Anti Theft?

• I'm sorry if I'm in the wrong section for this but my Wife and I are as of right now picking up our Slingshot on Friday. I was wondering about theft deterrents. The dealer said something about removing the steering wheel with a quick detach wheel. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Along with where to find the items.

Thanks, Don

Psalm 28:4 "Give to them according to the evil of their deeds"

"Attitude determines airspeed, throttle determines touchdown point"

TheDonFather - Videos

• I put a detachable steering wheel on last month. Mostly for ease in getting in and out, but partly for security. Ordered from slingmods.com. Pretty easy to install as long as your existing wheel isn't too had to remove. I used a security cable and ran that through the frame and steering wheel before I installed the quick release one for deterrence and to keep people from sitting in it when it was parked. Same cable I used to use through the wheels on my bike to keep people from being able to easily roll off with it.

I have another security cable that I run through the handles of my gym bag and the frame when I have to park to keep honest people honest. If they want the bag easy enough to cut the strap, but prevents people from being tempted to grab it and walk off. I drove a jeep for years and got used to not carrying anything that I couldn't live without if it was stolen out of it. I pretty much use that same logic in the SS. I had a kill switch on my old jeep and probably will do something like that again on the SS when I get around to it.

FB - North Alabama Polaris Slingshot Owners - (Huntsville)

• I use Master lock Street Cuffs to lock the steering wheel to the frame - they are available on Amazon for about $33 - Street Cuffs

i-nmQXhpj-X2.jpg

They also keep strangers from taking liberties and sitting in the driver seat without permission

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I use Master lock Street Cuffs to lock the steering wheel to the frame - they are available on Amazon for about $33 - Street Cuffs

i-nmQXhpj-X2.jpg

They also keep strangers from taking liberties and sitting in the driver seat without permission

I use the Street Cuffs and the tire lock clamp. Another smart thing when you park, always pull into the parking spot when using the steering wheel lock. Like at the motel

• I installed the Digital Guard Dawg keyless ignition without the key override that is available at AllThingsSlingshot and Slingmods. I like the convenience of keyless start and the security of the ignition being disabled when you walk away from it.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• FYI. Since the end of November 2014 when the first slingshots were delivered, I have only heard of one slingshot being stolen. That was due to the owner leaving the keys in the ignition. I'm sure there must have beem more than that one since not every owner is on the forum, but percentage wise, I don't think they are any more prone to be stolen that any other motorcycle. In fact, they are probably stolen less than the average Harley

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• FYI. Since the end of November 2014 when the first slingshots were delivered, I have only heard of one slingshot being stolen. That was due to the owner leaving the keys in the ignition. I'm sure there must have beem more than that one since not every owner is on the forum, but percentage wise, I don't think they are any more prone to be stolen that any other motorcycle. In fact, they are probably stolen less than the average Harley

I would agree. I still get people who have no earthly idea what it is, much less how to start it. If I was going to do anything it would be the quick release steering wheel. Congrats on the new slingshot.

• I have gps tracker hidden on mine. My insurance gave a pretty good discount for having it. To help keep kids from putting it in neutral and releasing the brake I have one of these (found on ebay).

• I installed the Digital Guard Dawg keyless ignition without the key override that is available at AllThingsSlingshot and Slingmods. I like the convenience of keyless start and the security of the ignition being disabled when you walk away from itI

I had this on my 2nd SS (and will be getting it on my 3rd soon). I highly recommend it. You can set it to activate while the key fob is still in your pocket so that as soon as you walk away, it disables the ignition.

The other thing is that the SS is already pretty complicated to start for someone who doesn't know. Add in the Millennial Theft Control Device (ie Manual Transmission), and you've effectively limited all the low end thieves from taking it. I think given the SS looks - with every person gawking at it - and nobody wants to mess with it in public. Even the folks who go up to touch it just wanna get a picture. (What I'm saying is not many people worry about it too much here and we haven't seen many of them stolen.)

• Personally I think all of these options, including my street cuffs, do more to ease our minds than they do to prevent theft - if someone really wants it they will take it - - in the end the best protection is your insurance

Edit: just to add, in the past I thought about doing a keyless ignition, but in the end decided against it because I didnt want to add something that would be drawing power when the Slingshot is parked - - I know its probably silly considering my sling is my daily driver and is never parked for long periods of time, but I still prefer not to do this - - JMO

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

Edited once, last by Edward Neal ().

• I installed the Digital Guard Dawg keyless ignition without the key override that is available at AllThingsSlingshot and Slingmods. I like the convenience of keyless start and the security of the ignition being disabled when you walk away from it.

I too have the Digital Guard Dawg without the key override But I also have a Scorpio Alarm system with a fuel cut off switch , siren along with a perimeter sensor.....you don't even have to touch mines, just walk near it and it's going to let you know, your to close in an annoying way ! Besides a removalable steering wheel too....

• Hello again drfubar and congratulations on the New Slingshot (afterburner ?)?? I also use a heavy duty coated steel cable around the the frame and through the steering wheel ?

Thank you, Yes sir, afterburner.

TheDonFather - Videos

• I had a scorpio alarm on my FJR and it was ok. I"ve spent most of my life in law enforcement and if someone wants to steal a vehicle they will get it. The visual deterrents like the cuffs and the tire lock are good because most shitheads are lazy and stupid and would rather grab the easier target. I think the cuffs for now and add a wheel lock for when we start staying overnight away from home. This is a great site with very helpful members. Thanks for all the great suggestions.

TheDonFather - Videos