Engine Compartment Jump Port Question

• Does the thick wire that attaches to the post on the starter go directly back to the positive post of the battery? If so, could i install an equally large wire to that post on the starter and route it to a "post" that i can install in the engine compartment so that i can easily jump my sling. I bought the jump post kit, but it says to attach it to the main output post on the alternator. But it doesn't look like the wire back to the battery is as thick as the one on the starter.

So, do you think that if I install it MY way, instead of the RECOMMENDED way, that it would be better and cause no problems?

Thanks for your advice.

Dave

• The hot lead on the side of the alternator is just a little jumper wire that goes back and attaches to the same lug on the starter as the wire coming from the battery. The wire from the battery to the starter is much heavier than that wire from the alternator to the starter.

• I’m glad you answered. And that’s what I thought. Makes me wonder why they recommended the alternator lug. I’d think it would stress that wire when jumping. Maybe because it’s easier to get to

• I’m glad you answered. And that’s what I thought. Makes me wonder why they recommended the alternator lug. I’d think it would stress that wire when jumping. Maybe because it’s easier to get to

I am guessing that exact reason, that lug is much easier to get to. If you want to hook to the lug on the starter, you have to remove the intake manifold, which is not hard to do, but might deter some people from doing it.

• dallen1059 realize that when you jump the vehicle, the current is only flowing for a few seconds until the engine starts then you disconnect the jumper cables immediately. It's not likely that the wire would build enough heat to damage it in this amount of time.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• If I takeoff the intake manifold, do I need to get a new gasket to put it back on or can I reuse the existing gasket?

The intake manifold has pockets for the gaskets molded into it. The gaskets are re-usable, so you can take the intake manifold off and re-use the same rubber gaskets that are in their already. Just make sure that the gaskets are pushed back into the pockets before you re-install.