Beaches of Italy to forests of Germany

• Prior to moving to Italy I sold my 2015 and got back in 2 wheels victory vegas 8ball low (research Amalfi coast and you'd understand)

Now here I am in the middle of building and preordering a new 2020 R. Emission free is the staple for the slingshot. As I know in 2017 European emissions went from EURO2 to EURO4. 2017 and below are allowed is what I am gathering. Reading the registration laws and codes are quite confusing.

Any Europeans in the group want to chime in on their experiences owning one in Germany? I would love to have a sexy 20 here in Europe.

• Hi!

I have no experience with german slings but i'm sure there will be some out there.

There are at least 5 of them in Belgium that I know off.

The slingshot isn't available anymore in europe because of the new "pollution" rules. Maybe also because of the lack of interest and therefore the bad selling numbers. Sometimes you can find a 2016 on the internet.

Haven't heard of a later model being sold around here.

You can try on importing it yourself in Germany and going through the whole TUV administration over there. Have no idea what it would cost.

A couple of years ago I know it costed about 2500 euro to get a mustang on the road in Germany. Once it has the european papers you can register it anywhere in europe. And off course pay again wherever you register it. The mustang costed me another 4500 euro to get my Belgian papers. Sling costed me 2100 euro to get my license plate :(

Germany had the best and cheapest system in those days. Probably still has but as I said not sure about what is possible these days with all those new green laws.

When I was looking for my slingshot my intention also was to get one from the states and had the papers done in Germany. I had one guy who said it wouldn't be a problem and 3 who told me that it would be a 50/50 chance to get it done. Wouldn't take the risk to buy one over there, pay 2000 euro to have it shipped, add another 10% inporttax and 21% TVA and then ending up with in our garage being unable to have it registred. Waited a couple more months since I heard it was coming to europe anyway with homologation and european papers.

If you plan on doing it please keep us informed.

• Thanks all.

Just finished speaking to the International office of Polaris and confirmed with EU tags and regs here earlier today.

It was as I thought. No new slingshots will be sold in Europe. I guess I can read, reading comprehension hooray but dammit. So the slingshot will remain with its emission freedom mentality but has lost the european market and upcoming Asian as well as we move to a greener environment. I'm pretty sure they will at some point modify and have euro models... truly at some point. Europe loves exotic things and this is as exotic as it comes, autocycles. 2020s will not meet the new regs of EURO5 that was pushed out 1JAN2020. The implementation of EURO4 from EURO2 made the 2017 the last model that was authorized to be sold w/o issue in Europe. So I guess I am on the market of purchasing a 2017🤣 but until then I will stay on 2 wheels and cruise the autobahn and switchbacks.

Ciao ciao!

• This is going to be miserable, but here goes.

I can let you all know, that Polaris have confirmed to a French friend, that they will not import the 2020 model, into Europe. They have not specified the reason, but I suspect that even with the new engine, it does not reach the required emission regs. This will also effect exports to other areas, (including Japan, Austrailia, many parts of Africa, Russia and possibly even India). Unfortunately this shows Polaris to be out of step, with the rest of the world, but we can't change that, if the US won't come in line with most of the modern world.

New gas & diesel cars will start to be banned, in some European countries, starting, in just 15 or so years. (Britain first 2035). Times are changing quickly. We need an electric version, full of batteries or hydrogen bottles.

I'm glad to have got my 16.5 before they got banned in Europe, with the old German designed Ecotec engine, that went into our old European GM sports cars (& some Lotus').

Sad but true, life is changing, for us all now. It looks like Polaris may have built the new model, with an engine that is already, out of date. (Unless Polaris are able to correct me - I sure hope I'm wrong).

All the best, from UK_Paul

Edited once, last by UK_Paul ().

• I won't be much help here but I did low level flight over the autobahn in Germany by helicopter when I was over there. Probably the coolest thing I ever did. As far as Polaris goes I think they are lost in the woods with their U.S. products (many Polaris dealers can't sell them due to the company's restrictions) . Best of luck.

• Something I missed.

In my previous comment i mentioned about emission regs in Europe.

One thing to remember is that "after" the EURO4 regs were introduced, in 2017, this then excluded the import of vheicals, both new and old, that did not meet the regulations. So if the Slingshot was not already in Europe an old one (pre EURO4) could not be imported and get arround the emission rules.

Therfore if it's not a model that's already here then they won't let it in. (Unless Polaris homoginalise the 2020 models).

• UK_Paul

The french group, expensive as it should be as an import also as a rarity.

Thank you for all of the information. I contacted Polaris directly and they have stated they are not planning to convert at this time... I was floored due to the world is shifting to this standard but I guess you market to your homebase of emission free life.

Hmm. I will check to see if there is a waiver program for temporary residence operating under the NATO Military/Diplomatic umbrella imports to the EU. I brought my victory over in 2018 and nothing is like hitting the Amalfi coast on 2 wheels. it's a 2010 and was able to register it here in Italy. I hope the waiver holds true. The kicker I think is 3wheel slings vs 2 wheels with the classification portion fitting emissions. I am unsure. The autocycle differs in the us from state to state. What is yours registered as motorcycle or car?

Nonetheless Fingers crossed I am allowed to and if so 2016.5 slings, I'll be in the market for.

• As far as I know there are no states in the USA that the SlingShot is registered as a car. All states started out as a motorcycle but slowly the states are changing over to the Auto Cycle label

• As far as I know there are no states in the USA that the SlingShot is registered as a car. All states started out as a motorcycle but slowly the states are changing over to the Auto Cycle label

In Indiana --- call them an auto cycle but the title, registration, and plates say motorcycle. Auto cycle says you don't need the MC endorsement on your license

to drive the Slingshot.

• Throughout Europe, the Slingshot is recognised as a motorcycle.

Additionally, I assume that the Victory had a Freedom Engine, in it. That would have been fine, to ride, as a 2010 model, however (before the engine was discontinued,) it also became illegal to import, because of emission regulations. (I have a Vegas 09).

Technically the Victory, is very similar in Europe to the US except for a slightly different mapping, on the ECU.

I guess, having ridden the Vic' in Italy, you will know what fun it can be dealing with Italian drivers. :00000004: I've ridden my one across Europe and into Italy, a few times.

Unfortunately, with the Slingshot, it's the 16.5 version and older models, or nothing at all.

Edited once, last by UK_Paul ().