2020 Slingshot Reveal and info

• Same here. I ran a report in Quicken of the money I've spent so for at Slingmods on goodies for my '19 SLR and my first reaction was "that can't be right"....

Exactly the reason I don't keep track of funds spent on the sling. Wouldn't want that info in the wrong hands:!:   ;)

• The more I hear about the new model the more I like it. Perhaps if I were to walk into a showroom at years end and run into a good deal on the 203 hp manual transmission model I could see myself getting into trouble :).

This is something I can say with all certainty, and this is strictly speaking personally, that we would never purchase a SlingShot with an automatic transmission, especially an automatic transmission being described as "clumsy", nor would we pay $31,000 just to get the manual transmission. I do kind of hope that this does not backfire on Polaris.

Bill

• This is something I can say with all certainty, and this is strictly speaking personally, that we would never purchase a SlingShot with an automatic transmission, especially an automatic transmission being described as "clumsy", nor would we pay $31,000 just to get the manual transmission. I do kind of hope that this does not backfire on Polaris.

Bill

the problem is they are so eager to attract a new crowd of consumers with their automatic they thought placing it as the only option in their SL model was the best way to go. You can tell Polaris is focused only on sales here and nothing else. However, at that starting price range only offering an auto and not both transmissions they going to have a hard time selling units still. It should of been more like a 23k starting price for manual and 25k for auto. Again Polaris how hard can this really be? All you had to do was listen.

• the problem is they are so eager to attract a new crowd of consumers with their automatic they thought placing it as the only option in their SL model was the best way to go. You can tell Polaris is focused only on sales here and nothing else. However, at that starting price range only offering an auto and not both transmissions they going to have a hard time selling units still. It should of been more like a 23k starting price for manual and 25k for auto. Again Polaris how hard can this really be? All you had to do was listen.

I agree. If Polaris thinks they will sell just as many units by eliminating the Base model, I believe they're making a serious mistake. Unfortunately, this pricing reflects the Survey I completed back in late 2015/early 2016. The questions about pricing of an automatic transmission model assumed there would be an additional cost on top of the SL model, which, at the time was the most expensive Slingshot model. Personally, I think they Polaris should continue offering the Base 'S' model and even offer an automatic version of the 'S' priced in between the "S" and the SL models.

That same survey also asked if I was willing to pay a $1000 premium for a quieter angle drive. Interestingly enough, that survey also asked about a cost of approximately $1600 over the SL model for an automatic transmission, which is pretty close to the $1700 premium Polaris wants for the auto version of the Slingshot R over the manual version of the Slingshot R.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• I agree with much of what is said. However some of the reviews tell of a vastly refined product. Perhaps a shortcoming on automatic shifting? Like many when it comes to the slingshot I'm not an automatic person. Also heard of the possibility for a paddle shift. Bet it will be an aftermarket option quickly.

To get a perspective I tried to look up 2020 Gold Wing Trikes. I picked the Gold Wing because I believe they are the most popular and a standard on touring trikes. A good product & a very good seller. (In general I'm a Harley Person and I already know the Harley trikes are crazy expensive). I couldn't find any but the Gold Wing itself listed as base $23,800 to $32,300. Compatible to the Slingshot. I imagine the trike is a few bucks more.

https://powersports.honda.com/goldwing/2020/index.html

The Can-Am Spider may be a lower cost but personally not a slingshot. I'm not an automatic person but it's an untapped market and offering it is a good thing. With the engine & cockpit upgrades the slingshot may still be a very good choice against other options.

For now I would like to see the new models. Some reviews are very positive.

• I t does seem strange that Polaris would continue to sell the Base S model as the lowest cost model since that means they're selling the automatic models with a relatively untested engine at a higher price than the known GM motor. I can understand continuing to sell GM-powered Slingshots to get rid of existing engine inventory or meet contractual requirements, but it makes no sense to sell the GM-powered model as the lowest-cost Slingshot, especially since the Ecotec motor offers a significantly better HP/Torque combination (IMO) compared to the new Polaris engine in either tune configuration.

• I agree. If Polaris thinks they will sell just as many units by eliminating the Base model, I believe they're making a serious mistake. Unfortunately, this pricing reflects the Survey I completed back in late 2015/early 2016. The questions about pricing of an automatic transmission model assumed there would be an additional cost on top of the SL model, which, at the time was the most expensive Slingshot model. Personally, I think they Polaris should continue offering the Base 'S' model and even offer an automatic version of the 'S' priced in between the "S" and the SL models.

That same survey also asked if I was willing to pay a $1000 premium for a quieter angle drive. Interestingly enough, that survey also asked about a cost of approximately $1600 over the SL model for an automatic transmission, which is pretty close to the $1700 premium Polaris wants for the auto version of the Slingshot R over the manual version of the Slingshot R.

Agree but I believe they are still offering the base model as is and labeled as a 2019. Perhaps until all the ecotec engines are phased out. Then hopefully fitting the base module with the new engine? The new line-up as below.

https://slingshot.polaris.com/…&__s=xbizciwf2xnwqa5whjqj

• I t does seem strange that Polaris would continue to sell the Base S model as the lowest cost model since that means they're selling the automatic models with a relatively untested engine at a higher price than the known GM motor. I can understand continuing to sell GM-powered Slingshots to get rid of existing engine inventory or meet contractual requirements, but it makes no sense to sell the GM-powered model as the lowest-cost Slingshot, especially since the Ecotec motor offers a significantly better HP/Torque combination (IMO) compared to the new Polaris engine in either tune configuration.

When checking out the different model options, the SL and R are the only 2020 models, the S and Grand Touring are listed as 2019s and, like you already surmised, probably just getting rid of stock on hand.

In the beginning there where only two SlingShot models offered, one was the SL in Red Pearl, Coincidence?

Bill

• my 19 is a work in progress (SlingMods I can see you grinning) lol

Soooo true! If you take the time to look closely there is nary an inch that hasn’t been touched in some way on mine. Mostly subtle. My SS is no different than my bikes-constantly in metamorphosis🙂

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• When checking out the different model options, the SL and R are the only 2020 models, the S and Grand Touring are listed as 2019s and, like you already surmised, probably just getting rid of stock on hand.

In the beginning there where only two SlingShot models offered, one was the SL in Red Pearl, Coincidence?

Bill

I hope that Polaris will switch the Base model to the new engine/transmission and not abandon the affordable entry point of the Base model Slingshot.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• I hope that Polaris will switch the Base model to the new engine/transmission and not abandon the affordable entry point of the Base moodle Slingshot.

Well said BKL - for me, if I end up getting another one someday, I will look for another base model and once again make it my own. There are so many aftermarket options for the Slingshot starting from scratch and individualizing is a cool thing/option.

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• I posted this on another thread but it fits here too.

After seeing the new "design" I asked myself a question. Is it really a redesign or just copying all the mods already out there?

Automatic tranny-been done

Different motor-been done

LED lights-been done

Close out panels-been done

Flat bottom wheel- been done

Etc.

The only real change is the steering wheel controls, which will limit changing out the wheel to something better.

I'll keep my 15.

• Yes sir, I'm keeping my 17' , invested enough to not even think about trading it in.....