Impeachment, let your Senator Know

• Looks like it has started, Majority and minority leaders have give opening statements. No witness to be heard. I am disappointed that future presidents will know, they can do anything they want and they can block anything that would not be in their favor. This is unbelievable unfair. My opinion and I base it on I want to know the truth from whatever source and it will not be available. I want to hear the defense for why the public would agree to this. Please help me understand. The thread is open for discussion as the trail has officially started.

okay - so tell me this - - if these witnesses are so important to their case why were they not called in the House and put on record before the articles of impeachment were voted on?

Seems to me as if the Democrats should have done this if they really had a good case,

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Also - if I understand it correctly we won't even know if witnesses will be allowed for several days, after all opening arguments are presented - - so please tell us where you heard there will be no witnesses?

Also as a side note why isnt this in the politics thread - - I thought the rules said that that was the only place on the forum for this type of discussion

• Why was this whole process started in the house using a total star chamber approach completely controlled ay Adam Schiff. Totally shut down of any opposition? No witnesses allowed by the opposition, no questing allowed. Now its a concern?

• I followed the House Inquiry into all this, they asked for documents and subpoenaed lots of White House members. They were denied. I want to hear evidence by one particular Previous Cabinet Member, John Bolton along with other members of his cabinet. Folks future presidents will know from what we decide now that they can do anything they want and they can block anything that does not favor their sided. Now let me hear your argument for that. I feel that is totally wrong.

I saw many wittnesses testify about their knowledge of how the president did things that were totally wrong. They took huge risk to stand up to this president to testify. Future people are going to be reluctant to report any wrong doing. God help us we are headed down a path of fear to bring forth knowledge of wrong doing in the future. What person would want to be subjected to this. With that said, there are no check going forward from this point forward. Anyone can do whatever and no report because of fear. Folks, I for one, never wanted a nation where fear is a driving force. I am 76 and this will not bother me, I am thinking of the future and how this trial will determine the future direction of what a president can do and how the evidence will be blocked and witnesses will be condemned. Democrocy has to be protected beyond all else. Not that a president is doing all the things the people want, but is he doing it with in the constitutional condition. When we get a president that is used to getting what he wants with any methods he determines necessary. We are opening up a very bad road for our future presidents to follow.

Please tell me why I am wrong.

• okay - you say you followed it, but was it fair?

Look at the disparity in the way President Nixon and President Clinton were treated during their impeachment inquiries as opposed to President Trump,

The Nixon and Clinton lawyers were allowed to participate every single day from the beginning to the end of the House impeachment inquiry, They were allowed to review evidence, suggest evidence, call witnesses and cross-examine witnesses.

By comparison, President Trump -- during his 78-day impeachment inquiry -- his lawyers were forbidden from participating for this first 71 of the 78-day process and then when they were there they were not allowed to call witnesses or cross-examine witnesses or to be there for the presentation or review of evidence.

The entire process in the House was a lynching yet now you cry about it - really?

the entire thing thus far has been a joke that never even should have been allowed to make it to the Senate

Edited once, last by Edward Neal ().

• Hello Sam,

First thanks for all the great videos. I've watched them from when I first purchased my slingshot 2 years ago!

I respect your views. I am also fearful this will lead down a path to complete government gridlock allowing every opportunity to peruse impeachment for political gain. It may also arrest executive privilege. Very dangerous to give that away. I believe President Trump is not a politician but acts as a business person. He gets things done. I like that. It's refreshing.

I does appear that he mentioned looking into Hunter Biden and corruption. (My opinion it was quid pro quo on Senator Biden) but that's opinion. It also appears as though Ukraine did get the aid. It can be said that Ukraine only got the aid after some pressure. But Ukraine did get the aid package.

Was it only through pressure? That's opinion. Perhaps witnesses could be brought into play that will bring up strong arm tactics. Honestly, unless this impeachment trial turns up something drastic it's not what I would consider grounds for impeachment. Here is my reasoning why.

He is a business person with a hard driven personality very focused on getting things done. He ran for office on that. Using the NY Skating ring as a prime example. His hard driven personality extends into all parts of his life. If you have ever watched the show on the history channel "The Men Who Built America" he has appearances as a commentator on the show (great show). It's seems to be a matter of opinion but from my view he has been constantly attacked by the democratic party from day one. Again from my view the dossier was over the top and in itself involved in controversy. He's going to hit back. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Given his track record of providing aid I honestly don't believe President Trump would have withheld the money even if no inquiry was done, and none was done prior to the aid being delivered. My opinion he feels he has been wrongly attacked and a request for an inquiry as to why the investigation into the energy company was halted by Senator Biden was appropriate.

Understood your concerns. But I also have great concerns over the need for executive privilege and what the erosion of it would cause. So... given the history of President Trump, the unique circumstances and the History of attacks (my opinion). I'm not concerned that tis is any pattern but a unique situation that warrants a warning that you are being watched and an election is just down the road.

My opinion. It doesn't reach the level of impeachment.

Two cents :)

• What are the reasons for not hearing witnesses. I guess, I am the only one that wants to hear them. I still have not hear a point of view for why the witnesses should not be heard. I will take it that it may be damaging to the president. It is the only reason available to a rational thinking persons without any other presented.

I would like to hear from any witness the present has to present. I want to hear it all, both sides.

• I appreciate the kind remarks about my video. I can see your comments are of a defense of the President and his tactics. How he is not a average type president that we are used to. I have heard the Republican House representative project the same defense. I am concerned that this not something I can support. I feel, evidence should not be withheld in any way.

I feel we differ in our views of a president that can do anything he wants. There may be other things done wrong that have not come out. This whole thing came to our attention by a Whistle Blower. I bet no other person will blow the whistle on any other thing in the future. I feel, this whole thing has restored people to voice wrong doing. We will not in the future not be warned of anything because of fear of just what has happened.

Just stating how I feel, I still respect your view and others.

• Evidence is being presented from the wittiness testimony. Do you think these dedicated career people were lying? Myself, I did not see a reason why they would do that. So many supported each other about their testimony. What is your position on this?

One of the Officials was fired because she would not support the presidents positions to pressure the Ukrainian leader to do the presidents favors.

• I appreciate the kind remarks about my video. I can see your comments are of a defense of the President and his tactics. How he is not a average type president that we are used to. I have heard the Republican House representative project the same defense. I am concerned that this not something I can support. I feel, evidence should not be withheld in any way.

I feel we differ in our views of a president that can do anything he wants. There may be other things done wrong that have not come out. This whole thing came to our attention by a Whistle Blower. I bet no other person will blow the whistle on any other thing in the future. I feel, this whole thing has restored people to voice wrong doing. We will not in the future not be warned of anything because of fear of just what has happened.

Just stating how I feel, I still respect your view and others.

Abuse of power & Obstruction of justice. Pretty broad aren't they? I think they changed along the way? My opinion, throw everything you can at the President. Something is bound to work and if it doesn't it distracts and keeps things like USMCA and the China Trad deal well tucked behind the Scenes.

• samowens44 - I have made my beliefs clear but for the sake of argument I will give you my opinion why the witnesses you want to hear should not be heard. This will let the genie out of the bottle. For the sake of argument let’s say Bolton, McCabe, etc. are forced to testify and turns out Trump is guilty as hell of trying to use his political clout to force Ukraine to help his re-election effort against Biden. Fine - the left wins and Trump is impeached. The consequences - executive privilege is a thing of the past. Do you really want ALL future Presidents working under the premise that anything they say with foreign leaders in confidence being testified to in open court drawn out by an opposing party?? There is a reason for security clearances - to keep some things secret from public consumption! What ya wanna bet Obama even regrets being caught on a hot mic telling Putin ”I can be a lot more flexible after the election” - think he wanted his private calls made public with his staff testifying UNDER OATH !! I understand your frustration with the system but do you really want to completely upset the apple cart over an obviously partisan endeavor??

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• Talk about the insane getting even further to the left, get a load of this. Today Bandy Lee (professor of psychiatry at Yale School of medicine) says Trumps order to kill Genera Soleimani was a sign of the Presidents's deteriorating mental state and called for the Speaker of the House to urgently intervene!! Now that would be grounds to impeach Pelosi for abuse of power if there ever was a case to do so. Why stop at that? Shouldn't they go after all the Generals who offered the option as well as the plan to kill him without "collateral damage"? How about the Defense secruity would agreed that this was one of the terrorists who was responsible for thousands of lives and thousands more with horrible injuries? Why wasn't Obama able to make this tough decision when he was given the same opportunity? Shouldn't he have been examined to see why he didn't have the balls to end it when given the chance? I guess he was just taking a page out of Jimmy Carter's book - Idiot's guide to dealing with Iran leaders.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones who has lived more of my life already, and my days going forward will spare me what this country of ours will be over the new few decades. I feel sorry for the youth of the country would will never have the chance to see the days when the government actually works together for the common cause

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• To all that have posted you feelings about the first day of the trial. The day has been spent debating calling Wittinesses. I see I am the only person that wants to hear them. I realize now that trump supporters would support the cause to block all truth. I respect your decisions as that is what freedom means. Under no circumstance will I look away and say it is ok with me. I think we are at a deadlock. For this part of the trial.

Let’s see what we debate next. It is a lonely place I find with my views, but I am strong for our checks and balances to work. I have one vote and that is just as powerful as anyone else’s.

Members, I will see you back tomorrow at 1 pm.

• To all that have posted you feelings about the first day of the trial. The day has been spent debating calling Wittinesses. I see I am the only person that wants to hear them. I realize now that trump supporters would support the cause to block all truth. I respect your decisions as that is what freedom means. Under no circumstance will I look away and say it is ok with me. I think we are at a deadlock. For this part of the trial.

Let’s see what we debate next. It is a lonely place I find with my views, but I am strong for our checks and balances to work. I have one vote and that is just as powerful as anyone else’s.

:00008172::00008172::00008172:

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• How can they try to say they want a fair trial when the discussion to even have an impeachment was anything but a fair hearing. Now that the Senate has control of their "house" they have decided to use the same format as was used against Clinton. Those rules were approved by a vote of 100 to ZERO. Even Shifty Schiff voted for that format. Now when they aren't controlling the room, it somehow isn't fair. Ok, PLEASE explain that to me - it was UNANIMOUSLY fair 21 years ago. What has changed? Oh yea, the FACTS have changed. Clinton actually BROKE THE LAW and lied under oath and pergury is a "high crime and misdemeanor"

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

Where were you when the Republicans were told they couldn't call witnesses in the House?

I didnt see one single post from you about that

Trump has been impeached - that will forever be a part of his legacy and YOU seem to be 100% okay that he was not allowed to defend himself in those hearings

Seriously, why do you only show disappointment now?