Volvo - what think ye?

• My wife and I are getting ready to retire soon and as a part of the preparation we want to replace my wifes car with one last vehicle. As we have talked about this we have decided that a small suv/crossover would be the best complement to my Slingshot as our only family vehicle - right now my wife seems to really like the Volvo XC40 - seems to be a quality vehicle that should last a very long time and big enough to do most any grandchild hauling thing we would need. Anyway just for heck I figured I would ask my friends here if any of you have any experience with Volvo and if so what are your thoughts

thanks

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• We had an xc90 for a few years, but it had turbo issues and the fuel pump sprung a leak. That required removing two rows of seats, the carpeting, and several panels to gain access. Traded it in on a 2016 kia sorento and haven't had any problems.

• Ed, no direct experience but am also looking for similar size. In researching various brands, motors, transmissions, etc, i learned that after a Chinese Co. bought Volvo they began, in 2016, putting Chinese motors in their cars. I didn't research it further and have no idea how those motors have fared. Personally, am looking at Mazda CK-5, and Honda CRV. Have ruled out Toy Rav-4 as its 8 speed transmission is getting a lot of complaints. Not altogether enthused with idea of a 1.5 turbo in the Honda either. Still in looking stage but the CK-5 is at top of my list mainly because its 2.4 (2.5?) motor and 6 speed transmission has been around awhile and seems to be well regarded.

18 SLR Lemon/Gray
    Vanderhall Venice (traded for SLR Apr '18)
    '16.6 SLR LE (traded for Vanderhall Oct '17)
    '11 & '14 Can Am RT's
    60 Years of 2 Wheeling

• Ed, no direct experience but am also looking for similar size. In researching various brands, motors, transmissions, etc, i learned that after a Chinese Co. bought Volvo they began, in 2016, putting Chinese motors in their cars. I didn't research it further and have no idea how those motors have fared. Personally, am looking at Mazda CK-5, and Honda CRV. Have ruled out Toy Rav-4 as its 8 speed transmission is getting a lot of complaints. Not altogether enthused with idea of a 1.5 turbo in the Honda either. Still in looking stage but the CK-5 is at top of my list mainly because its 2.4 (2.5?) motor and 6 speed transmission has been around awhile and seems to be well regarded.

great info - thanks

I did not know that Volvo had been bought by the Chinese - soon as I told my wife she said that was all she needs to know - Volvo is off the table

Looking at the Audi Q3 as a possible option - also looking at reliability seems as if Toyota and Lexus are at the top - - -

• great info - thanks

I did not know that Volvo had been bought by the Chinese - soon as I told my wife she said that was all she needs to know - Volvo is off the table

Looking at the Audi Q3 as a possible option - also looking at reliability seems as if Toyota and Lexus are at the top - - -

I am a Ford person. Have owned the for years. No issues ever. But... my wife loves Toyota and they put out a great product! Toyota seems to back their product well. That's important. Lexus

, (a higher end Toyota) has some really sharp looking crossovers! I think many are made here and that's a plus! I do like the Lexus.

• I am a Ford person. Have owned the for years. No issues ever. But... my wife loves Toyota and they put out a great product! Toyota seems to back their product well. That's important. Lexus

, (a higher end Toyota) has some really sharp looking crossovers! I think many are made here and that's a plus! I do like the Lexus.

we were just looking - the wife likes the UX 200

• as a secondary question have any of you ever used the Costco car buying program?

I have heard very good things about it, but have never actually tried it

• I am a Ford person. Have owned the for years. No issues ever. But... my wife loves Toyota and they put out a great product! Toyota seems to back their product well. That's important. Lexus

Yea! Made here but where does the money go? Just ask my to sons they will tell you that when they see me buy something other than the USA old brands that they will know that (Chevy - Ford- Mopar) I have really lost it. That is right, no off shore brands. That is where the problems in the USA started with the American buying public buying out of market.

• Yea! Made here but where does the money go?

Agree, but at the same time I believe Dodge trucks are now made oversees? I believe some Ford cars are produced oversees? I look at the union stickers in the windshields for USA Made. I like to afford U.S. products the first consideration but not the end-all-do-all. My F-150 was made in the states. I love it and those balances are what made my choice.

Supply chain management and "just-in-time" procurement may come into consideration with this Corona virus? Down the road it may come to realize the U.S. is a consistent reliable producer of products. I hope so!

• all of the big auto manufactures are big multinational publicly traded corporations and the majority of the money they make goes to the shareholders - and even if a company is only based in the US its shareholders are from all over the world - as such there is no way of really knowing if a company keeps more money in any one country - having said this if a Toyota is made in Tennessee then it is helping the local economy by using local labor who spent their money locally - that is enough to give them an edge to my decision making over another car that is made in japan

• Agree, but at the same time I believe Dodge trucks are now made oversees? I believe some Ford cars are produced oversees? I look at the union stickers in the windshields for USA Made. I like to afford U.S. products the first consideration but not the end-all-do-all. My F-150 was made in the states. I love it and those balances are what made my choice.

Supply chain management and "just-in-time" procurement may come into consideration with this Corona virus? Down the road it may come to realize the U.S. is a consistent reliable producer of products. I hope so!

It is not like it was but the blame is on the USA buying public. Only they could have changed everything, which they did and not for the good of America and then they complain.

• You owe it to yourselves to look at the Mazda CX-5. The CX-5 is consistently rated at the top or near the top of the crossover heap. Mazda interiors are far above the competition at each price point. They compete well with the luxury brands. As a bonus, Mazda now offers a diesel and their 2.5L turbo in the CX-5. I have that engine in my Mazda6 and it is an all around great motor. My wife has an AWD CX-5 w/o the turbo and she gets 27mpg in everyday driving. Highway driving is better. Be sure to test drive one before you buy as the non-turbo isn't exactly a speed demon. If you need something bigger, then take a look at the CX-9. They also just came out with the CX-30, which is really sleek but is not as big as the CX-5. Whatever you do, don't let your wife see a red one or it will be all over. Mazda's "Soul Red Crystal Metallic" is straight from the Devil himself.

Send lawyers, guns and money!

• Hehe - we will look at the Mazda, but my wife doesn’t like red cars - here in the desert dark colors are not good with the heat - She wants white

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Info