire sizes and several larger sizes that are approved for the stock wheel sizes (https://www.achillestireusa.co…s/performance/atr-sport-2). I tried one in 305/30ZR18 size with an 18x10.5" wheel with a total combo cost of less than$230. Amazon offers Achilles tires at very low prices. When I bought my 305 tire, it was around $105 for the tire. As far as tread life and traction, I'd say it compares to my Nitto 555 G2 315 tire on my Slingshot at less than 1/2 the cost. My only complaint about the ATR Sport 2 305/30 tire is that 2 different tire shops had a difficult time getting it mounted on the 18x10.5" wheel. I guess it has a very tight bead. The second shop had to use a strap around the circumference of the ire to force it to seat. So far I put around 11000 miles on the 555 G2 and may get another 4000 miles or so when I put it back on. I currently have around 10000 miles on the ATR Sport 2. Like the 555 G2, I've been running around 28psi in the ATR Sport 2 on the rear and lower pressures may affect both tread life and traction.

• Not todays mod, but my next "mod" arrived today - - still think there is some fun to be had with the Motivo before ditching it, but at least I am ready :thumbsup:

i-zxrrZGk-X2.jpg

I know there are some who think the 555 G2 does not have the best traction, but I feel very confident that it will be a big step up from the Motivo. With Tread rating of 320 compared to 560 I suspect its a much softer sticker rubber compound

I've been running the Nito 555 G2 ... getting fair traction for the way I drive and very good mileage.

• I do like it, have you considered swapping out the roll hoops for some of the Assault Industries cobra style hoops? - - If I had the discretionary $$ the chrome hoops would be very high on my list and the black ones would go great with the look of your setup

polaris-slingshot-cobra-style-roll-hoops-assault-industries-5b.jpg

polaris-slingshot-cobra-style-roll-hoops-assault-industries-4.jpg

Edward Neal

Why would you ever recommend something that might void his warranty? ;)

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• Edward Neal

Why would you ever recommend something that might void his warranty? ;)

it only voids it if he ends up upside down - - - geezzzzz

• I've been running the Nito 555 G2 ... getting fair traction for the way I drive and very good mileage.

good to hear - - my driving conditions are very different from conditions in much of the rest of the country - it was 108 ambient temp for my ride home this afternoon which would translate to an surface temp of approximately 160 to 170 degrees - even this morning on my ride in it was 80 I highly suspect a tire could perform very differently here then it would where temperatures are much lower - especially if one were to try running summer tires at temps below 45 which from what I have read can be down right dangerous. This is from Tire Rack:

"Summer performance tires feature tread compounds engineered to provide traction in warm to hot ambient temperatures. They were never intended to experience near- and below-freezing temperatures, nor the wintry driving conditions that often accompany them.

As ambient temperatures get colder, typically in the 40-45° Fahrenheit range, summer performance tires lose a noticeable percentage of traction as their tread compound rubber properties change from a pliable elastic to inflexible plastic. The tire industry uses the term "glass transition" to describe the temperature where a summer performance tire's grip/slip performance changes dramatically. This means the summer performance tires that provide predictable traction in warm to hot conditions will be found to be very challenging to drive in cold to freezing temperatures. This is especially true when the tires first begin to be driven or if the driver aggressively applies gas pedal pressure with today's turbocharged fours or high-torque sixes and eights. Fortunately, glass transition is a reversible condition that allows the tires' normal traction to return as the ambient temperatures climb."

I probably live in one of the few places where a summer tire would be considered a good/safe choice year round as even our coldest months average highs are in the 70's and lows almost never drop below 45

• BKL

The LED headlights a for a Harley-Davidson. They are excessively bright with 2. I bought some Amazon headlight buckets for mounting.

I felt some additional tire grip down to about 15psi tire pressure. Drove it at 8psi for a week long experiment, and the handling was pretty bad, constant steering to keep straight on the highway. And the tire would still only wear in the center.:( I keep them at 20-25 currently.

SoCal

:D That was my emergency shutdown for the 410 VDC 2,000 Amp electric motor system.

I put a triple Failsafe switch under my throttle pedal near the end of travel. When I hit peddle to the metal, it would go from 0% to full electron flow! Get back and watch the plasma ⚡️ fly off those DC motor brushes! At night, the sparks would light up my surroundings! :D

Needless to say kids were not allowed to get near it...

• BKL

Agreed. I tried pointing them down, but... they kind of blind traffic from all directions.

My visibility is great, others not so much... :(

• BKL

Before the motorcycle headlights I had an off-road light bar for headlights. It was really good lighting and directional. Perfect ground lighting and no light in other peoples eyes. Then the city police chief kindly told me to remove it, so... on bought the blinding motorcycle lights.

Maybe I’ll make some covers to direct the light :/

Images