Range gauge

• Took a ride from home NE Arkansas to Atlanta over the weekend and on the way back was watching the range gauge for fuel stops. As I was approaching Birmingham I was showing like 32 miles to empty so I figured I would ride through and stop at the flying J on Colburg road on the other side of Birmingham. Suddenly the range started dropping rapidly and began flashing the low fuel warning. Not wanting to run out I pulled over and filled up in the middle of Birmingham. The SS didn't even hole 9 gallons.
    Has anyone else seen this rapid drop on the range gauge on a trip? Or maybe even ran out of gas while watching the range gauge?

• On a loaner I had- said I had 66 miles range- thought I could make it 34 miles to a station close to home- no way! About 30 miles into the trip- it was flashing - low fuel- like crazy. Needless to say- easy on the pedal, and pulled into the first station I saw! I never rely on that anymore!

• On a loaner I had- said I had 66 miles range- thought I could make it 34 miles to a station close to home- no way! About 30 miles into the trip- it was flashing - low fuel- like crazy. Needless to say- easy on the pedal, and pulled into the first station I saw! I never rely on that anymore!

yea needless to say I'm a little gunshy about trusting it now

• I'm old school. The best range guage is the tripometer. I reset it to zero at every fill-up. At 200 miles I start thinking about getting gas. At 250 miles it's a little more urgent. The odd thing is I stretched to 270 once and still only took 9 gallons. I guess I wasn't driving hard enough. :)