Volvo - what think ye?

• Since you are looking, might look at the Kia Telluride. I bought one in October right off showroom floor. Drove from Austin to Laredo 27.7 mph at 75 or 78 all way home.

Keep Three Wheels Down

• Hehe - we will look at the Mazda, but my wife doesn’t like red cars - here in the desert dark colors are not good with the heat - She wants white

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Info

We drove one yesterday with white (alabaster they call it) leather interior. Looked sharp. Black available too. Their middle level has leather edges with suede seat/back, supposedly cooler in summer. That UX 200 is an interesting vehicle, looking at it online. Didn't know of that model before.

18 SLR Lemon/Gray
    Vanderhall Venice (traded for SLR Apr '18)
    '16.6 SLR LE (traded for Vanderhall Oct '17)
    '11 & '14 Can Am RT's
    60 Years of 2 Wheeling

• Hears what happened ....WW2 and to some extent Korean Vets would only buy American cars, And once the car company's figured that out...They invented planed obsolescence....Then the Vets started dyeing off, And their kids didn't buy into that....And around 1973 the fuel embargo days The foreign car came along with better made cars.....And 30mpg Vs 8 mpg cars...And that's what happened...So if people went back to only buying American .....Planed obsolescence will be back...

Some times a Cigar is just a Cigar.......

• Hears what happened ....WW2 and to some extent Korean Vets would only buy American cars, And once the car company's figured that out...They invented planed obsolescence....Then the Vets started dyeing off, And their kids didn't buy into that....And around 1973 the fuel embargo days The foreign car came along with better made cars.....And 30mpg Vs 8 mpg cars...And that's what happened...So if people went back to only buying American .....Planed obsolescence will be back...

All they cared about was buying cheap and put American manufacturing out of business.

• Since you are looking, might look at the Kia Telluride. I bought one in October right off showroom floor. Drove from Austin to Laredo 27.7 mph at 75 or 78 all way home.

I would agree with Kia or Hyundai 100%. Although the Telluride might be bigger than Ed is looking for. I would highly recommend the Kia Sportage or the Hyundai Santa Fe. We have owned our 2012 Sportage for the last 5 years and it's literally been trouble free since the day we got it. Only things we have done are oil changes, new tires, and brakes. On road trips we typically get 33-35 MPG even with my heavy foot.

As far as the question about the Costco car buying program...I reached out to buy my Nissan Leaf a couple of years ago and it didn't really save me any money. They have an agreed upon bottom dollar that Costco Customers will not pay more than, but a lot of times you can negotiate a better price. I was able to get $4k off my leaf...which was about $1100 more than the Costco price and I ended up getting 0% financing...something that their finance folks says doesn't happen a lot with Costco auto program because they have preffered banks they use for it.

Actively looking for another sling...It is time...

Sorry, but the idea of an "American Car" is pretty much obsolete. Car companies are all multi-national now. Designers from America, Germany, Italy, Sweden, and many other countries design it. Assembly is wherever the company can get the best tax breaks and labor rates - this is often very much a political process, not an engineering decision. Once components are built, engines, interiors, drive trains, they are shipped to a convenient location to be assembled. This process lets the advertising boys to say "Built right here in America!!!" and other such guff.

Just look for a good reliability record, good value for your money. Average and "economy cars" have the features people used to pay lots more for in a luxury car. Hyundai is a leader here, they put lots of tech in their basic models that you used to have to shop BMW or Mercedes to get your hands on just a few years ago.

Competition is great, but name plates on cars mean less than ever before.

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• Sorry, but the idea of an "American Car" is pretty much obsolete. Car companies are all multi-national now. Designers from America, Germany, Italy, Sweden, and many other countries design it. Assembly is wherever the company can get the best tax breaks and labor rates - this is often very much a political process, not an engineering decision. Once components are built, engines, interiors, drive trains, they are shipped to a convenient location to be assembled. This process lets the advertising boys to say "Built right here in America!!!" and other such guff.

Just look for a good reliability record, good value for your money. Average and "economy cars" have the features people used to pay lots more for in a luxury car. Hyundai is a leader here, they put lots of tech in their basic models that you used to have to shop BMW or Mercedes to get your hands on just a few years ago.

Competition is great, but name plates on cars mean less than ever before.

Agree 100% Doc&Ruby its been that way for several years. Here is a map of “the most American cars”

:BLUESS:
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
    ~Mark Twain~

• When Detroit started to build rolling junk (even Lee Iaccoca said they built crap for years), buyers found out that a $2000 Japanese car would outlast a $4500 American car.

Love the mention of Chrysler when talking about the money going overseas. Chrysler WAS owned by a German consortium, but is now owned by Fiat. FIAT, for cripes sake!!!!!!!! At least one Jeep model is a Fiat 500, one of the WORST RATED CARS IN THE ENTIRE WORLD.

Many "American" cars are made in Mexico. I had a Mexican Nissan Sentra once. Will NEVER own another Nissan. Hope to never own a Mexican built car of any kind (and, YES, I know that some other Japanese cars are made there), which is why I check the Country of Origin before I even consider a car.

Ironic, isn't it, that if you want an "American" car, that half the models carry a Japanese name. As far as quality is concerned, NOTHING can match an Accord, Civic, Corolla or Camry. Not here, not anywhere.

• All they cared about was buying cheap and put American manufacturing out of business.

And if i said to you or for that matter anyone on ''ANY'' Motorcycle / Trike forum ' That i buy my oil and filters from the dealers......You or 10 others are going to post back.....Don't buy it from the Stealers, Go on the internet and get it cheap[er].........I've been on forums from 2007...And that all i see, Like when some says i want to buy a helmet or jacket but i'm not sure of the size.......Someone will post back go to the dealer see what fits .....Then go to the internet its cheaper....

Some times a Cigar is just a Cigar.......

• And if i said to you or for that matter anyone on ''ANY'' Motorcycle / Trike forum ' That i buy my oil and filters from the dealers......You or 10 others are going to post back.....Don't buy it from the Stealers, Go on the internet and get it cheap[er].........I've been on forums from 2007...And that all i see, Like when some says i want to buy a helmet or jacket but i'm not sure of the size.......Someone will post back go to the dealer see what fits .....Then go to the internet its cheaper....

I never even used the internet until 2015, but I did buy American made if the item was available. The problem was that the buying public would buy cheap even if it broke the next week. Then they would just order another the next week. Most of the time you get what you pay for.

• Very nice Boomer !

We are looking to eventually upgrade the wife's 2014 Volvo xc90, currently at about 120k miles and no major issues (knock on wood). Hopefully we can get to 200k miles and then upgrade (she drives a lot).

When we do, I was looking at a used Hyundai Palisade (Telluride equivalent, wife prefers the looks of Palisade).

Or she may want another Volvo xc90?

• When the time gets here she change her mind in what she wants/needs. No reason to rush the decision.

• Check out the recalls underway by Kia and Hundai. Various motors and problems, and current Souls with IVT transmissions are having major problems.

Theres much I like about my Soul, but had I done the research, I wouldn't have bought it. It has the 2.0L.

18 SLR Lemon/Gray
    Vanderhall Venice (traded for SLR Apr '18)
    '16.6 SLR LE (traded for Vanderhall Oct '17)
    '11 & '14 Can Am RT's
    60 Years of 2 Wheeling

• Check out the recalls underway by Kia and Hundai. Various motors and problems, and current Souls with IVT transmissions are having major problems.

Theres much I like about my Soul, but had I done the research, I wouldn't have bought it. It has the 2.0L.

Agree with a hearty thumbs down on all CVT vehicles. These things go by a variety of names, so look carefully.

Ask how many speeds the transmission has, and then Google that anyway. (NEVER trust what the sales guy says!)

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• Agree with a hearty thumbs down on all CVT vehicles. These things go by a variety of names, so look carefully.

Ask how many speeds the transmission has, and then Google that anyway. (NEVER trust what the sales guy says!)

Agreed, hate the way they drive .. the newest Hyundai/Kia offering is interesting though. It has a traditional first gear then the CVT takes over. Much better off the line but still feels like its powered by a wound rubber band after that.

Just purchased a .leftover '19 Sonata for our oldest and a '20 SantaFe for our youngest. Have now purchased five Hyudai's, all for our kids, and have never had an issue with any of them and you can't beat the warranty.

We have never owned one, tried to get my wife in a Genesis but she was stuck on a large SUV. Now I see Genesis is coming out with their version of the Telluride. It was designed by Sangyup Lee, he also designed the Bently Bentayga when he worked at Audi. You can see a lot of Audi and Bently in his designs for Genesis.

https://www.genesis.com/us/en/2021/genesis-gv80.html

Just FYI Edward Neal .. that new little Lexus UX has a CVT transmission .... its just a dressed up Toyota C-HR .. if you don't care what name is on it you can get a C-HR Limited for less than the Lexus. They are the exact same mechanically.

..... nerd-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......