2020 Slingshot driving impressions with tons of details to look for.

• Pretty fun weekend, I was over in Alabama visiting with rabtech and we stopped at a gas station and what happens to be there, 2 - 2020 Polaris Slingshots being driven around for some testing. We talked with the guys driving them for awhile and were able to look all around the new Slingshots and see some more that I didn't notice out at the reveal in Las Vegas. After talking for a little bit, they asked if we would like to go out for a drive in them and me and rabtech were happy to go!

It was pretty cool, since one of the 2020's had a manual transmission and the other had the Autodrive transmission we were able to experience both versions back to back. I went in the manual transmission version first and rabtech went in the Autodrive. That new Prostar engine is very smooth! We did some pulls from 2k RPM to redline in 2nd gear and the torque delivery is very linear all the way to redline. I thought that the engine might feel a little peaky with the high redline, but even at 2K RPM, it pulled nicely and just kept going all the way up. It is a little strange and will take some getting used to for drivers to keep the pedal down and run the engine all the way out possibly, as at 7k RPM's you just naturally want to shift, but the engine just kept going. The new drivetrain is pretty awesome and really looking forward to seeing what it will do. Although the drivetrain was the biggest focus for me, this was also the longest I have ever sat in the passenger seat of a Slingshot and I was able to test out the new vent in the passenger side footwell area, it definitely works. The air coming out of that vent was basically the same temperature as outside and the air flow was pretty good out of it, that should make a lot of passengers a lot more comfortable. The seats in the one I was in was also very comfortable for me. The more time I spent in the new 2020, the more impressed I was with the new interior in every way, it just feels so much more finished than the 1st gen, the phone holder, the switches, controls, etc, everything just feels better.

After a little bit of driving, me and rabtech switched and I got into the autodrive Slingshot. I think they are going to sell a ton of these, it just drives really well. As has been reported earlier, it is not a automatic transmission, but instead a automatically shifted manual using the Magneti Marelli system to shift gears and run the clutch. I was able to get a short ride in one of these in Vegas, but this ride was much longer and more real world. The autodrive setup and calibration they are using works really well, it feels just like someone is driving a manual when you are sitting in the passenger seat. The more we drove, it was pretty obvious this is not going to be the best option for someone that wants all out performance/track duty, as there is no way to control the shifting, but for most people that just want to get into the Slingshot and cruise and have a great time, the autodrive is going to be perfect. This should open up a whole new market for the Slingshot, also wondering if we can add paddle shifters and change the calibration to make it more sporty, that would almost make me choose the Autodrive now that I have been in one, it is that good.

I don't know how long we were out driving, but when we got back, we thanked the guys for giving us a ride and walked away impressed with the new 2020's. I would personally go for the 203HP and manual transmission for all out performance, but the SL with the Autodrive is a really nice driver also and I would not be surprised if that was their volume seller. They definitely seem to be pretty quick for stock Slingshots, now to see what they will do with forced induction on them :evil:

• Ditto what he said...

While Dave was looking at the engine and transmissions I was all over both of them looking for smaller things that I thought the regular buyer would like. What I found was a massive amount of change. And all for the better. I am using the word massive because it's the best adjective to use when so many things are different. Truth be told.... there are more things different than that are the same. It's actually closer to a complete redesign.

Some things that you need to look for....

Hood release cables now have a 90degree steel tube toward the end where it turns the curve into the latch below the windshield ….

Hood release cable ends now have a plastic locking tab that hold the ends tight in the latch.

The radiator NOW HAS A DRAIN...….. No more shop floors turning green with the blood of the slingshot....

Passenger side is heat free and the drivers side won't burn your kneecap off. ...….. It is so well insulated that I had to open the vent that provides the passenger air so I could get some warm air...

WAIT..... What vent! You heard it right....there is a vent that opens in the firewall that the passenger can get air thru. right below the glovebox

The venting of the radiator is done via 2 fans...… AND a tunneling air dam that has a bypass that lets air from the highway open a flap. It is all pointed down toward the road and the cooling fans are mounted at a an angle.

The antenna for the standard radio now has a booster/amplifier for better signal reception.

The steering rack is a lot quicker. It felt like it was lock to lock in 2 revolutions. I believe I made out the letter KYB so you know it is a good unit. Also the tie rods are much larger on this steering rack

The radiator burp bottle is mounted in a neat little rubber holder that helps keep heat out of the cockpit.

The final drive is massive.. It has to be 1.5 time larger then the original. And from what I could see it is a work of art...… It has gold grade 8.8 bolts holding it together.

I will touch quickly on the console, cupholders, and phone caddy. Most have seen this on the promotional videos. But it is a nice twist....

All have keyless start and the keyfob is a healthy feeling chunk of metal.

Another huge bonus is the main fuse block that is mounted up front. (Along with the battery now...) The main block is a heavy duty feeling part. It is not like the three gang fuse holder at the back... It is like an aftermarket part that we would normally buy to replace the crappy one.

I could keep going on and on but I'm kind of getting depressed about mine now. I feel like I need to go pick up an antique tag to replace my existing tag.

As I remember other goodies that have been changed I will edit this post.... This is just what I could quickly remember..... More to come soon.

Something else Dave mentioned was the comfort of the seats... They are actually so well padded that I almost (because I am super fat) could not reach the seat belt latch. The seats are like a marsh mellow you left on the counter overnight.. Just a little firm and still hold its shape well.

• rabtech

Changed the title of the thread from “2020 Slingshot Driving Impressions” to “2020 Slingshot driving impressions with tons of details to look for.”.
  • Is the Magneti Marelli controlled by vacuum or is it electronic? Do you think it would respond well to a Pedel Commander? I'm guessing these should have semi-manual controls already on the market. How soon will you be offering the upgrade? :S

• Is the Magneti Marelli controlled by vacuum or is it electronic? Do you think it would respond well to a Pedel Commander? I'm guessing these should have semi-manual controls already on the market. How soon will you be offering the upgrade? :S

it is electric solenoids over hydraulic from what I could see. It literally moves the innards of the shifter portion of the transmission. It appears that it is trained to make the same motions that your hand makes when moving the shifter. I feel sure that there will be some enhanced programming to the shifting ECU that can be done. It is completely separate from the engine ECU. The automatic uses throttle position to know when to start letting the clutch out. As you mash the gas there is a specific point that you can hear the clutch releasing. It is freaking smooth..... When its downshifting and upshifting you can hear the exhaust let out a rumble. For lack of a better definition it almost sounds to me that it is stuttering the ignition when it shifts.

One thing that you will notice is that on a hill in the automatic you will have to hold the brake... It will roll back. You cant forget that it is just a manual with the clutch pushed in....

• Well I'm sitting here bored in Maine looking at the snow. I've been thinking about supercharging my 2015 but that's a lotta HP that I really don't need . The Miami Blue 2020 really looks good to me . Need to drive one. Will the extra 30hp make passing that much better?

• Dave, we talked about this in Vegas, did or is their more leg room on either side?

Jamesgn

• Dave, we talked about this in Vegas, did or is their more leg room on either side?

Jamesgn

I do not have a lot of time in the passenger seat of any Slingshots, but the space on the new one seemed to be the same. I know we kept hearing that there was extra leg room, but I didn't really notice it on the drive we were on. I didn't have a tape measure with me either ;)

• I was in Vegas for the product launch and concur with Dave's and rabtech's assessments. Cockpit is MUCH more polished. It does feel larger by what I have read is 2 inches. Switchgear, steering wheel, seats etc. all feel more like an Audi than, say, a Ranger. Just a beautiful machine.

• How about the extra 30 horsepower in the R? Is that really going to make a difference in passing compared to a 2015 SL?

It is not just about the power difference the gearing is much shorterter than the 1st gen also, so it has a higher multiplier of the power. It is not like a supercharged or turbo 1st gen, but the ones we were in felt pretty quick for stock. I am really interested to see what an exhaust and tune will do on the new ones and what kind of power they can make naturally aspirated.

• well I went to my desktop instead of my phone and really checked out the Miami Blue are. Don't like how they painted the rails next to the passenger and driver side blue. I know it's a small thing but I want a perfect if I'm going to buy a new one. I don't like the blue rails. Or the black are with the red r with the red rails

• well I went to my desktop instead of my phone and really checked out the Miami Blue are. Don't like how they painted the rails next to the passenger and driver side blue. I know it's a small thing but I want a perfect if I'm going to buy a new one. I don't like the blue rails. Or the black are with the red r with the red rails

Have you looked at the steel blue ones? I have seen both blues now in person and like the steel blue better than the Miami blue, all of the SL's come with the side tubes black also. That is what we have on order is a steel blue SL :)

• having a standard manual transmission for me is more fun and it also quickly shuts down many of the would be requests for me to let someone else drive it - - - If I were in the market for a new Slingshot (which I am not) the only reason why I would even consider the auto would be so that my wife could drive it - considering the fact that she wouldn't want to anyway there is no other reason to consider it.

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I'm really liking the red "R". I see myself getting one towards the end of the year. Perhaps I'll get a closer look at the candy during Maggie Valley. Hope my wife understands :)