2020 Slingshot Reveal and info

• '09 XK-R convertible with Supercharged 5.0 L.

Sticker: $109,000

Christmas '19: they asked $25, we gave 'em $22.

Best used car deal I ever made!

Makes the $7k I saved by buying my Hyundai as a demo car look like peanuts!

All that said, I did buy Ruby brand new. (2019 SLR)

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• Wow, you are the other guy that found the deal of a lifetime. Good for you!

• I have loved Jaguar's since seeing one of those E-type V12's, that is a great looking car for a great price!

• was that while driving or sitting still?

no he was parked outside and shut it off. This was just after I said good-by to you upstairs.

Dave, one more thing. The driver is a friend of ours, one of the Vegas slingshot club members who did the driving for the rides. He is over 6 feet tall and we asked him about his leg room, how it compared to his sling. He moved around in the seat and stretched out and said he had more leg room. Too bad we didn't get some measurements. If the new one has more leg room that would be a big plus.

Also Teresa and I finally got our pictures together and I will be posting them soon. I will try to show some different ones than what has been put up.

Thanks for the tech. info. That makes me feel better about our order.

Jamesgn

• Older Jaguars are surprisingly affordable, but they are kind of thin on the ground - you're probably going to have to be willing to travel several hundred miles to get what you want. We added on a 5-yr extended warranty ($100 deductible, full mechanical coverage), added about 5K to the cost, but as expensive as these cars are to fix, I figure we'll make out okay there.

The XK also went out of production in 2015, that makes 'em a bit more reasonable, too. The XK was replaced by the F-type, super sexy car, but more of a sports job where the XK is more a GT touring machine.

The XK is also a 2+2, not a true 2-seater like the F-type. This makes it cheaper to insure by a significant amount. Just to be clear, you couldn't fit a double amputee midget back there, maybe some groceries, a backpack, or a purse, but nothing else.

Most of all, the Captain loves it, that's all that matters to me! 8)

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• I just talked with Daniel at Mancuso in Houston and he confirmed the cockpit is 3 inches longer than the 2019 model.

Jamesgn

• According to this Car and Driver article - https://www.caranddriver.com/r…-polaris-slingshot-drive/, the AutoDrive transmission is sourced from Magneti-Marelli, who in this article claim their transmission has been in use and improved since its debut in the Ferrari 355 F1 in 1997 - https://www.magnetimarelli.com…nological-excellences/amt.

Well in every single review 90% say the auto trans is underwhelming by a big margin. There are however, some reputable shops that should be able to tweak the TCU sooner or later.

• I'm wondering if we have any members with racing experience using this add-on/transmission? I think Polaris would've been better off if they had implemented a semi-automatic transmission where the driver selects the gear and the electronics determine what needs to be done for the gas-pedal, hydraulic clutch release, etc.

• I'm wondering if we have any members with racing experience using this add-on/transmission? I think Polaris would've been better off if they had implemented a semi-automatic transmission where the driver selects the gear and the electronics determine what needs to be done for the gas-pedal, hydraulic clutch release, etc.

We will all have to wait and see, but definitely got the impression at the launch that paddle shifters for the automated manual are going to happen. Then if you could cruise around in full automode, but then have control with paddles in "slingshot mode", kinda would be the best of both worlds I think.

Also, once we get into the TCM and can adjust shift speeds, that might change all of this also.

• Always good to have options ?so folks can make their own choices. I thought I'd like a paddle shift on the Vanderhall and paid extra for it. Turned out, I didn't like it any better than on a car. Seemed too much the same. Went back to Slingshot and much happier. As they say "diff strokes......"

I do think the new motor will be a nice change and with a 4 year warranty, whats to lose?

18 SLR Lemon/Gray
    Vanderhall Venice (traded for SLR Apr '18)
    '16.6 SLR LE (traded for Vanderhall Oct '17)
    '11 & '14 Can Am RT's
    60 Years of 2 Wheeling

• Always good to have options ?so folks can make their own choices. I thought I'd like a paddle shift on the Vanderhall and paid extra for it. Turned out, I didn't like it any better than on a car. Seemed too much the same. Went back to Slingshot and much happier. As they say "diff strokes......"

I do think the new motor will be a nice change and with a 4 year warranty, whats to lose?

A 4 year warranty is a very good thing to have, but if the Slingshot is constantly in the shop it would still suck. good slingshot dealers are often very far away and even if its covered by warranty it can be a royal pain to have to get things fixed

Personally I hope that this new engine turns out to be fantastic, but given Polaris's record on recalls I am not willing to be on the front lines of finding out

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I think the extended warranty does a few things

it lets them offset the objections on presenting a new unproven drive train vs the existing GM components.

it shows that they are confident enough to stand behind it.

If you were just going to buy one and drive it in a stock configuration it is a win.

If you plan on pushing it further you may be concerned about replacing parts that are not available mostly motors.

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• A 4 year warranty is a very good thing to have, but if the Slingshot is constantly in the shop it would still suck. good slingshot dealers are often very far away and even if its covered by warranty it can be a royal pain to have to get things fixed

What I do not understand about Polaris is why do they require that I go to a dealer that handles parts and accessories for the SlingShot to purchase these items? It would be so much more convenient to go to our local Polaris dealer, even though they do not handle the SlingShot specifically, and at least be able to order these items?

Bill

• Maybe Ecotec swap the 2020 ;)

• What I do not understand about Polaris is why do they require that I go to a dealer that handles parts and accessories for the SlingShot to purchase these items? It would be so much more convenient to go to our local Polaris dealer, even though they do not handle the SlingShot specifically, and at least be able to order these items?

Bill

I understand the convenience of ordering parts at any Polaris dealer, and didn't know Polaris only sells dealer parts to authorized Slingshot dealers. I'd assume Polaris hopes to make sure that Slingshots are serviced by Polaris-trained mechanics and that Polaris-certified Slingshot dealers get the benefit of the money they've paid to Polaris for inventory and presumably the authorization by Polaris to be Slingshot dealers.

I have used a local used ATV dealer to order things like spare bolts, etc., and the got he items in a couple days with no extra delivery charges.

I wonder if it's possible to add the Magneti-Marelli mechanism or something equivalent to the 1st Gen transmission?

• According to this Car and Driver article - https://www.caranddriver.com/r…-polaris-slingshot-drive/, the AutoDrive transmission is sourced from Magneti-Marelli, who in this article claim their transmission has been in use and improved since its debut in the Ferrari 355 F1 in 1997 - https://www.magnetimarelli.com…nological-excellences/amt.

I had all the Magneti-Marelli I wanted when I reached out and bought a new 1997 Harley Road King with their fuel injection. I got it in Feb, traded it in May for a 1996 with a carb and low miles. That system was junk. Just the name leave a bad taste in my mouth saying it. Maybe it's so much better that it's a good way to go. For me, I'll stick with my supercharged ecotech from 2016 and wish them well. Jump on the new version if you want. Happy for Polaris and hoping it does really well... but not for me.... thinking it will do well, but it's not coming to a garage near me.