2020 Slingshot Reveal and info

• I had all the Magneti-Marelli I wanted when I reached out and bought a new 1997 Harley Road King with their fuel injection. I got it in Feb, traded it in May for a 1996 with a carb and low miles. That system was junk. Just the name leave a bad taste in my mouth saying it. Maybe it's so much better that it's a good way to go. For me, I'll stick with my supercharged ecotech from 2016 and wish them well. Jump on the new version if you want. Happy for Polaris and hoping it does really well... but not for me.... thinking it will do well, but it's not coming to a garage near me.

I like my Ecotec w/Hahn Stage 2 turbo setup, but feel I might see better performance using an automatic with my turbo'd motor, but I also would prefer a clutchless semi-auto trans where I can choose my own shift-points when I want to. I would hope that 22+ years development has made the newest version of the clutch-less trans more refined.

• I just drove a 2019.5 with the new Polaris 2.0 powerplant. All I can say is she will turn 9000 rpm and I am betting you could balance a nickel on the valve cover. I personally ran it up to 100mph and when back to 3rd gear and climbed to 115mph in a split second. The whole sling is smooth as silk.

• I just drove a 2019.5 with the new Polaris 2.0 powerplant. All I can say is she will turn 9000 rpm and I am betting you could balance a nickel on the valve cover. I personally ran it up to 100mph and when back to 3rd gear and climbed to 115mph in a split second. The whole sling is smooth as silk.

And in a Blue one at that !!!!

• I guess you could say they have refined the slingshots drive train to act more sporty and transfer less vibration to the cockpit.

Another thing that I found interesting. The weights are way down. (I don't know what the brochure says, These are the weights on the scales at the plant) 1582 lbs for the manual and 1597 lbs for the automatic..

I wanted to shift it early everytime around 6000rpm. Yall will just have to trust me when I tell you it's just waking up at 6000rpm.

I have another meeting next week with management and I'll have more info to pass on...

• Not sure how I feel about it “just waking up at 6,000” sounds like it could be a kick out in the twisties or on the track, but I wonder how well that works in daily riding around town.

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Info

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• So are you dumping the white beast for one of those new sportier models?

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• Edward Neal it is smooth from idle to 9000rpm. What I meant by that earlier statement was that when I thought I should be shifting it still had 3000 "usable" rpm.

People that currently own a slingshot need to pay close attention to this paragraph .....When you go to the dealer and take it out for a test drive remember to use the new RPM that it has available. Because you are used to the sound and feel of your current Slingshot you will want to short shift it. If you do shift it around 6500rpm you will not walk away with the real picture of what Polaris has accomplished. They designed this engine to turn up to the higher limits. It is not like having a burst of power. It is just a smooth continuation of the power band as it passes what we currently know as our red line.... SO GRIT YOUR TEETH AND LET IT WIND UP...... I believe you will smile and agree that it is a very good replacement for our current GM engine.

I don't want to reveal all the cards before the dealers get there shipments but trust me when I tell yall it is a big improvement over the original GM HEARTBEAT. It has plenty of power. I can confidently tell you that "IF YOU WANT" to break the rear loose in 2nd and even 3rd gear while traveling at speed you will be able to accomplish this. This is not something that many people would want to do but with a little clutch action it will make some nice tire smoke.

MACAWS I am going to hang on to the white beast for a while longer. It is absolutely perfect and it provides me with endless power. I have it dialed in and everything on it works just like it is supposed to.. The white beast fears no Sling old or new. 8) :thumbsup:

One last thing to remember when test driving a new Slingshot. IF you currently have even a small amount of boost from either a turbo or supercharger you will walk away knowing you won't be overtaken by a new stock slingshot. Don't compare it to a boosted Sling.... I say that because I know that someone will drive their 250+hp slingshot to the dealer and take one out for a test drive. And they won't stop and remember how an original stock Slingshot performs. So if you are boosted and go for a test drive please remember the old days pre-boost before posting a review.

I do belive we will be able to add boost to these new engines fairly easily. With this new RPM limit and a smidgen of boost it will definitely be a fun toy..

• Are they staying with the Kenda tires on the new models?

Can't say for sure. Here is a close up of the two pictures I have of the one I drove. Remember it is a 2019.5 year model. It has the new engine and transmission and the older center console. So some things are obviously differnt between it and the 2020. I can't see why they wouldn't keep the partnership with Kenda.

Here are the two pics I have. Maybe someone can verify that these are Kendas

• Yes that is the newer Kenda markings, I have I think 2 or 3 of them They came on that brand new set of 2015 Polaris wheels and tires that I bought for around $425

GREAT. This makes me even more sure after I confirmed my order with Mancuso yesterday. Now the wait until the April deliveries. Did I mention the R in blue.

Jamesgn

• Not sure how I feel about it “just waking up at 6,000” sounds like it could be a kick out in the twisties or on the track, but I wonder how well that works in daily riding around town.

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Info

From my experience with the Can-Am Spyder running at higher RPM's it was fun but on a long trip the gas mileage was terrible. I do not know what RPM these run at just going down the road at 75 or 80 but if it is high there will be more frequent gas stops.

When the going gets tough.... Downshift.

• Looking at this pic from https://automotive.kendatire.c…s/find-a-tire/uhp/kaiser/, the Slingshot tire looks like a rebranded Kenda Kaiser KR20.

• From my experience with the Can-Am Spyder running at higher RPM's it was fun but on a long trip the gas mileage was terrible. I do not know what RPM these run at just going down the road at 75 or 80 but if it is high there will be more frequent gas stops.

yup. Usually higher sustained RPMs = more power but also more gas spending. Who cares about gas tho ;)

• Shit, it appears the Canadians will not get the new headlights in the 2020,s probably something to do with the Reg's that deemed we never had center headlights here. Hmmm may be a small market here to convert new Canadian headlights to U.S headlights, lol now that's a reversal.

• I read a post that claimed the poster had spoken to someone at Polaris and reported he was told the 2020 Slingshot offered 3" more legroom compared to the 1st gen Slingshot, but I can't remember which forum I was on.

yes I think I read that in one of the reviews but I thought he was speaking on the passenger side and figured it may be possible for a bump out there as the honking big muffler is different on the new Prostars