Question about Polaris covers

• I have some comments and a question about the new Polaris Slingshot covers.

Neither the new Slingshot Slingshade All-Weather Cover (https://slingshot.polaris.com/…unctional/covers/2884670/) nor the Slingshot All-Weather Cover (https://slingshot.polaris.com/…unctional/covers/2883563/) are currently available. The Polaris website lists both as available in Feb 2020 and allows folks to sign up for email notification when available. It currently looks like Polaris is using the same picture (the non-Slingshade version) for both listings.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the Slingshot All-Weather Cover description -Slingshot All-Weather Cover - Black

Slingshot All-Weather Cover - Black

Item # 2883563

$464.99 USD

Coming February 2020
    This product is in production and will be available for purchase soon.
    Visit a Polaris dealership to learn more about our accessories, parts, apparel and service options.

Features

• One Slingshot All Weather Full Cover
    • Fully protects your Slingshot wherever your ride takes you
    • Protects Slingshot in the garage from dust and any small impacts
    • When trailering, protects Slingshot from sun and the elements
    • During storage, provides full coverage and reliable surface protection
    • Features soft liner that won’t damage any surface finishes

Description

The Slingshot Full Cover protects your vehicle wherever your ride takes you. In the garage it stays protected from dust and any small bumps, and if you need to trailer it to another spot, it's safe from sun and weather. Features a soft liner that won’t damage the finish. (Emphasis added)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Slingshade All-Weather Cover uses the same general descriptions, but never specifically mentions use when trailering. - Slingshot Slingshade All-Weather Cover - BlackSlingshot Slingshade All-Weather Cover - Black

Item # 2884670

$474.99 USD

Coming February 2020
    This product is in production and will be available for purchase soon.

Visit a Polaris dealership to learn more about our accessories, parts, apparel and service options.

Features

• One Slingshade All Weather Cover
    • Durable, water-resistant, all-weather cover is custom-fit for Slingshot with Slingshade installed
    • Keeps your Slingshot clean and protects it from the elements
    • Ensures your Slingshot is clean and dry for your next ride
    • Polyester cover is engineered for outdoor storage
    • Features soft liner that won’t damage any of the vehicle’s finishes
    • Slingshot makes no claims that this cover will protect your vehicle in event of a severe weather event

Description

Protect your Slingshot with this durable, water-resistant, all-weather cover that is custom-fit for a Slingshot with a Slingshade installed. This cover protects your Slingshot from the elements, ensuring that it’s clean and dry for your next ride. This polyester cover is engineered for outdoor storage and it features a soft liner that won’t damage the vehicle’s finish. Slingshot makes no claims that this cover will protect your vehicle in the event of a severe weather event.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Given the relatively close pricing and overall description, it doesn't really make sense to me that Polaris would manufacture a trailering cover that does NOT fit the Slingshade, but not offer the same trailering feature for the Slingshade-equipped Slingshot.

Both new covers seem to have new part numbers compared to the original trailering cover (2880658), based on photos I found of the original trailering cover on EBay.

IF the Slingshade All-Weather cover is also suitable for trailering, I was thinking about buying one to see if it also fits my TD Gen 2 Top, but I'd like more info before risking the expense.

Anybody have any additional info that might help me decide?

• When mniron trailered my new Sling 1,850 miles to me I asked him if I should send him my cover to use on the way out. His recommendation. which I agreed with, is that use of the cover when trailering risks getting paint rubs on the body. He does have a rock guard on the front of his trailer for protection. So far I've only used mine when I'm travelling for covering up at night in hotel parking lots although I will also use it in my garage during winter when (if) I'm done working on it. If I start trailering it, I would likely find a used enclosed trailer. It seems like I saw a recent post about covers causing paint rubs. Anybody?

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• I have the Polaris trailering cover...used 5 trips to Florida, one Texas, one New York. I have a oversized windshield and extended mirrors. The only paint damage rub would be on the roll bars. and a lot of that is just wind damage 72,000 miles. For my use the original trailering cover works well on the original Slingshot ….

• I learned an expensive cover lesson with my last new two wheeler..

I bought an expensive lined vented cover which I thought would offer really good winter protection for the bike I was keeping under my porch.

when spring came when I uncovered the bike I was sick when the first thing I saw was all the moisture trapped under the cover. Second was the amount of surface rust on all the chrome.

I think I’ve figured out my biggest mistake.....the cover went all the way to the ground. This prevented air from circulating up under the cover to evaporate the moisture.

with my slingshot sitting in the driveway covered with a cover and topped with snow right now I make sure my cover is pulled up off the ground to let air circulate under the SS.....

I notice all the pictures of these polaris covers is they go all the way to the ground....so air will not be able to circulate up under the cover.......

so consider air flow under the slingshot to evaporate any moisture which could lay on the metal painted parts (think frame) and cause rust....

also anything that touches the paint in a flowing wind situation like towing has the potential to rub on something.....

• I've used a trailer cover for over 30,000 miles on the trailer plus at times when it is parked. Yes, there is some evidence of rubbing on the roll bars. The trailer cover does not go all the way to the ground - some marketing person didn't do their job very well with those photos. :)

• Thanks for the useful responses. I'm aware of the concerns about rubbing paint. From what I've read on conventional car trailering forums, the use of a cover is generally frowned upon when trailering, primarily due to wear on paint from sections of the cover which are not firmly secured. The only covers I've found rated for trailering are for conventional two wheel motorcycles from http://www.empirecovers.com. I've never found anyone on any of the classic car forums that recommended using a cover of any kind when towing a vehicle, yet I have read of several Slingshot owners using the Polaris Slingshot trailering cover and being happy/satisfied with it.

I have a tow dolly from AllThingsSlingshot and since I will be towing the Slingshot backwards, I was concerned about wind impacting the canvas top from underneath and also about the wind's impact on my new NASCAR style Tallboy +2 windshield from AllThingsSlingshot.

I've read horror stories where folks have towed jeeps and had the canvas top get destroyed from wind and I fear the Tallboy +2 windshield's large size would also present a serious obstacle when towing backwards. I know I can remove the canvas top and even the windshield, if necessary, but I'd rather not if I can avoid it since packing the windshield inside my Ford Edge tow vehicle would be a PITA. I've been waiting for Polaris to release a trailering cover that would fit on Slingshade-equipped Slingshots, hoping that the cover would be tall enough to fit on my TD Top, but my main concern is the lack of specific wording on the Slingshade cover website regarding using the cover when trailering.

I just received a Groupon offer for a 4-Layer Water-Resistant Exterior Car Cover w/fleece lining, but they're sold out of the closest size that might fit the Slingshot (168"). I've even considered this fleece-lined car cover (168" size) from Amazon, but I think it would need additional tie-down grommets - https://www.amazon.com/LayerPl…ing-Oxgord/dp/B00E4UT41S/.

• I know that you got the dolly from kev --- what does he have to say. I know that he has dollied his Slingshot all over and I think has covered it.

• I haven't actually asked him about how he does it. I bought the tow dolly almost 2 years ago and just haven't had a chance to use it, plus I'm getting some confusing info from the Texas DMV about registering it. I've found a section of Texas Law that says two wheel tow dollies do not need to be registered/tagged, yet the DMV responded to a query I sent them saying all trailers must be registered and I just haven't taken the time to go talk to them in person.

• I haven't actually asked him about how he does it. I bought the tow dolly almost 2 years ago and just haven't had a chance to use it, plus I'm getting some confusing info from the Texas DMV about registering it. I've found a section of Texas Law that says two wheel tow dollies do not need to be registered/tagged, yet the DMV responded to a query I sent them saying all trailers must be registered and I just haven't taken the time to go talk to them in person.

I would think that it would be the same as the standard car dolly....but than neither Indiana or Texas knew what a Slingshot was for months....

• Don Grayson from Indy developed the dolly that Kev has been building. If my mind is working right, Don uses the cockpit (half cover) cover when towing the Slingshot. He got tired of towing from Indy to Florida so he just bought one to keep in Florida and keeps his decked out one in Indy.

• Hi BKL there's a lot of confusion about registering dollies when they are mistaken for trailers, they are not, they are towing devices, no different then the little set of dolly wheels all tow trucks carry to slide under a car that wont roll on its own wheels , front or back . Unless the DMV sent you information that said all tow dollies must be registered , their info does not apply to you if it only says, all trailers must be registered.

• Hi BKL there's a lot of confusion about registering dollies when they are mistaken for trailers, they are not, they are towing devices, no different then the little set of dolly wheels all tow trucks carry to slide under a car that wont roll on its own wheels , front or back . Unless the DMV sent you information that said all tow dollies must be registered , their info does not apply to you if it only says, all trailers must be registered.

kev do you cover your Slingshot when towing with the dolly?

• It would sure be cute following him on the highway and have the the wife or anyone sitting next to you sleeping. You get up close to the slingshot, hit your brakes and yell out "HOLD ON" and see their face!! I'm sure they'll never want to fall asleep on any future trips once you pull this on them

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

Edited once, last by Funinthesun ().

• Update - Just checked the Polaris website and they're currently out of stock on the trailering-approved Slingshot Cover (https://slingshot.polaris.com/…/new-accessories/2883563/) until sometime in October 2020. Unfortunately, the Slingshade Cover described above is no longer listed on the Polaris website, so I still don't know if the Slingshade Cover will be approved for trailering.

I bought a Slingshot cover from Car Covers (https://www.carcovers.com/cove…laris/slingshot/2015.html), but I haven't had the time to put the cover on the Slingshot to see if it's just an appropriately-sized car cover or if it's a custom cover for the Slingshot. I bought the Platinum Shield Trike Motorcycle Cover For 2015 Polaris Slingshot (Lifetime warranty, heavier material than their Deluxe cover). With shipping and the discount code I used, the total cost was around $150. I had also bought a cloth dust cleaner w/handle for around $6-7 on sale and they threw in a cable and lock along with some microfiber towels). The bag actually looks to be about 3+ times the size of the folded cover, which is probably good since most car/motorcycle covers I've used never seem to fit back in the carry bag they came in.

Here's a picture of the storage bag material and the cover appears to be made from the same material. Car Covers claims the Platinum covers are stronger than 5L (I assume they mean 5 layers) and the material seems relatively strong, but I'm concerned a cat's claws might put holes in the cover, Our outdoor kitten likes to sleep on top of my Slingshot, even when it's on top of the Riser/Wheel Blocks I made, which places her around 6.5 ft above the ground. We think she gfets on my Wife's Altima's hood and then jumps over to the Slingshot hood and then jumps/climbs onto the TD roof.:/

I'll post pics once I get the Car Cover on the Slingshot.

Edited 2 times, last by BKL ().