2020 Slingshot Reveal and info

• It appears that the frame has some changes but it looks like the engine is sitting in the same mounts. And that would make sense also.

There is an automatic transmission however it's actually the manual transmission with a hydraulic brain box that shifts the manual. So technically there is only one transmission. I will let Dave fill in the details.

• I'd be happy if in the mix they used real screws, bolts, and nuts and got away from the push pins. Minor stuff like that would go a long way for us more seasoned Slingshot owners. I do like some of the improvements but not enough to pay to trade up. On the torque issue, I see 8500 RPM stated, did they destroke the engine to get the R's but losing some torque?

I'm used to mine, it fits me, i have the mods i want, most of them anyway, its paid for and in the end will get me the same place the new one would.

The auto without the torque converter that acts like a manual is just like the VW 's DSG which I have in my Jetta, love it. It has the feel and drivability of a manual without the parasitic loss of power of the TQ. And it is very paddle suitable oriented.

Just my nickels worth.

LC

• From photos in the reviews, it appears the left side steering wheel controls are all about the audio: volume, mute, switching tracks. The right side is cruise control (no more fragile turn signal switches) and a "page control" for the digital display in the center. The red button has a slingshot logo, I'm assuming this is for the drive modes.

You can see the photo much better in the article here.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/…gshot-first-drive-review/

• I really like what I have seen so far, but I'm not in the market! I'm happy with what I have done to mine and it fits what I want. Having said that, I hope they sell well and will continue to improve in the future. It's up to Polaris how this all plays out. I would like that new steering ratio though........

:HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS::SILVERSS:My paint is fast, TURBO Silver!

• Guardian_Angel , without saying anything you are not supposed to, can you clear up some confusion for me ? Today the Base S has disappeared off the website with the Ecotech and only the GT remains on the site as of right now with an Ecotech but listed as a 2019 model.

Has Polaris announced, that the Ecotech will or will not be available in the GT as a 2020 someday ? and the S ? or are they still keeping us in the dark and guessing on the future of the Ecotech in Slingshots? IF THEY ARENT OFFICIALLY SAYING ANYTHING YET IN THAT REGARD, don't be afraid to tell me that I may still have to appear in a state of confusion, lol

• Has Polaris announced, that the Ecotech will or will not be available in the GT as a 2020 someday ?

Allegedly their plan is to "in the future" move 100% of the models to the in house engine, which to me means that as soon as they use whatever stock/contractual obligation they have from GM then the ecotech will disappear as an OEM option.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• Does anyone have any idea what the "2 Drive Modes" are? This feature is offered on both the manual and auto from what I've read, but I couldn't find any specifics on what it does online.

there is the “comfort mode” and the “slingshot mode”. It is controlled by a button on the steering wheel. The slingshot mode changes engine parameters and steering response for a more “sporty driving experience”

• Guardian_Angel , without saying anything you are not supposed to, can you clear up some confusion for me ? Today the Base S has disappeared off the website with the Ecotech and only the GT remains on the site as of right now with an Ecotech but listed as a 2019 model.

Has Polaris announced, that the Ecotech will or will not be available in the GT as a 2020 someday ? and the S ? or are they still keeping us in the dark and guessing on the future of the Ecotech in Slingshots? IF THEY ARENT OFFICIALLY SAYING ANYTHING YET IN THAT REGARD, don't be afraid to tell me that I may still have to appear in a state of confusion, lol

I did not hear anything about using the current Ecotec LE9 engine in the Slingshot moving forward. The engineers I was talking to were very proud of the new engine and transmission in the new Slingshot.

• Neosolidus , crap eh ! That would not be the way to go in my mind , but yes fewer versions does streamline cost, but, at the expense of sales ? who knows at this stage.

Only time will tell how reliable the new engine is going to be. We would love for the engine to stay as the Ecotec since we have been working with that engine since 2006, but it is a pretty old engine design at this point. The new engine seems to be a good design from what I gathered at the event with much better efficiency and should respond really well to forced induction, already have ideas on how to do the supercharger 😃

From what I understand the GT will keep the 2.4 engine and 5 speed transmission. No change

• From what I understand the GT will keep the 2.4 engine and 5 speed transmission. No change

Looking at the current "build options" on Polaris Slingshot website:

1. Base "S" model has no change. Color is White. Engine remains the GM Ecotec with 5 speed standard. All body panels are the same as 2019.

2. GT model appears unchanged. Color is Black w/white stripes. Engine remains the GM Ecotec with 5 speed standard. All body panels are the same as 2019.

3. SL model appears available with the new body panels and the new engine. The only current transmission option is the new Autodrive. Perhaps this is a marketing strategy to unload the remaining inventory of the old body style. Personally, I think many existing Slingshot enthusiasts prefer a standard transmission so, I doubt there will be lines of people trading their existing SL models this year.

4. SLR model appears to have all the new features, including an option for standard transmission.

I like much of the changes. Headlights look great. Radio is now vertical. I would be willing to speculate that you can actually see it rather than a blinding reflection of the sun. Integrated controls on the steering wheel certainly gets away from that 1990's Volvo turn signal with cruise settings.

I am sure we will see aftermarket "retrofit" headlights for 2015-19 models that will mimic the new design.

• Models will always change - this 2020 has some cool things.

Just walked out to the garage, stood for a second, smiled. I’m very happy in my “relationship” with my 2016.
    There are many many more memories/miles left in the “they don’t make that color anymore” ol girl😎!

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎