What mounting tape for hood accent panels?

• I don't have auto body experience but for the diamond plate aluminum rear protection plates that I've been making and selling, I go to the local auto parts store (Auto Zone) and get the heaviest duty 3M tape that is 7/8" wide for about $17/roll. The selections at the department stores, amazon or home depot are too confusing.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• I'll have to second that. I swapped mine a few years ago and didn't replace the tape. Also didn't go out of my way to remove the old tape. The hood is apart again right now for airbrushing and there were no issues when I removed them this time around, other than being alot easier to remove without the tape. When I put them back on this time I'll still leave the tape off.

• Several years ago (2016, IIRC) I stripped all of the body panels from my Slingshot to have them painted, I let the painter do whatever prep he wanted, but did remove all of the tape from the hood panels and from the bottom of the accent panels before I turned them over to the painter. The accent panels have been on the slingshot for 3+ years now w/o any tape.

• I actually put the heavy duty velcro pieces under mine in a few spots. I did not do this at first. But after removing them a few times I broke a few of the plastic studs that you screw into. This caused them to raise up just a little out of their grooves. So after adding the heavy duty velcro they lay flat and hold perfect.

• I actually put the heavy duty velcro pieces under mine in a few spots. I did not do this at first. But after removing them a few times I broke a few of the plastic studs that you screw into. This caused them to raise up just a little out of their grooves. So after adding the heavy duty velcro they lay flat and hold perfect.

If I need to add some reinforcement, industrial Velcro tape sounds like the way to go. Holds, yet allows disassembly. For anybody new to reattaching the Slingshot plastics like the dash trim and the hood accent pieces using the double-threaded screws, remember to not over-tighten the double-threaded screws as tightening just a little past where you first feel the screw setting tight will result in stripping the hole.

Anyone come across slightly larger diameter double-threaded screws? Based on a Google search, it looks like these screws are known as Hi-Lo fasteners and are designed for extra holding power in low strength materials like plastic, so it hopefully shouldn't be too hard to find a slightly larger Hi-Lo screw for use if you strip a hole.

• I have no idea how some of you were able to take these off and put them back on. Mine from the factory had 6 broke off plastic studs on the left and 7 broke off on the right(There are only 13 total per side including the one in the front). Had to apply some pressure with a screwdriver to get the screws completely out as they were just spinning because they were broken. Also on the front what kind of tricks did you all use to get the 3 tabs out? I kind of rolled mine out and it seemed to work alright. Think I am going to use the velcro on the new pieces like Rab did. Thinking this might work.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/VE…Back-Tape-90086/202261917

• I have no idea how some of you were able to take these off and put them back on. Mine from the factory had 6 broke off plastic studs on the left and 7 broke off on the right(There are only 13 total per side including the one in the front). Had to apply some pressure with a screwdriver to get the screws completely out as they were just spinning because they were broken. Also on the front what kind of tricks did you all use to get the 3 tabs out? I kind of rolled mine out and it seemed to work alright. Think I am going to use the velcro on the new pieces like Rab did. Thinking this might work.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/VE…Back-Tape-90086/202261917

Now you see why the tape was important, I think the screws are just there for looks.