New 2020 teaser

• Really? "The biggest news since Slingshot launched in 2015" is just days away and this is all the excitement that it is generating?

Bill

The leaked video footage from the dealer meeting sort of stole the "biggest news" thunder since anyone that saw the video has a pretty good idea what the big announcement is going to be. I think most all of us assume that the announcement is going to be an automatic transmission and a new engine. Hard to have a "big announcement" when your dealers are leaking the information months in advance.

FB - North Alabama Polaris Slingshot Owners - (Huntsville)

• Is the new Slingshot going to have a auto transmission as a option for sure or is it speculation?
    I do like he front end lights.

My guess that they will all have automatic transmissions now (along with the new engine). Polaris just doesn't build enough slingshots to make the economy of scale worth the effort and cost of building manual and automatic versions in my opinion. With so few units produced the advantage of just having one drive train to streamline the manufacturing process is probably just too much to warrant having multiple engine / transmission options.

FB - North Alabama Polaris Slingshot Owners - (Huntsville)

• Transmission?

Fully automatic, CVT, DCT, or AMT?

Fully automatic would be most preferred by customer, but most limiting due to overall weight to vehicle and limiting future potential plans.

CVT would be cost friendly to produce for the manufacturer but a hard sale in a sport vehicle.

DCT, high cost for manufacturer and customer alike.

AMT, a manual transmission with no clutch pedal. Clutch and shift are hydraulically handled through a controller. Can be fully automated and/or controlled by user.

Which way do think Polaris will go.

Find out soon.

https://slingshot.polaris.com/en-us/

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• My guess is CVTX/:sleeping:

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Front wheel drive would be the smart move, This way the rear wheel will be along just for the ride...

And no more Rube Goldberg rear belt /Angle drive ......Like the Vanderhall..

Some times a Cigar is just a Cigar.......

• extremely unlikely they will use a DCT transmission. It will be a shitty auto, CVT most likely.

• Really? "The biggest news since Slingshot launched in 2015" is just days away and this is all the excitement that it is generating?

Bill

There is not much to be excited about if anything at all. LEDs ? No. Auto transmission? Not for most of us. A different engine? Most slingshot owners are perfectly happy with the current motor and numbers and is more than enough for them. I just dont see nothing to be hyped about except maybe color combos 🤣

• The automatic will most likely be called "Autodrive" based on Polaris trademarks for 3 wheeled motor vehicles for on road use, so hopefully it is a true automatic, but I can not find any automatics that Polaris currently makes, they are all CVT's, so you may be right -

I forgot about that patent app. That does seem to infer something new but Polaris has been doing CVTs really well for a really long time...

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• WE ARE IN! Got the tickets, Flights, car, Room,Etc. Looking for an excuse to go now we have one. WHO else is going, Vegas Baby!

Front wheel drive would be the smart move, This way the rear wheel will be along just for the ride...

Who the hell wants to smoke the front wheels?

Jamesgn

• Front wheel drive would be the smart move, This way the rear wheel will be along just for the ride...

Agreed that front wheel drive would be a game changer. It might even help make it road worthy in the rain. That alone (being able to ride SAFELY in the rain) is one reason why I won't be taking too many long multiple day trips riding the slingshot. There's nothing worse than planning a 3 day trip and having to stay in a hotel room for two days waiting for the rains to stop. I can't see how some of the members here have been able to ride hundreds of miles in the rain and keep it on the road and not have their shorts tucked up their butts when the ass end kicks around doing 60 mph. I must be getting too old or too cautious to press my luck too many more times

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• I have been riding for YEARS. Even took my riding course way back when in the RAIN. I've never enjoyed riding in the rain before, but once I realized that a bike was so stable (unless the water was deep and you were to hydroplane) it didn't seem to bother me much. But this thing is a death trap just waiting to hurt you (IMHO). I've spun it around while riding straight when an oncoming 18 wheeler kicked up "a tidal wave of water" that hit the body and kicked the rear end out from the straight line it was headed. I've also had to deal with a similar result on a 2 lane interstate highway outside of Denver when the rains hit. Construction closed one of the lanes, so visualize I-80 (I think) with up and down mountains and heavy rains trying to go slow enough to control the trike, yet fast enough to not get run over by the 18 wheelers trying to get up enough speed to climb the next hill. The next exit couldn't come soon enough that day.

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• I have been riding for YEARS. Even took my riding course way back when in the RAIN. I've never enjoyed riding in the rain before, but once I realized that a bike was so stable (unless the water was deep and you were to hydroplane) it didn't seem to bother me much. But this thing is a death trap just waiting to hurt you (IMHO). I've spun it around while riding straight when an oncoming 18 wheeler kicked up "a tidal wave of water" that hit the body and kicked the rear end out from the straight line it was headed. I've also had to deal with a similar result on a 2 lane interstate highway outside of Denver when the rains hit. Construction closed one of the lanes, so visualize I-80 (I think) with up and down mountains and heavy rains trying to go slow enough to control the trike, yet fast enough to not get run over by the 18 wheelers trying to get up enough speed to climb the next hill. The next exit couldn't come soon enough that day.

its definitely dangerous in the rain. When we drove up from Miami to Savannah, GA (roughly 7 hours) we caught rain and it was miserable. I hydroplaned multiple times and one of them almost threw me off the road. When you add rain + night it becomes even worse. I definitely try to avoid the rain as much as possible. I have been driving for 20+ years and I have never felt scared until I drove in intense rain on the sling.

Actually, if you read the origins of the SS, it was planned to be a FWD. But the driving dynamics were shxx so they went to rear. The magazine articles and pictures on it are here somewhere.