Gas gauge

• Not sure if anyone is touched on this and if I am being redundant in this thread sorry. Has anyone approached having a larger better easier to read gas gauge either analog or digital? Surely there is some kind of sensor coming off the gas tank to the front instruments. Has anyone thought of or actually set up and extra more readable fuel gauge? I for one would love to have one!:/

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• Not sure if anyone is touched on this and if I am being redundant in this thread sorry. Has anyone approached having a larger better easier to read gas gauge either analog or digital? Surely there is some kind of sensor coming off the gas tank to the front instruments. Has anyone thought of or actually set up and extra more readable fuel gauge? I for one would love to have one!:/

Socal, I like to use the Fuel Range as a accurate gauge of how much fuel I have. My fuel consumption was consistent at around 28 mpg. So taking looks at that value gave me a good indication of if I needed fuel for my trip and where I need to stop to get some. This is just for added information, the fuel gauge would also be better than the bar gauge. I know there are some new owners that don't know what the black mode switch is used for, as I have been asked and had to do a video on it. So for anyone that does not know how to access the fuel range indication, here is a link to my Mode Switch Video

Mode Switch Explained

Yeah, that bar graph gauge is pretty bad. Needs to be bigger/longer and more segments. I do like samowens44 and use the range indicator.

• Socal, I like to use the Fuel Range as a accurate gauge of how much fuel I have. My fuel consumption was consistent at around 28 mpg. So taking looks at that value gave me a good indication of if I needed fuel for my trip and where I need to stop to get some. This is just for added information, the fuel gauge would also be better than the bar gauge. I know there are some new owners that don't know what the black mode switch is used for, as I have been asked and had to do a video on it. So for anyone that does not know how to access the fuel range indication, here is a link to my Mode Switch Video

Mode Switch Explained

On the 2015 the fuel gauge had 9 bars which was one gallon per bar, I have not looked at the 2016 to see how many bars it has. I know that some of the later models did not have 9 bars

• I think "one's" eyesight makes the difference. All of us looking at the same item and some of us have NO problem ---- others can't see it.

Hey Buddy! I can see it but could be Sooooo much better. I do have the “miles to stranded “ on the Fuel Range setting on trips- just being nit-picky I guess 🤓

To me the fuel gauge bars are an “oh that’s right we forgot, we have to put a fuel gauge in, let's shoe horn it in up here” affair .

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• I drive all of my vehicles with the trip miles displayed....

I fill the SS when I get to 160....that leaves me with 2 bars showing.....I can give the clerk a $20 bill and it is just enough to top it off. Just over 5 gallons...

I never run my other tanks below half... those I do at 150-200.....I give the clerk $60 and that usually tops it off.

I make sure I have enough problem free gas in my tanks to mix with whatever is going in....just Incase I get some bad gas...it will dilute the bad stuff....

• Hmmmm, I've put in 9.5 at times. Never worry about running out. I start thinking about getting gas at the 250-275 mark since I've been getting 33-34mpg for the last 68k miles.

my SS mileage is still only 26 average....

I worry about getting bad gas especially after a very bad experience that happened in 1992....with 29 gallons of bad gas......

how do you get rid of 29 gallons of bad gas? My vehicle barely stayed running.....bucking and kicking, had to stop in neutral and keep gunning the motor to keep it running and drop it into drive while giving it gas....cost me hundreds of dollars to rectify that mess....plus many days of down time.....

consider this when you are on a trip hundreds of miles away from home.....you’re screwed....if you buy 9 gallons of bad gas....and can’t keep the motor running.

being able to dilute several gallons of bad gas with several gallons of good gas already in the tank could save you a long distance tow job. And the repair costs....