Slingshot hood latch spring broke, is this a common problem?

• Got home from work and noticed the left rear hood latch(closer to the windshield) was not latched. I open the hood and the latch does look a little dry so I lube it. Still the same problem. So I try adjusting the latch, no difference. I then switch the latch with passenger rear latch. No difference. I finally after about an hour of fiddling with it notice that the front latch spring is broken. It was letting the front latch lay down and it was just enough difference to cause the rear latch not to lock. Is this a common problem? I now have two options. A: Buy latch for 55.00 and install it. B: Drive slingshot to the nearest dealer which is over 1 1/2 hours away and wait for them to fix it under warranty.

• Got home from work and noticed the left rear hood latch(closer to the windshield) was not latched. I open the hood and the latch does look a little dry so I lube it. Still the same problem. So I try adjusting the latch, no difference. I then switch the latch with passenger rear latch. No difference. I finally after about an hour of fiddling with it notice that the front latch spring is broken. It was letting the front latch lay down and it was just enough difference to cause the rear latch not to lock. Is this a common problem? I now have two options. A: Buy latch for 55.00 and install it. B: Drive slingshot to the nearest dealer which is over 1 1/2 hours away and wait for them to fix it under warranty.

Call them and talk to them and send them the picture. With a good dealer you just might be surprised what you and the dealer can work out.

• I had the same problem - I found that the lever to open the latch was sticking in the up position.

After I open the hood, I just push down and make sure that the lever located between the center headlights is pushed down.

Hood latches easily and firmly every time now.

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

Had mine replaced at 2000 miles under warranty. They replaced the cables also.

• [quote='neverenoughtime','https://slingshotinfo.com/index.php?thread/8854-slingshot-hood-latch-spring-broke-is-this-a-common-problem/&postID=296342#post296342']

If the spring is still there it can be popped back in place to work again. I had it happen once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah the spring is still there but the problem is, it is broke. It has to have a 90 degree hook on both ends to hold it onto the latch itself.

[/quote]

Oh that sux. Can you get a new spring ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• My dealer is 2+ hours away and to me it's worth the drive to get an oil change.

Nielsen's Ent, Lake Villa, IL --- They take very good care of me and my Slingshot.

Catch things that should be covered under warrantee and get it done before I'm left stranded out in the cold/hot. They have done 98.5% of the wrenching on mine and they know it.

• My dealer is 2+ hours away and to me it's worth the drive to get an oil change.

Nielsen's Ent, Lake Villa, IL --- They take very good care of me and my Slingshot.

Catch things that should be covered under warrantee and get it done before I'm left stranded out in the cold/hot. They have done 98.5% of the wrenching on mine and they know it.

The wife did the other 1.5 ?