Thermal R&D Exhaust Systems - Install Reviews

• I got to say, after installing a handful of Welter Performance systems, the Thermal R&D systems are seriously lacking in QA and quality overall. The main run of pipes are butt fitted vs slip fit. Portions of the exhaust are smaller than 2". Alignment on the touring version (Lower rear exit) is a joke. There really isn't a lot of wiggle room to adjust it since the rear section is attached via rubber hangers. Neither version was truly above frame as both installs had different places exposed under the frame. If you're in the market for a rear exhaust... my opinion, pay the premium for a better manufactured system. While you are at it, snag a 2.5" exhaust incase you decide to boost.

Oh, and if you are not switching from a stock exhaust to this system, be sure you have enough springs (6 total) Polaris part number: 7043726 and an exhaust seal Polaris part number: 3610211

Thumbnail version of the photos attached.

Joey | 2016.5 Base Black :BLACKSS:
    "Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor" | "Si Ego Certiorem Faciam... Mihi Tu Delendus Eris"

"Dating a skinny chick is fun until you hit 110mph in the Slingshot and she flies out like a napkin... thumbsup.png" - 2W2X1

• Sure is the best looking exhaust I've seen

I agree their offerings are appealing. Just have to run the list of pros and cons for yourself. Just wanted to help assure some of those on the fence.

"Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor" | "Si Ego Certiorem Faciam... Mihi Tu Delendus Eris"

"Dating a skinny chick is fun until you hit 110mph in the Slingshot and she flies out like a napkin... thumbsup.png" - 2W2X1

• I was looking at the stock replacement and exit one on Slingmods. I liked the fact that it was ceramic coated, and it exited in the stock place. However, the Sling I got from Brody DDMWorks Supercharged, has the side exit Alpha, and it's going bad. I contacted Slingmods (William) and he told me that a 2 1/2" system for boosted would be available in 2020 from Thermal R&D. With the boosted, I would need to plug the hole from the side exit, and the original one (not for boosted) that they did for stock doesn't come with a CAT delete. By the time I pay for the larger size of 2 1/2", and the CAT delete, I was up to the Welter price for black Friday on SlingshotOnly. I ordered the 2 1/2" boosted system FSX with ceramic coating (and it comes off the header, no CAT delete needed) from them. I haven't gotten it yet, but should be coming soon. I'll give first impressions, and after the fact, including a follow up after the weather breaks and I've put some miles on it.

• I was looking at the stock replacement and exit one on Slingmods. I liked the fact that it was ceramic coated, and it exited in the stock place. However, the Sling I got from Brody DDMWorks Supercharged, has the side exit Alpha, and it's going bad. I contacted Slingmods (William) and he told me that a 2 1/2" system for boosted would be available in 2020 from Thermal R&D. With the boosted, I would need to plug the hole from the side exit, and the original one (not for boosted) that they did for stock doesn't come with a CAT delete. By the time I pay for the larger size of 2 1/2", and the CAT delete, I was up to the Welter price for black Friday on SlingshotOnly. I ordered the 2 1/2" boosted system FSX with ceramic coating (and it comes off the header, no CAT delete needed) from them. I haven't gotten it yet, but should be coming soon. I'll give first impressions, and after the fact, including a follow up after the weather breaks and I've put some miles on it.

Yeah buddy! You’re going to like that WP FSX exhaust. But them springs are fun. Sounds real good too.

• I got to drive the thermal exhaust this evening. I found an odd drone coming from the front. And that initial burn in is nasty... worse than header wrap. Lol

Let me know how that one works. I was also looking at the Thermal - both the rear exits and the FSX. I just don't like the looks of the "motorcycle" style exhausts coming out the rear, although I do admit they sound and perform great. And then the decision if I stay NA or go boosted.

• Let me know how that one works. I was also looking at the Thermal - both the rear exits and the FSX. I just don't like the looks of the "motorcycle" style exhausts coming out the rear, although I do admit they sound and perform great. And then the decision if I stay NA or go boosted.

I will post in here for sure, keep watching!

If you asked the question, you already know the answer...;)

Yeah, I get that.... fought with staying N/A until finding the one I have now! Love it, but will be a bit of an animal in the curve exits..... :D

• Just will take a little time learning to drive the new machine.

Maybe a bit more than a "little". With a 315 Nitto, first and second are useless unless you feather the pedal. 3rd can break loose at 60 degrees at 40 mph, and at 90 it will still break loose if upper RPM. Before I could just enter the curve in a gear with power, put my right foot to the floor, and drive it thru. No more, unless I'm thinking either ditch or 180 degrees on direction. I will get it, but I'm a believer that N/A is always going to be fastest if in very tight twisties.....

That said, I can learn to come close to that... really close. And you know that time when you want a little more... or a bit more to pass? I have that in spades!!

No regrets, I'll make this work and it will reward me in other ways! :evil:

• Maybe a bit more than a "little". With a 315 Nitto, first and second are useless unless you feather the pedal. 3rd can break loose at 60 degrees at 40 mph, and at 90 it will still break loose if upper RPM. Before I could just enter the curve in a gear with power, put my right foot to the floor, and drive it thru. No more, unless I'm thinking either ditch or 180 degrees on direction. I will get it, but I'm a believer that N/A is always going to be fastest if in very tight twisties.....

That said, I can learn to come close to that... really close. And you know that time when you want a little more... or a bit more to pass? I have that in spades!!

No regrets, I'll make this work and it will reward me in other ways! :evil:

The Nitto 555 G-2 is the worst tire for traction that I have had on my Slingshot

• The Nitto 555 G-2 is the worst tire for traction that I have had on my Slingshot

Agree 100%! This tire spins much to easily! I have read about how great this tire is, but I'm so not a fan! I have a Kenda 315 (new) to go on that rim, and the General G-Max that I had on the other SS was eons better (still have that with 1/3 or better tread on a rim) and I still have a new one on a rim in the garage. That will help, but there's just no more "RPM up, pedal to the floor, drive thru it" now. I truly wish I could find a way to mix this. N/A when on serious curves, but boost other times. I'll learn it, but I tell you, it is an unforgiving beast. Well, that is if you try to really use it other than straight line (even then, traction is and issue). Just need more stick, maybe even more than I have had on my past SS.

• I got to drive the thermal exhaust this evening. I found an odd drone coming from the front. And that initial burn in is nasty... worse than header wrap. Lol

Sorry Brother but you must have gotten a bad exhaust, I have that exact same exhaust on my sling and the sound is awesome and sounds great on the track at 118 mph, had no problem with smell or fumes at all and it opens the back up for more tire options. I highly reccommend this exhaust.

Now I did have it installed by my local mechanic who was able to put it on a lift which makes all the difference, took about 1.5 hours to do the entire install and those springs are essential. You need 8 springs and since I didn't have any since I was replcing theWelter rear outsider exhaust I found what I needed at our local ACE Hardware.

It would be nice if they offered an option to purchase the springs with the exhaust if you need them.

Life is simple ... you're either "Qualified or you're Not'

• If you are replacing the stock system you will have enough springs. Not sure why yours did not line up right, mine is perfect. As far as the butt fit, they are bolted together and have a gasket. The exhaust ends are slip fit with a clamp. I consider the butt fit easier to match up and will make it a much easier task to remove when I trade my Slingshot for a different one.

I am pretty sure I would want to take the exhaust with me to install on my next Slingshot. Until Polaris gets the passenger heat issue solved this exhaust is the best way to eliminate that heat, IMHO. But I have not tried other exhausts. Just seems from others experience the heat was greatly diminished.

No fumes or strange smell on mine either. Just the normal burn in smell, gone after 100 miles or less. Not sure what to think about the uneven exhaust tips. May be a quality control issue. Mine lined up near perfect. I feel for you on the looks of the alignment. I would not be happy at all if mine turned out like that.

Mine does not have a drone, at least not at a frequency I can hear. My Wife and I take a couple several 1000 mile trips a year and we would not put up with an annoying drone for hours and days at a time. Wish you lived closer to me, maybe I would have been able to help you in some way.

If you get hit, it's because you were there.

• I just installed this on jackstands and didn't feel it was too bad. I think they did a great job with the tight clearance. Have not driven it yet but i do like what i hear.

Just to break up all the black, i hit the edge if the tips with a palm sander...small touch that i feel looks good.