Anti Theft?

• I use Master lock Street Cuffs to lock the steering wheel to the frame - they are available on Amazon for about $33 - Street Cuffs

I do something very similar but, just a different product.

My concern with the street cuffs was that the steering wheel can be cut in one place quickly.

This lock can loop through the steering wheel, requiring at least 3 cuts of the steering wheel.

If someone is skilled and determined, neither will stop them. A battery angle grinder will cut through either in short order.

Still looking at options to interrupt the starter button and require a proximity key or perhaps a keypad code.

61w77aimjuL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

• I have gps tracker hidden on mine. My insurance gave a pretty good discount for having it. To help keep kids from putting it in neutral and releasing the brake I have one of these (found on ebay).

Any modifications needed for the brake/shifter lock?

I thought I recall past posts that they needed modification to fit over the stock e-brake on the Slingshot.

Thanks

• FYI. Since the end of November 2014 when the first slingshots were delivered, I have only heard of one slingshot being stolen. That was due to the owner leaving the keys in the ignition. I'm sure there must have beem more than that one since not every owner is on the forum, but percentage wise, I don't think they are any more prone to be stolen that any other motorcycle. In fact, they are probably stolen less than the average Harley

Agreed, the SlingShot is so rare, and thus so obvious, it is way too easy to spot if one does happen to get away with one. Besides, it already comes with one of the best anti-theft devices out there, the manual transmission, well, before the 2020 at least. We just slip the cockpit cover on and we have yet to have anybody molest our SlingShot.

Oh, on a similar note, where it has also been our experience where anti-theft devices appear to just offer a challenge to would be thieves thus becoming a dare to try to steal it. A recent example where a couple of months ago we spent the night out of town and just happened to park next to an identical 2019 Honda Ridgeline as our own. The next morning the other Ridgeline's wheels and tires were gone, ours were untouched, the other Ridgeline had wheel locks, ours does not!

Bill

• I think the cuffs for now and add a wheel lock for when we start staying overnight away from home.

When on the road, I take my Polaris full cover for overnight in hotel parking lots. Out of sight, out of mind. It's a little bulky but rides nicely on the luggage racks I make and sell.

If you stay in a room where you park right outside the door with the Digital Guard Dawg, you have to make sure the fob is far enough away from the vehicle not to activate the ignition. I jumped in mine one day with the fob hanging in the house just inside the garage door, started it up and drove 20 miles from home and shut if off. When I got back to the rig I was stranded and had to call my wife for rescue (because I couldn't get the manual override to work).

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Any modifications needed for the brake/shifter lock?

I thought I recall past posts that they needed modification to fit over the stock e-brake on the Slingshot.

Thanks

I have an aftermarket brake lever, but others have rounded the bottom of the stock handle so the lock can slide over it.

• if you’re protecting from the neighborhood junkie there are alarm systems, removable steering wheels, steering wheel locks, giant chains through the front wheel and the suspension...

Professionals are bringing a tow truck and driving away to a chop shop and some collateral damage doesn’t matter to them.

depending on where I’m parking I have an alarm system, steering wheel club and a giant chain through the wheel and suspension....

• I have an aftermarket brake lever, but others have rounded the bottom of the stock handle so the lock can slide over it.

Thanks for the info.

I am assuming you have the NRG setup available from Slingmods?

That my be my next mod just so I can use one of these.

It always concerns me when I park on an incline that anyone could reach in and put in neutral / released brake.

• My selling dealer is about 110 miles from my house. Sometimes, I'd drive up the night before and stay at a hotel that shares a parking lot with a nightclub/bar. I found using my Budge #2 cover to hide the Slingshot kept most folks away from i. I assume that if they can't easily see it, folks will leave it alone.

• My selling dealer is about 110 miles from my house. Sometimes, I'd drive up the night before and stay at a hotel that shares a parking lot with a nightclub/bar. I found using my Budge #2 cover to hide the Slingshot kept most folks away ......

Good call .....

.... wacky-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• So far the only time I had to park my Slingshot over night was at last years California slingshot event in Fallbrook - - with all of the other slingshots that were way more modded than mine I figured mine was pretty safe

like the old saying goes - you dont have to run faster than the bear, you only have to run faster than the others who are with you - - same with parking the sling - dont have to make your sling theft proof just park next to ones that are more describable :)

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• do you have a name and link for that lock?

just found it on amazon......

https://www.amazon.com/Univers…ock&qid=1580439032&sr=8-1

cant they simply remove the shift knob to get the lock off?

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• cant they simply remove the shift knob to get the lock off?

They would need a hex wrench for the stock knob.

do you have a name and link for that lock?

just found it on amazon......

https://www.amazon.com/Univers…ock&qid=1580439032&sr=8-1

That one is unavailable. Here's several on ebay https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.htm…r+Handbrake+Lock&_sacat=0

• cant they simply remove the shift knob to get the lock off?

sure and they can cut the steering wheel to get the cuffs and clubs off.....or just drag it onto a tilt bed.....

They would need a hex wrench for the stock knob.

That one is unavailable. Here's several on ebay https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.htm…r+Handbrake+Lock&_sacat=0

I just ordered it and they sent an email saying it shipped already....

anti-theft devices just slow down the crooks.....and keep others honest....

I never park it anywhere for too long....except my driveway....

• I'm sorry if I'm in the wrong section for this but my Wife and I are as of right now picking up our Slingshot on Friday. I was wondering about theft deterrents. The dealer said something about removing the steering wheel with a quick detach wheel. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Along with where to find the items.

Thanks, Don

congratulations on your new Slingshot! Welcome!!

perhaps another consideration is a hidden toggle Killswitch..... and a good insurance policy😎

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎