What was today's Sling project-Mods , goodies....?

• I use Super Lube synthetic grease for both my U-Joint and the sway bar - - and it does have a multi color label

Super Lube

Super Lube is the best stuff out there IMHO for rust proving with the spray can like guns. The grease comes in 2 grease gun sizes, a 3 oz. tube and the spray can. Some of you have heard me preach about this stuff for the last 5 years. This is also the stuff my spare rear axle bearings are coated with and then sealed in two zip lock bags. You have also heard me talk about Loctite 567 thread Sealant many times. If you do not want to use regular Loctite like pink, blue or red. Your bolts, screws or nuts will not vibrate loose and you do not have to reapply every time you take them loose. These are two products that I have used for over 30 years in an industrial application. I do not think that there is anything better out there even today.

• FunCycle

I never mixed fluids. Between the previous 2 coolant changes, I flushed the system for about 15 minutes with water.

Is 100% Orielly's Dex-cool Compatibable bad for my system?

I noticed you mentioned mixing fluids a couple times in these posts, and I wanted to be clear I never mixed any fluids.

only distilled water should be added to the radiator.....

• finally got home after playing with the pedal commander,HUGE FAN!

After playing with It quite a bit through town and on the highway I ended up at sport +2, I’ve always started out in second because I spin the hell out of the wheel in first, now I got to be careful not to spin the Wheel in second when I start out, I find the vehicle is a lot more responsive and to me it seems much quicker, there’s less lag between letting off the gas shifting gears and getting back on it. I’m not a rich person so I pondered buying it for quite a while, glad I bought it!

• I'm not sure, so checked the owners manual and the service manual both, it doesn't mention it at all. In fact, neither of them mention greasing the u-joint at all, in either document.

The service manual does have a few entries for grease inventory for the dealers, but I found no reference to using any specific ones.

I would suspect the grease I use on the bearings for my Jayco trailer, which is rated for extreme temperatures would be fine for greasing the U-Joint. I believe Sam Owens posted a video on YouTube about that very thing, but I'll have to watch it again.

"If I were a Jedi, there's a 100% chance I would use the force inappropriately!"

• I would suspect the grease I use on the bearings for my Jayco trailer, which is rated for extreme temperatures would be fine for greasing the U-Joint. I believe Sam Owens posted a video on YouTube about that very thing, but I'll have to watch it again.

I run the grease with the highest temp. rating for the universal and the axle bearings.

• Not todays mod, but my next "mod" arrived today - - still think there is some fun to be had with the Motivo before ditching it, but at least I am ready :thumbsup:

i-zxrrZGk-X2.jpg

I know there are some who think the 555 G2 does not have the best traction, but I feel very confident that it will be a big step up from the Motivo. With Tread rating of 320 compared to 560 I suspect its a much softer sticker rubber compound

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Not necessarily. The treadwear number is totally misleading. While it is a UTOG rating (Universal Tire Quality Grade) it doesn't mean anything when comparing one tire from one company to another tire from a second company. The government specs originally were designed for this to be a universal comparison, what it is now is whatever each company wants to use as a comparison. For a Goodyear (or any other tire company) to issue their rating number, it has to be based on a "standard tire" from them. So one company can have a tread rating of 560 (meaning it should last 5.6 times longer than their base tire) they are free to assign their base tire to be an old bias ply tire that on a good day would last 12,000 miles. their 560 tire should last over 65,000 miles. But company #2 wants to be honest with their numbers, and assigns their base tire to be a club radial that has a tread life of 25,000. So their good tire showing a rating of 300 should get 75,000 miles. Not knowing this, a LOT of people when comparing tires between companies would pick the longer wearing (higher number) over a lower number thinking they are getting a better, longer wearing tire. Totally misleading spec to go by.

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• Not necessarily. The treadwear number is totally misleading. While it is a UTOG rating (Universal Tire Quality Grade) it doesn't mean anything when comparing one tire from one company to another tire from a second company. The government specs originally were designed for this to be a universal comparison, what it is now is whatever each company wants to use as a comparison. For a Goodyear (or any other tire company) to issue their rating number, it has to be based on a "standard tire" from them. So one company can have a tread rating of 560 (meaning it should last 5.6 times longer than their base tire) they are free to assign their base tire to be an old bias ply tire that on a good day would last 12,000 miles. their 560 tire should last over 65,000 miles. But company #2 wants to be honest with their numbers, and assigns their base tire to be a club radial that has a tread life of 25,000. So their good tire showing a rating of 300 should get 75,000 miles. Not knowing this, a LOT of people when comparing tires between companies would pick the longer wearing (higher number) over a lower number thinking they are getting a better, longer wearing tire. Totally misleading spec to go by.

And that Nitto 555 G2 is so hard of a rubber compound it should last you around 25,000 to 30,000 on the back of the Sling :D

Yes I do realize the number is not very good across companies, but in this case both tires are from the same manufacturer - Nitto

• And that Nitto 555 G2 is so hard of a rubber compound it should last you around 25,000 to 30,000 on the back of the Sling :D

That would be impressive - I am only at around 16,000 on the Nitto Motivo you se on the right - I would be very impressed if I got better mileage out of a summer tire from the same company as their 60,000 mile rated all season tire 8o

As a side note I suspect tire life and traction might be very different here in the desert than in other places - I was reading that some summer tires can get so hard they crack at temperatures of only 40 degrees - our average high in December & January is in the 70's which should make a summer tire an all season tire here - - add to that that that in summer for 4 months straight we can count on highs over 100 - was actually 108 today - - - I am no tire expert, but I would suspect a tire to get softer and grippier at higher temperatures

• He's normally aspriated and probably don't drive like us so it may last him 50K to 60k miles.

A short story about getting run off the road in Charleston, I had to buy a tire about like the 555 for the bike (only one in town) Within 200 miles I had a good tire on the bike (Brigestone), the kid asked what to do with that new tire, I told him not to put it on anyone's bike and throw it in the trash, that tire would slide out from under you even on dry pavement. I had $200 in that tire and threw it away.

• That would be impressive - I am only at around 16,000 on the Nitto Motivo you se on the right - I would be very impressed if I got better mileage out of a summer tire from the same company as their 60,000 mile rated all season tire 8o

I believe EjFord said he got 25000 out of his nitto 555

• I believe EjFord said he got 25000 out of his nitto 555

The Kenda that came on the sling made it to 9,000, the Motivo on the back now has about 16,000 - - I highly suspect the 555 G2 will fall some place between the 2

I do have to add that my sling was the dealer demo so I suspect the Kenda might have been abused a bit before I got it -

Also I looked at a bunch of online reviews and the 555 G2 gets really good reviews one even said best in class and almost every option that rates better also cost a great deal more - the one option that was recommended that actually cost less almost $30 less in this case, the Riken Raptor ZR gets pretty good reviews but everyone I found after they said it performed well they all followed with the line "for the price" - - that didnt thrill me, when they have to add that it seems like they are saying it wouldn't be that great if it cost more

• I got 6000 out of the kenda but thought it had better handling characteristics and grip than the nitto. Only my opinion but I felt the kenda was very predictable when at its limits while the nitto seems to start giving up unpredictably. Thinking I'll be trying a Toyo next

• I believe EjFord said he got 25000 out of his nitto 555

I honestly wish I had kept track of how many miles I have gotten out of each rear tire. My sling only has around 19,500 and I have had 1 factory tire, at least 1 maybe 2 Lexani, 1 Toyo T1R, 1 R888R, 1 Mickey Thompson, 1 nitto 555 G2 and right now I can't think of anything else. I have 4 rear wheels so I don't always put them on and run them until they are gone. I change the rear tires out depending on the type of riding I am expecting to be doing. For instance, if I'm leaving here and riding down to FL to the coast for a few days I will likely be wearing something like the Lexani, if I'm headed to the mountains to enjoy the curves I will likely be wearing something like the T1R, if I'm headed to the track for track day I'll likely be wearing the R888Rs all the way round. I don't remember exactly how many miles I've gotten out of any of them. I do however remember the level of performance that I've gotten out of each of them and it is always inversely proportional to the milage. The nitto has by far been the worst tire I've tried. The only way I'll ever have another one on one of my wheels is if someone gives me a brand new one. It'd be ok to keep around for long flat straight trips. No sense in wearing out a good tire for something like that. jes my .o2

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• I honestly wish I had kept track of how many miles I have gotten out of each rear tire. My sling only has around 19,500 and I have had 1 factory tire, at least 1 maybe 2 Lexani, 1 Toyo T1R, 1 R888R, 1 Mickey Thompson, 1 nitto 555 G2 and right now I can't think of anything else. I have 4 rear wheels so I don't always put them on and run them until they are gone. I change the rear tires out depending on the type of riding I am expecting to be doing. For instance, if I'm leaving here and riding down to FL to the coast for a few days I will likely be wearing something like the Lexani, if I'm headed to the mountains to enjoy the curves I will likely be wearing something like the T1R, if I'm headed to the track for track day I'll likely be wearing the R888Rs all the way round. I don't remember exactly how many miles I've gotten out of any of them. I do however remember the level of performance that I've gotten out of each of them and it is always inversely proportional to the milage. The nitto has by far been the worst tire I've tried. The only way I'll ever have another one on one of my wheels is if someone gives me a brand new one. It'd be ok to keep around for long flat straight trips. No sense in wearing out a good tire for something like that. jes my .o2

I love the twistys and sounds like your tire of choice for that would be toyo?

• I love the twistys and sounds like your tire of choice for that would be toyo?

I've ran the twisties on the Toyo T1R as well as the R888R. The T1R is a street tire and the R888R is a track tire but they both did a great job in the mountains.

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868