A few Off Road Questions

• I know we have a bunch of off road enthusiasts here. Rather than search other forums I figured I would stick with the people I trust the most. We have a cabin at the very top of a mountain in western NC. Unfortunately this is not Slingshot Country so my wife -yes my wife not me decided we needed something to take advantage of the trails and mountain roads. I bought a used a 2019 Honda Talon and as you can imagine I am already in mod mode.

My question is what are you guys using for an OFF Road GPS? I have a Zumo595 on my sling and was going to just add a mount to the talon and use it but I can't figure out if it will do what I need. Any help would be appreciated. Go easy on the tech stuff remember I still use a flip phone.

Thanks

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• I use a Garmin Oregon topo GPS with a 24k map of the USA for my hunting and quadding GPS. The downside of this unit is the screen size which apparently gets a little bit smaller each year. It is really designed to be a handheld but I have a clip for it on my fender and can plug it into my power-port.. I believe some of the newer models have a larger screen. The topo map includes many roads and what I would consider trails and is quite functional on figuring out where you are. My usage is not typically real-time (driving around watching the screen) since I will either know, or study an area before I go in, and use the gps mainly to 'reorient' myself when riding. One thing I like about the Garmin is the menu driven touch-screen operation that eliminates buttons except for the on/off.

I kicked ass with this gps on a geocache quad rally in Revelstoke, BC where you had to ride out and find plaques in the woods with only the lat/long points to guide you. I sat in camp each night and found each point on the gps then followed the closest road or trail back to the mainline marking each turn with an X (left) or O (right) so I could quickly follow my 'trail' the next day.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• I use a Garmin Oregon topo GPS with a 24k map of the USA for my hunting and quadding GPS. The downside of this unit is the screen size which apparently gets a little bit smaller each year. It is really designed to be a handheld but I have a clip for it on my fender and can plug it into my power-port.. I believe some of the newer models have a larger screen. The topo map includes many roads and what I would consider trails and is quite functional on figuring out where you are. My usage is not typically real-time (driving around watching the screen) since I will either know, or study an area before I go in, and use the gps mainly to 'reorient' myself when riding. One thing I like about the Garmin is the menu driven touch-screen operation that eliminates buttons except for the on/off.

I kicked ass with this gps on a geocache quad rally in Revelstoke, BC where you had to ride out and find plaques in the woods with only the lat/long points to guide you. I sat in camp each night and found each point on the gps then followed the closest road or trail back to the mainline marking each turn with an X (left) or O (right) so I could quickly follow my 'trail' the next day.

Thanks - I have one of the small hand held Garmin - G tech I think. never thought of using it at least for starters. But you are correct the screen has become smaller. I really need to go take a class somewhere to learn a bit more about navigation. I am good with a map and roads but am forever lost in the forest.

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• Congrats on your new purchase Mitch. Too bad it's taken you 5 years to finally get you into the FASTER red version. Just wondering how long before you treat the "lone wolf" to its new RED paint scheme

Sorry Phil the Talon goes in for paint after I pick it up...The wolf stays fast grey and gets a bit faster tomorow!

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!